Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The Recording session of "Angel Eyes" is MAGNIFICENT. 8 Takes. Takes 3,5 and 8 are COMPLETE. 3 THREE COMPLETE alternate takes of "Angel Eyes".

Was the problem with "Lush Life" Felix Slatkin's conducting? Was Riddle the SUPERIOR Conductor? These are the questions arising from this release.

mpayan and RSteven like this.
  2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@Ronald Sarbo What is your impression of the sound of the new release? Especially the stereo? Please and Thanks.

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The set is steaming on Tidal for those interested.

4. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Pardon me, but I've got the runs...

Now you'll never hear it the same way. Kidding :D

I find that songs with a 'mysterious' sounding melody don't really appeal to my ears. Frank sings it well; maybe too well. It's makes me uncomfortable and I find it difficult to sit through. Worst of all, the song is an ear wig and gets easily stuck in my head.

I see your point - the imagery I've described does impart a sort of film noir character. I guess I'm just resisting :sigh:

NorthNY Mark and CBackley like this.
  5. Ronald Sarbo

Paul: As you know I am not an authority on sound quality but I was very pleased with what I heard. Others may have different opinions.

Larry Walsh wrote a paragraph in the notes paying tribute to the original Capitol engineers.

kennyluc1, paulmock and RSteven like this.
  6. Sim2

Sim2 Forum Resident

I’m a fan of new LP.

It’s definitely bright, Sinatra’s voice is outstanding and instruments are appropriately clear.

Some pops on side 2....anyone else getting that?

Btw: I turned up gain in treble/bass to +3.0 on my system.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Buddy Alito Frank Sinatra and His Friends
    31 mins ·
    -Been listening to it this morning. I'm a stereo buff, so I listened to the New 2018 Stereo Mix first. Noticed a pronounced clarity in the vocal. They managed to capture it with true reverb, not pseudo sounding as if an electronic gadget was used, but rather Frank's vocal as it was recorded in a real hall. I know they initially used a 3-track recorder in 1958, so one track must have been specifically used to capture the vocal and the other two split for the orchestrations.

-(Stereo)-I like the fact that they didn't aim for the standard isolated panning from left to right for the orchestrations, but rather kept it clean down the middle which created a very realistic sounding audio ambience. You feel that you are right there in the middle with the orchestrations, while Frank's vocal is seamlessly up front being caressed by the instruments. I was very impressed and could tell that a lot of care went into this remastering. With only 3 tracks recorded initially, which was the method used with the early multi-track process, the engineers went to great lengths to keep the phasing correct as recorded.

-Compare this to the previous stereo versions and you can tell that this mastering is cleaner and much more properly phased. I also listened to the Mono versions, very balanced, clean and with true hall effect on the vocal standing out up front.

-I would recommend this to those who have critical ears to hear the fruits of the mastering technicians who did a phenomenal job producing a mastering in line with the way this was actually recorded without over doing it with all the modern day audio cleaning techniques . Also to anyone else who would want to hear Frank's voice as clear and clean as he belted it out in the studio in 1958! Very good job, and I can imagine there will more albums receiving the same treatment to come!

kt66brooklyn, D.B., FJFP and 13 others like this.
  8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

To me, it sounded like Frank felt he really needed to spend time on that one. He probably realized he was just "getting through it" and not internalizing it, processing it and giving it back with the full understanding and interpretation that he likes to give something. That's my read.

But of course, him just getting through it is plenty for me.

RSteven and .crystalised. like this.
  9. Ronald Sarbo

Listening on headphones I heard Bill Miller play piano fills and ornamentation around Sinatra's singing that I have never heard before.

I'm reminded of the story Jonathan Schwartz repeated for years that Van Heusen told him Sinatra asked for the lights to be turned off when he recorded "One For My Baby". One Sunday afternoon Bill Miller was his guest on the show. JS asked about Sinatra singing with the lights out. Schwartz was speechless when Miller said he did not remember this and furthermore how could he and the other musicians read their sheet music with the lights off?

D.B., Benno123, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  10. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

I'm guessing you are right. I didn't place the order last night but went to do it this morning and saw that too. Now I think I will instead support my local record shop on this one for the vinyl. Meanwhile I am awaiting the 2-CD set but listening to it on Apple Music. The stereo mix sounds excellent on my office Bose speaker--can't wait to listen to the CD and vinyl at home on real loudspeakers. I have to say I am slightly disappointed Frank's voice doesn't exit stage right at the end of "One For My Baby", but in the grand scheme of things it's a minor quibble.

