Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Is the mono What's New a different take than the stereo?

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I keep hearing "more modern" sound. Why would it need to be modernized? Raising his vocals above an beyond what the were on the originals IMHO ruins the entire effect of the recordings. We've been down this road way too many times. Just my honest opinion speaking out....

roda12, MLutthans, jtsjc1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

It's not that it needed to be modernized, it's more about the fact that by eliminating the veil of antiquity, we're perhaps hearing for the first time what Nelson Riddle heard in the studio, rather than an approximation of it in wax all these years later. It reminds me of the remixed Kind of Blue that Classic Records did for their 4 LP single-sided release. Go back to the original three-tracks and reveal the goodness, long hidden.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

I agree.

"Modern Sound" seems to equate to brighter, more revealing sound. Somewhat or totally digital. But hearing live music in a good venue usually does not sound like that. The live music is more lush. My opinion.

hodgo and paulmock like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

CD or vinyl?

btltez, RSteven and CBackley like this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

In this recording above all others, Mr. S is a PART OF THE ORCHESTRA and should sound as such. He should not be isolated from and risen above it. IMHO.

MichaelM, Tom Perry, roda12 and 4 others like this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Right now = streaming. The CD and vinyl are waiting for me at home.

RSteven and teag like this.
  8. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Listening to the stereo cd now. First impression is very positive. It's beautifully crystal clear. As others have mentioned, vocals may be a touch loud for this record. Overall it's a version I'll return to.

I'm expecting the vinyl Sunday as Amazon delivered the wrong one today. Ugh.

RSteven and crooner like this.
  9. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Amazon just delivered the Deluxe CD at my door. Interestingly they feature the mono mix as disc 1, I was expecting it the other way around.

I am tempted to listen to it right now, but I'll wait until I can evaluate it critically either tonight or most likely tomorrow morning...

[​IMG]

10. MarshallMan

MarshallMan Forum Resident

Yes. :cry:

11. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I see on the spine they are calling it "Frank Sinatra - Only The Lonely", All the other releases (and the original LP) say "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only The Lonely"...

bluesbro and MLutthans like this.
  12. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Your wife says the MOFI stereo is muffled or is she muffled during this shoot out? I totally read that as the latter... :shh:

Pants Party and George P like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I thought we were supposed to be against noise reduction.

14. .crystalised.

The identity of an instrument depends on the mastering, as evidenced by my comment last night about the 'clarinet' passages at the end of "One For My Baby" :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  15. I don't hear anything "modern" about it at all. The vox doesn't seem raised above my previous go-to mix on the '98 box. I will say this, though; I've never heard the mono sound so lush and so endearing. It's extremely touching. If by "more modern" it means that more focus, depth and clarity is there, then yes, all of that, in spades! A good illustration of this is that now, more than ever, Frank sounds slightly right of center...so the illusion is there, which is his placement in the stereo mix, as well.

As for the stereo, eh...it's cool. I don't care if a recording is stereo or mono; it's whatever sounds the best to me. Well, I'll listen to the stereo a few times. I just don't think it bests the mono from this set.

By the way, my version is the HDTracks download.

RSteven and .crystalised. like this.
  16. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

My copy (received today) says “made in Netherlands” on the cover and also on the labels. Apart from some handwritten numbers in the matrix there is also a stamped number which makes me believe that the LPs are pressed by Record Industries in the Netherlands. And there is RM (for Ron McMaster) on all four sides in the matrix. My copy was clean and plays without (or only minimal) surface noise.

Tommyboy, MLutthans and .crystalised. like this.
  17. .crystalised.

From what I've read about the new mono mastering thus far, it's been described as bright, loud and congested. That doesn't inspire much confidence. If I jump on the deluxe CD edition, it would be specifically for the mono mix and the outtakes. Looking forward to more reviews of the mono sound before I decide to buy.

paulmock likes this.
  18. .crystalised.

Okay, this helps. I've never heard the mono mix, period. Now I'm intrigued...

19. .crystalised.

Although these tracks are technically "live" recordings, we must remember that this is not live music, per se. Keeping that in mind, I'm OK with studio recordings lacking the warmth of a live venue, so long as they're emotionally involving, revealing and interesting.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

I compared the title track from the new mono to the MFSL Gold and I like the latter a lot more. As stated previously by another member, the MFSL is warmer than the new one. Much more laid back and musical to my ears.

hodgo, paulmock and .crystalised. like this.
  21. .crystalised.

Thanks. Are copies of the MFSL Gold easy to find? Assuming not, but it might be what I'd prefer to hear for this album. Worried about the insert on "One For My Baby" though.

Probably easier to find an original mono pressing...

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I totally and respectfully disagree. This IS "live" music. Man and orchestra recording TOGETHER with no futz or gimmicks. It is (albeit at times with inner cuts and snippets) totally a "live" performance.

That cannot be said for anything recorded today.

marmil and .crystalised. like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

A couple of copies can be had used on amazon: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Sings for...Only the Lonely

.crystalised. likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

I think you quoted the wrong person.

25. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Except of course....Triplicate.

Tribute likes this.