Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

From good ol' amazon dot c'eh, received yesterday:
    Sinatra, Frank "Sings For Only The Lonely (60th Anniversary 2CD Deluxe - 1958 Mono Mix + 2018 Stereo Mix)"
    Estimated arrival date: October 25, 2018 - October 31, 2018

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

3. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I've only got one copy of this album in my library. It has a P date of 1998 and a 1987 copyright. Catalogue number 72434 94756 2 5. Who mastered this edition, and where do the two bonus tracks come from/what's their story?

I'm not very familiar with this album. I'll give it a spin tonight in honour of the new release.

4. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

It is now available for download from HDtracks in 48 kHz/24 bit resolution. It should have been 192 kHz/24 bit. Not enough resolution to justify it over the CD release, IMO.

Amazon says my deluxe CD set has been shipped. I'll give a listen on my Marantz tube rig tomorrow night or Saturday morning...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    James_S888 and CBackley like this.
  5. Bob F

Mastered by Bob Norberg / released May 1998.
    "Sleep Warm” was a B-side single (with "Mr. Success") in 1958; first appeared on LP in the compilation All the Way in 1961. "Where or When” from the same 1958 session was unreleased until the UK LP The Rare Sinatra in 1978.

CBackley and .crystalised. like this.
  6. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Even though some feel they don't go well with the album, I think those two bonus tracks were nice additions. The arrangement on "Sleep Warm" is gorgeous and that particular rendition of "Where or When" may have inspired Harry Connick, Jr. to cover the song for the "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack...

.crystalised. likes this.
  7. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I am awake and I am listening and I am all about this extended Angel Eyes session. Illuminating stuff.

8. .crystalised.

Thanks Bob. Why mono for "Where Or When"?

I'll have to recommend an update to the discogs page for this issue. It credits Larry Walsh for the mastering.

As I'm listening to this album, I'm struck by two things: 1) sounds like no other Sinatra album and 2) Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" contains arrangements that bear a remarkable resemblance to what is contained here. Clearly the production of the latter was attempting to recreate the mood and magic of the former. Pity the Sinatra album wasn't able to achieve the same dynamics as Joni's package, although its range is still impressive for a popular album of its time.

Also, 3) it sounds like Frank and orchestra are playing in a vacuum on this edition, as if there's a war between the content itself and the blackness behind. The dark matter is winning ...

CBackley and crooner like this.
  9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Oh, thank goodness for Spotify and streaming! Saved me $28.
    I'll stick with the original stereo mix.

10. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Crap. Does it sound compressed/loud to you? That's what I am dreading the most...

11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I've never been the biggest fan of the original stereo mix and I don't feel strongly about this new stereo mix either. It's interesting and yet inessential. The Mono mix reigns in my eyes as the definitive version of this album. I'm very happy to have decent sounding versions of this session material though.

crooner, CBackley and .crystalised. like this.
  12. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

It's going to be interesting to compare the mono disc to my MFSL gold CD...

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  13. .crystalised.

Help me understand what's so great about this song. It's never made me feel anything except contempt, no matter who's singing it. I don't find the melody appealing at all and the slurs drive me nuts...

14. .crystalised.

I've never heard the mono but now I'm curious. Might have to jump on the 2 CD edition in spite of "Angel Eyes" :shh:

Also curious to hear the bonus tracks.

crooner likes this.
  15. Bob F

Stereo was probably lost in the vaults after the 20-year release delay. There has never been a stereo issue.

Mistake in the liner notes, which were copied verbatim from the 1987 Walsh CD.

16. .crystalised.

Man, I enjoyed this album more than I ever remember, in spite of the Norberg mastering.

I still dislike 'Angel Eyes', but I've always hated 'Blues In The Night' even more, and guess what - Frank's version of 'Blues' is so different from everybody else's that I don't mind it and I actually enjoyed the arrangement a lot.

"Gone With The Wind" is my favourite track. By a country mile. A beautiful arrangement that sparkles and shines.

Also, the obbligato clarinet edit: soprano sax (the NR on my copy makes the two instruments virtually indistinguishable) near the end of 'One For My Baby' is breathtaking.

Time to transfer this CD to Frisbee duty so that I can buy the new deluxe edition.

Pants Party, CBackley and Simon A like this.
  17. .crystalised.

Agreed; I'm usually against random bonus tracks, but these two are gorgeous and fit just fine with the original album in mood and content.

crooner likes this.
  18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

The part of the melody that makes it for me is when he so carefully sings the title words..."Aaaan-gel eyes" (right before "that old devil sent"). I'm not sure what it is, but it somehow seems poised on a precipice of something. It immediately puts me in the mindset of a film noir, and the way his vocal alternates between extending some syllables and almost casually speaking the others creates a sense of drama throughout. I find it a brooding masterpiece.

19. .crystalised.

I'm almost wondering if maybe there was a level problem on the multi-tracks. The song is so damn dynamic with that huge crescendo at the end. It's clearly on the red in the mono mix; perhaps the reason for no stereo is because there's heavy distortion from the omnis?

Just speculation, of course.

RSteven and Bob F like this.
  20. .crystalised.

Me too.

crooner likes this.
  21. .crystalised.

Well said. I don't get 'film noir' from it at all, although I want to after that description.

I do get the precipice, though, and now I'm wondering if that's part of what makes me dislike it. The manner in which Frank sings it puts me on edge. My guard is up, as if I'm aware of a shadow behind me. A feeling of impending doom (is it Granada I see or only despair)?

Others might find it odd, but I wish Frank had cut this for the album instead. It would need a Riddle arrangement, of course, but I can picture it on there. Plus, the lyric fits the sad clown image on the cover:

PhantomStranger and NorthNY Mark like this.
  22. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Yeah, I can definitely see how those lyrics would suit the cover image. And back to "Angel Eyes," I wonder if what you describe as the awareness of a shadow behind you is precisely what makes me think of film noir? It's a very evocative image!

23. Bob F

Link? I don’t see it at HDtracks, although ProStudioMasters has the two digital downloads (and the deluxe combo) at 48/24, on sale for 20% off.

[Edit:] Never mind; just found it. Code HDOCT19 for 15% off:
    Sings For Only The Lonely (Deluxe) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Simon A likes this.
  24. Bob F

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

amazon dot c'eh has awoke, as I received an email notice overnight, providing me with the following:

Your estimated delivery date is:
    Tuesday, October 23