Bob F likes this.
  11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

My dac is reporting 96/24 while streaming from Tidal. Could be they only did high Rez in MQA. Sounds nice on my tube rig, but as I reported earlier, not as nice as original stereo vinyl or 96/24 needle drop of ‘83 MFSL.

paulmock likes this.
  12. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Home this week and the LP arrived this morning—-so far, disc 1 is flat, without a pop, ticks, or any other noise—only if the last few QRP albums I got from AP were THIS good. As for the sound, it’s pretty damn phenomenal in the first listen. I could pull out the other 8 or 9 copies I own and do a shoot out, but I’m simply enjoying what I’m hearing without picking it apart. There is no liner notes Included in the LP package, the cover is not a fold out but large enough to hold both discs, and the LP’s are in a color cardboard jacket with images of other Sinatra albums available from UM. I will replace those with QRP sleeves, because I’m a nut—-overall this is really a quality pressing that I’m enjoying over my morning coffee.

I’m very impressed (and that is saying a lot)...but maybe I should do a shoot out now?

D.B., RiRiIII, .crystalised. and 3 others like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No liner notes on the 2LP? There are (so I am told) with the 2CD set. That is a shame.

colormesinatra, Sim2 and teag like this.
  14. Jayson Wall

It is, yet I’m 100% ok with it because the vinyl quality is simply outstanding. I’m sure the CD version will find its way in my collection at some point.... ;)

roda12 likes this.
  15. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Disappointed to notice that it seems Qobuz are not carrying the HD download, I'm reluctant to pay the price HD tracks want. Qobuz have had missing titles from Frank with the previous HD downloads, some turning up a little later but a few not at all. Anyone have further info on this, I guess it's simply licensing rights?

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes - do the shootout! Do you have the mono and stereo MFSL to compare the new one to?

17. Jayson Wall

I have both MOFI’s, along with the Dell, an original stereo and mono, a mid 60s stereo, a 70’s yellow label and a smattering of others—I really do like the mofi’s, so its looking like I might have something to do now after lunch. ;)

Shawn, teag, .crystalised. and 5 others like this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

You are giving @MLutthans severe competition with all of those copies!!!! :p

19. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m listening right now to the 2018 stereo mix. I’m pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to hate it.

20. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Yes, the 2-CD set comes with full liner notes. The fold-out panel of the package has "notes by Sammy Cahn & James Van Heusen," which I believe are carried over from previous CD editions.

The 22-page booklet (attached to the back of the digipak cover) includes "Remembrances & Recollections" from Frank Sinatra, Nelson Riddle, Bill Miller, Al Viola, Billy May, Dave Cavanaugh, Frank Sinatra Jr, and Larry Walsh. Obviously, since most of these gents are no longer with us, I assume most of these are from previously-published interviews/books. Walsh's notes were written for this edition. Plenty of pictures, and details on session dates/times & personnel as well. Other than being a digipak (which seems insubstantial for something of this significance), it's a nice package.

21. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

If I count the new CD as two copies of the album and the new LP as another, separate copy, I will now have ten different copies/versions of this album. An album that I heard for the first time less than two years ago, but which hit me hard and fast.

22. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

I'm listening to the 2018 Stereo Mix of "What's New?" and I can't help but feel that the trombome is too up close and "bright." For me, this album symbolizes walking the rainy lonely streets of a love-deprived town, where everything has been suppressed to loneliness, and the outskirts of the singer's world are just somber elements of what once was. It seems that Sinatra up front, and the hampered trombone in the background better represents that theme. Just my opinion!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Isn't it a trombone?

Squad 701 and crooner like this.
  24. Jayson Wall

Did a very quick shoot out on One For My Baby—-

MOFI Stereo 1983 LP (Gray set) - Frank is closer in sound to the piano, and the tone is warmer. Some could say “muffled” (like my wife) but I do love the way this LP sounds overall—more period correct (if there is such a thing from MOFI) than the 2018 remix but they are close at times.

MOFI Mono mid 2000’s LP - To me, this sounds correct all around—beautiful Tone, Frank is up slightly more in the mix Compared to the MOFI stereo, but over all more sonically pleasing experience. Yes, I like the mono best, but I knew that going in....lol

DELL Stereo -1983 UK LP - The piano is more open and Frank’s vocal is a tad richer sounding at times compared to the MOFI stereo version. Yet, my pressing feels just a tad on the bright side....

UM 2018 LP - Frank is slightly more out in front of Bill Miler, and to my ears there is more depth /spacing between the two that I really enjoy. Is it better than the MOFI stereo? I would say it has more of a modern sound at times—it gives it a different listening experience—- Again, overall I’m impressed.

Overall, there isn’t a dog in the bunch (at least on this track)—UM’s 2018 stereo mix is damn good, and after this shoot out it will be my “go to” for stereo version....but the MOFI stereo is very close! The Dell In a pinch is good, but.....I might have to put this pressing into “retirement” section of the collection. Of course, you mileage may vary between the 4.

I’ll get into in more this evening...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  25. Zusac

Zusac Well-Known Member

You're right, sorry! I just mixed up the fact that the song was originally written for a trumpet.

paulmock likes this.