Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Will it hit stream at midnight?

2. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Target appears to be honoring their pre-order price so far. Of course there is sales tax, but they say its being prepped for shipping.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Which time zone? (Last week’s “Lush Life” stream went live at midnight US Eastern time.)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

That's me then.

5. Price.pittsburgh

Apple music also has as Upcoming Album the mono version.
    Anyone know if that's a separate release for a different date?

6. Price.pittsburgh

@MLutthans and @Bob F
    I've often read that the 1998 era remasters of Sinatra's Capitol catalog on cd were inferior to the 87/91 masters.
    The ones I own on cd are the 87/91 issues.
    However, on streaming it states the Only the Lonely prior to this new version, is the 98 remaster, so I'm assuming they use those for the other Capitol albums.
    So my question is this.
    For headphones used with these lossy stream services or even cd played on a basic system, would you feel there is still a significant difference in quality between the 98 era vs the 87/91?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yes. (Note: Those earlier CDs, while better -- and often markedly so -- are not uniformly splendiferous. Some are great. Some are good. Some not so hot.)

By 1998 remasters, I assume you mean the Norberg remasters. There was also the non-Norberg UK boxed set in 1998.

Cliff's Notes guide: Capitol Scorecard

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Radio, Bob F, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  8. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Note: the Apple pre-order for the mono version of the album has the track run time for One for My Baby listed as 4:23. Sooo, I guess they didn't add that three second splice back in?

9. Bob F

@Price.pittsburgh: Most of the current Capitol streams and digital downloads are the Norberg versions from the US “Entertainer of the Century” CDs of 1998–2002, including Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely. (In a very few cases, these have been replaced or supplemented by newer versions.) See here:

Official Sinatra Albums on Spotify: Major Original Capitol Albums (Sinatra Family Forum)

10. Bob F

The track time on the MoFi mono CD is 4:23, if you strip 4 seconds of silence at the end. All of the iTunes track times agree with the MoFi, if you remove trailing inter-track gaps and/or silence.

11. Price.pittsburgh

So what are the negatives of those Norberg remasters vs the 87/91 versions and do you feel it would be as evident on stream?

12. Bob F

It’s streaming right now at Amazon Japan (stereo and mono), where it just passed midnight.

Rudi, RSteven, paulmock and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bob F

Widely discussed in just about every Sinatra album thread and Matt’s Capitol Scorecard. Yes, it is evident in digital streams.

RSteven likes this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

Funny thing is I ripped all my 87/91 issues to iTunes and had them on my iPod but I iTunes matched all of them and re-synced my iPod and I'm guessing those matched versions are Norberg.
    Well, eventually have to re rip and re synch.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To my ears, some will like and some will not like it all. But granted, this is just a brief download and not the actual "stuff". Thanks for posting!

16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Scott Joplin meets Stan Kenton? Methinks those flourishes are the "Clydes" Mr. S. refers to after it breaks down. Based on this excerpt, I'm glad we have the Hartman-Trane.

DABarrios and RSteven like this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

In that late 90s I bought a few of the Norberg "Entertainer of the Century" versions (before I knew better and before I knew about this site!) -- and I think in general there was a lot of something: noise reduction, CEDAR, something. There were some instances where instruments were completely wiped... high-strings, brushwork. Gone. Souped-out. Erased. Deleted.

To be fair, it's possible that there could have been some that weren't all that bad, I don't know (review the scorecard) -- but a few of the ones I bought ranged from hack-able to butchered. I mean, there's really no reason to get them.

Which brings up the grand-daddy of all points that I've been wanting to make -- why has Sinatra, the gold-standard of American Standards, not received a catalog refresh? It's been piecemeal to say the least. A few great box sets, a select few MoFis... but no sincere effort in 20 years.

18. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Agreed. Hopefully this will be start of more respect paid to Mr. S. If it sells well there’s no reason it wouldn’t be.

kennyluc1 and RSteven like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Pretty much all of the "pre-rock" music in existence that isn't straight classical has gone down the memory hole. It's not like swing or something you can make fun and kitschy for da kids, and they keep trying to drive the stake through the heart of physical media as well, so...

Honestly, file this one under "the music industry is being run by cross-eyed nitwits," and you're about on point... Except that statement does disservice to decent cross-eyed nitwits who could probably direct the industry more profitably and ably, so I apologize to decent cross-eyed nitwits the world over.

.crystalised. likes this.
  20. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

You reported it to Amazon, and apparently Amazon called Target and said, "Are you crazy?" Anyway, still a good price--I wish I had ordered 48 hours earlier but I'll still place an order now....

21. Bob F

More likely, Target realized they were receiving an unusually high number of pre-orders and re-examined their pricing. If I was going to order from Target now, I’d wait to see if they have a better in-store deal next week.

Note that I clicked on Amazon’s “Tell us about a lower price” link a week ago. I also reported importCD’s price, which has been lower than the new Target price from day one. Amazon has gotten greedy; you can no longer depend on them for best pricing pre-release.

Simon A and paulmock like this.
  22. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

As if these outfits are not wired in to the pricing algorithms of the market. I think these "links" are just for yanking our collective chains.

RSteven likes this.
  23. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Has anyone heard it yet? I can’t stay up till midnight.

RSteven likes this.
  24. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I’m curious about this. I have the mono MOFI, but would really like to hear this in stereo.
    Does Frank exit stereo left at the end of OMFTR?

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Does anyone know what plant pressed the LPs? I’m hoping it’s not GZ.

chris8519 likes this.