Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Nancy Sinatra’s announcement was prompted by a sentence in this review of her daughter AJ Lambert’s current show featuring the album:

Bruce Fessier on Instagram: “Just heard A.J. Lambert sing her grandfather's album, "Frank Sinatra Sings For Only the Lonely" in its entirety at Michael Holmes' Purple Room…”

“…I'd love to hear AJ do this show again at the Annenberg this fall to celebrate the re-mastered 60th anniversary re-release of "Only the Lonely." ”​

(Emphasis on re-mastered)

2. Bob F

A definite possibility. Note, in the above-linked review, that AJ sings “Lush Life” as part of her album tribute show:
    The session tape has circulated for years, and I think it would make a nice inclusion in a deluxe box set.

Beaneydave, bozburn, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I had written in another thread that, if you listen to the four Capitol wrist-slasher albums in chronological order, each conveys a greater depth of loss and despair than its predecessor. The singer on Wee Small Hours still clings to a shred of optimism. By the time you hit No One Cares, there is almost a stark sense of resignation.

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

We've been down that road before.....but we can always be hopeful that THIS one will be better.

5. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I must admit it’s not an album I find myself listening to, too sad.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I find it to be almost a celebration of sadness or an ode to late-night depression, a warm goo of sullenness in which I can roll around and wallow to my heart's content. It's therapeutic. No One Cares? That's the album that crosses the line into misery for me. I think it's a great, well made, well executed album, but you really need to hide the bullets.

Tommyboy, Runicen, Arkoffs and 10 others like this.
  7. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

This is turning out to be the best year for new releases since, the 100 anniversary.

bozburn, MarkusGermany and MLutthans like this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

FS Sings for Only the Lonely is to Sinatra as Pet Sounds is to the Beach Boys and as Abbey Road is to the Beatles.

In fact, I think Only the Lonely is the greatest album in this world, in this solar system, in this galaxy, in this galaxy cluster, in the galactic super cluster, in the observable universe, and in this multi-verse.

Yeah, I guess that about covers it. :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :whistle:

I await this new edition, anxiously!!

9. MLutthans

Finally, I can justify "copy #18." Woot?

10. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Well, definitely for research purposes, anyway...

11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

There is a wealth of session material out there including a notably different arrangement of Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry from the mostly scrapped session mentioned earlier in the thread. That got a legit release on the European Edition of the Ultimate Sinatra 4CD set back in 2015. Only available via a download code that accompanied the box.

DmitriKaramazov and CBackley like this.
  12. Bob F

Also available on the bonus EP disc in the Japan Ultimate Sinatra 5-CD set (and the UK promo CD-R set).

ecoutez and kennyluc1 like this.
  13. MLutthans

[​IMG]
    ...and It's a Lonesome Old Town, from the regular session, but unedited, with a different trombone solo than the released version.[/QUOTE]
    I had a little scintilla of a thought that something had come out from that session, which is why I worded it that way. Couldn't recall what it was. Thanks for the reminder, guys!

14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I hope that alternate version of “Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry” makes this set. It’s the only one of those Ultimate Sinatra exclusive bonus tracks I haven’t acquired (or heard). The originally-released album cut is one of my favorite Sinatra tracks.

They should also put the piano-only version of “One for My Baby” on this set, for those fans who don’t have the 3-CD Capitol Years set, and for the sake of completeness (or as close to it as possible). That version is gorgeous.

Benno123, bozburn, Ere and 1 other person like this.
  15. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I forgot that it got a physical release.

Also, I suppose it's worth noting the studio rehearsal version of One for My Baby (sans orchestration) that appeared on The Capitol Years compilation in 1990. And some of the bootlegs that are in circulation.

There's a trove of content that exists that can be tapped.

I also hope that this signals the beginning of a shift in the content that UMG produces re: Sinatra. Don't get me wrong, I love the annual box sets of concerts but I really do want more session material.

16. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

FINALLY ! Please, oh please, let this be done right....

John Porcellino, RSteven and CBackley like this.
  17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

You think it will be available on streaming services?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I hope this is as awesome audio and mastering wise, as it is thorough. EMI and Universal has done well by Frank's Capitol material of late on LP, no complaints most of the time.

CBackley likes this.
  19. Bob F

Absolutely.

20. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

I'm really excited for this re-issue.
    Discovered it a few years ago after reading Dylan and Linda Ronstadt were big fans

This album changed my whole perspective on ol blue eyes.

my first copy was this the capitol "Full spectrum" version which knocked me out.
    Then i upgraded my garage sale copy for a 70s green capitol label version which
    did not match.

anyone else prefer the "full spectrum sound" version?
    maybe it's a horrible choice but i loved it, especially while discovering this great album.

This is one of the few albums i can turn up to 11 on a Tuesday night and not worry about
    the neighbors judging me.

[​IMG]

21. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Some credit must be given to Charles Pignone as producer for almost everything released on Frank Sinatra, I am sure he pushed for this.

CBackley likes this.
  22. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

I already own the MFSL mono and Walsh and UK box set stereo’s. Given the mastering choices of the latest UMG realeases, I unfortunately do not expect this anniversary release to be a sonic marvel. I’m therefore hoping that additional session reel banter and alternatives will be included in the style of Elvis’ FTD releases.

And still hoping for the new realease of the BBB of course.

23. MLutthans

We can all debate sound quality stuff until the cows come home, but one problem with both of the LPs you mention is that Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely is a 12-song album, conceived that way and originally issued that way. Both versions you list are missing two songs. For me, that'a a major problem! 1/6th of the album is missing. (What's there is great, but there should be more of it.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    D.B., RSteven, McLover and 3 others like this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

His greatest album, one of the greatest albums ever.

25. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This is amazing news! Cannot wait!

RSteven likes this.