Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Anyone know what he means by "mid-side decoded?"

RSteven likes this.
  2. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

UMe is just cheap, by making the decision to place the LPs in useless cardboard sleeves, instead of using the protective inner sleeves that they’ve been using for the Sinatra reissues. I’d love to meet some of those tools who make the marketing/product decisions.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well to be honest, I kinda liked those. Of course I placed the records in anti static sleeves anyway.

.crystalised. and CBackley like this.
  5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

The spine of my original mono LP (an LA-pressed D9/D9--or something like that--with "LONG PLAYING HIGH-FIDELITY" Frank Sinatra - Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely ) has got "FRANK SINATRA ONLY THE LONELY" without "SINGS FOR". For that matter, I was hoping the new CDs (or at least the mono disc) would also have "LONG PLAYING HIGH-FIDELITY", but they've got the spires instead...I'm guessing the 2xLP does as well?

6. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

crooner, Jelloza and RSteven like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

You're welcome, Rob.

My point was to show that the new one is compressed. I have no desire to spend my hard earned (in case my boss is reading this) money on a compressed mastering, especially if a non-compressed option is available (the Mofi Gold.)

EVOLVIST, Brian Mc and Rob Hughes like this.
  8. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

So perhaps this explains why some original stereo pressings had phase issues because the Mid-Side signal was not properly decoded? Whatever it was, later stereo pressing had no phase problems at all.

Now, was Walsh aware of the Mid-Side technique originally used on the three track masters back in 1987? Or was this a recent "discovery "?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    mikrt17 and RSteven like this.
  9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Of course, of course. These things means different things to different people. I may yet come around to the Mofi. It wouldn't surprise me. Indeed I was seriously considering the purchase earlier this year. But... if I do get the Mofi, it may well be because the 2018 release has given me such a heightened appreciation for the album that I come to think the Mofi will be worth the upgrade. When I was considering the Mofi more seriously, last winter, before the 60th Anniv announcement, I thought discogs wasn't really offering an attractive price for the album, given my interest in the title. But I'm really enjoying Only the Lonely these past few days. Anyway, I blame Norberg. If I had liked the 1998 EOTC versions better, I might have gone for the Mofi already (and possibly passed on the 2018 issue). Complicated things! RH

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, but they tend to scuff the records, leaving some hairlines that cause ticking.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Agreed. Luckily mine were blemish free.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Nice!

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My fever finally lessened because my truck does better underwater when I change helmets on my toaster strudel.

Toaster Strudel - Wikipedia

kennyluc1, Runicen, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I absolutely endorse this -- irrespective of my complete lack of comprehension. :righton:

15. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

But the MFSL is currently out of print and quite expensive to buy today...

16. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I rather like the packaging of this set. I detest digipaks. The teeth break off the spindle and you’re screwed. I just put protectors in the sleeves.

marmil and RSteven like this.
  17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Honestly -- I sort-of assumed that this was a quote from a Zappa song.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Used copies can be found for around $35 I bought one earlier this week on Amazon for that price. I think they were two other copies available at that price.

CBackley and crooner like this.
  19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Yeah -- but my discs arrived somewhat compromised. They seem to have played fine -- so now I have the choice of exchanging, or living with this knowledge lodged in my subconscious, possibly leading to sporadic involuntary twitching and whatnot. :wtf:

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Initial order: crushed case, reordered and to be returned.
    Once again... thanks amazon dot c'eh... just thanks.

Pants Party likes this.
  21. MLutthans

I was able to download my own transfer of the old UK "Dell" stereo-mix LP to check, and that timing hiccup (more of a timing hesitation) is there, so there's nothing new (flaw-wise) in this new stereo mix. It's in the mono mix, too, so it's not a tape edit. Must be just a subtle timing slip by the bass player. It never caught my ear before last night.

22. MLutthans

Fine, but there's no Amoeba Music anywhere in Kansas. I've looked! I did stop at CD Tradepost yesterday and bought an Ella Fitzgerald CD, though.

Back to Sinatra: Hearing this session on the new CD:
    [​IMG]
    is really cool, and I'll say again that Sinatra was a masterful "self-editor" in-session. It sounds like hyperbole, but he was an artist who had a clear vision of what he wanted, what was needed, what suited the song, etc., and he was great at winnowing things down to their primary essence. It happens over and over in these session recordings that have leaked over the years. Even just the eventual rewording of "comfortably" to the somewhat-odd -- but better fitting, musically --"comfturbly" is a change that absolutely works. :righton: I'm guessing Frank went home with an acetate from that session and thought, "What still needs to be improved," and at the later session for the song, it became perfect.

hodgo, DaBee, .crystalised. and 13 others like this.
  23. I absolutely love the vinyl, it is bold, clear and the soundstage is wide and enveloping, no shrinking violet, this...….(I do use a KLAudio RCM).

CBackley and crooner like this.
  24. MLutthans

@AxeD sent along some clips from his 2018 LP that I have aligned with my 1983 MFSL LP. (Legal housekeeping note: I am going out of my way to only use clips that fall within the 90-second clips that appear on iTunes. No "free music giveaways" here beyond the passages you can already sample online.) Thanks to AxeD for sending clips for us to hear!

It's a Lonesome Old Town, MFSL first, 2018 LP second: Box
    Willow, Weep for Me, 2018 LP first, MFSL second: Box

Note that each individual segment is LEVEL-MATCHED, so you can focus on the mix and the balances, and not be swayed by "louder is better." In real life, the 2018 LP segments are typically about 1.5 to 4-dB louder (less dynamic) than the original stereo mix.

It may aide your listening to try to envision this layout as the notes go moving by, especially on the Willow clips:
    [​IMG]
    Brass and rhythm and harp off to the right, woodwinds nearer to the center area (but pretty widely spread out), and strings off to the left.

Listen like the wind!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Canter’s Deli for me, over on Fairfax. But I’ll make a note to visit Greenblatt’s!

Electric Sydney and RSteven like this.