Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I guess they hung your link out to dry.

McLover and aoxomoxoa like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I wonder if they'll include one track that really was from these actual sessions, but never got included as a CD bonus track: Monique.

DLant likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Seriously, I’ve never understood why those Ultimate Sinatra bonus tracks are unavailable in the US, but they are downloadable in the UK and Europe (and supplied in physical form in the Japan version of the product). What possible rationale can there be for geographic restrictions on previously unreleased Capitol session material?

At any rate, it looks like these may be freely available for streaming (somewhere), but they are greyed out in the track listing for:

Ultimate Sinatra: The Centennial Collection by Frank Sinatra on Spotify

The message I get here when clicking the following track links is “Song Unavailable.” I’m just wondering if the same is true in other countries. Anyone?

Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry - Alternate Take, a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify
    What Is This Thing Called Love? - Alternate Take, a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify
    That's Life - Alternate Orchestral Version, a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify

bozburn, CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  4. CBackley

It makes no sense. At least sell them on iTunes for US customers. It’s been 3 years since that set came out. I’d gladly pay for all of those bonus tracks.

DmitriKaramazov and bozburn like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OH! I hope not!!!!

zoltantamas and roda12 like this.
  6. MLutthans

7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

They could also add concert versions of some of the songs......including "Monique" from "Monte Carlo".

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MLutthans It does not fit in with the album in any way, shape or form other than historically being from the same session. Like a weird "extra bonus track" from the early CD's. IMHO.

mikrt17, MLutthans and roda12 like this.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Differences in Public Domain laws or something similar?

Just guessing.

Mark

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Not in this case. Capitol/UMe owns the copyright.

Note that one of the four tracks on that “bonus EP” appears also on the one-disc cutdown available worldwide (and can be streamed just fine in the US):

Just In Time - Alternate Version, a song by Frank Sinatra on Spotify

DmitriKaramazov and Mark Wilson like this.
  11. CBackley

How about a separate disc for extra songs? One disc for stereo mix. One disc for mono disc. And then one disc for the extras.

If only...

zoltantamas and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. MLutthans

Has UMe done any "Deluxe Editions" of any individual albums by any of their Capitol stars of this era, i.e, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin?

CBackley likes this.
  13. MLutthans

If you're looking for bonus material that is literally "from the sessions" for this album, you're limited to outtakes/alternates and "Monique." Mixing/recording variations aside, I can't imagine that it's more than two CDs (2 hours 40 minutes) of actual material on any interest, unless they go outside the scope of the sessions, in which case all bets are off. (In-concert material? DVD?)

If there's a stereo remix, any bets on whether they re-create the easily-re-creatable tape-on-tape piano overdub on the title track, or the vocal "exit" (in which Frank's vocal actually moves to the left and out of the picture) on the closing track? The two remixes thus far have ignored both of those.

14. CBackley

There was a recent expanded edition of NKC’s album A Mis Amigos, but I think it was only a digital release.

A Mis Amigos (Expanded Edition) by Nat "King" Cole A Mis Amigos (Expanded Edition) by Nat "King" Cole

15. MLutthans

If that's the type of thing that the hype is about here.....um......that's not much on which to hang the "Deluxe Edition" moniker.

MaestroDavros and CBackley like this.
  16. CBackley

At least this could set the bar extremely low. A few fairly pointless extras? Released on iTunes to little or no fanfare? Sign right up!

17. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

The expanded edition of " Strangers In The Night " has, 2 live tracks, and, 1 alternate take. I hope there is more of session
    material, all unreleased session's (May 5,) unreleased session could include Lush Life (all takes) it could be a great deluxe package
    and a really good writer for new liner notes and photo's for the booklet.

CBackley likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That was from Concord...not UMe. Totally different world. Not necessarily worse, either.

19. kennyluc1

It doesn't mean squat what the record label is ...Pignone will be the producer and will have a large say into what will be in the package.

Bob F likes this.
  20. kennyluc1

I hope they choose Everythang.

FJFP and CBackley like this.
  21. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

UMe, with a few recent exceptions (The Beach Boys, Louis Armstrong, etc.), have never really been that open with their vaults, despite the clear potential for unreleased content. Their idea of a "Deluxe Edition" or "Super Deluxe Edition" has generally been to put together a lavish box with lots of stuff within, but when it comes down to the actual audio content (you know, the stuff that actually matters) it's lackluster: the album remastered, a few bonus tracks that have already come out many times in the past, sometimes an unreleased concert or two) but nothing really substantial.

What is annoying is that it's not really a corporate problem, but rather a problem with the producers. With the exceptions I noted you have people involved who genuinely want to get unreleased stuff out to the fans, and most importantly know what the fans want (or need ;) ) and are able to deliver. For example here's the tracklist for the (digital only) expanded edition of Louis Armstrong's 1966 album for Mercury, "Louis", the reissue of which was produced by Ricky Riccardi & Harry Weinger:

"Disc 1":
    1. Mame (Single Version)
    2. The Circle of Your Arms
    3. So Long Dearie
    4. Tin Roof Blues
    5. I Like This Kind of Party
    6. When the Saints Go Marching In
    7. Cheesecake
    8. Tyree's Blues
    9. Pretty Little Missy
    10. Faith
    11. Short But Sweet
    12. Bye 'N Bye
    13. Bye 'N Bye (Mono)
    14. Faith (Mono)
    15. So Long Dearie (Rehearsal Take)
    16. So Long Dearie (Take 1)
    17. So Long Dearie (Take 2)
    18. So Long Dearie (Take 3)
    19. So Long Dearie (Take 4)
    20. So Long Dearie (Take 5)
    21. So Long Dearie (Take 6)
    22. Pretty Little Missy (Rehearsal Take)
    23. Pretty Little Missy (Take 1)
    24. Pretty Little Missy (Take 2)
    25. Pretty Little Missy (Take 3)
    26. Pretty Little Missy (Take 4)
    "Disc 2":
    1. Faith (Incomplete Take)
    2. Faith (Take 1)
    3. Faith (Take 2)
    4. Faith (Take 3)
    5. Faith (Take 4)
    6. Faith (Take 5)
    7. Faith (Take 6)
    8. Faith (Take 8)
    9. Short But Sweet (Take 2)
    10. Short But Sweet (Take 3 & 4)
    11. Short But Sweet (Take 5)
    12. Short But Sweet (Take 6)
    13. Short But Sweet (Rehearsal)
    14. The Circle of Your Arms (Take 1 / False Start)
    15. The Circle of Your Arms (Take 2)
    16. The Circle of Your Arms (Take 3)
    17. The Circle of Your Arms (Take 4 / Breakdown)
    18. The Circle of Your Arms (Take 5)
    19. The Circle of Your Arms (Insert 1 / Take 1)
    20. I Like This Kind of Party (Take 1)
    21. I Like This Kind of Party (Take 2)
    22. I Like This Kind of Party (Take 3)
    23. I Like This Kind of Party (Take 9)
    24. I Like This Kind of Party (Insert 1 / Take 1)
    25. The Three of Us (Take 1 / False Start)
    26. The Three of Us (Take 2)
    27. The Three of Us (Take 3)
    Now THAT'S how you do an archival reissue of this nature! Is it 100% perfect? Probably not. I'd personally add the mono mix and maybe a couple choice masters remixed (the outtakes sound a lot better than the album, largely because of the mix) but generally this is a fantastic approach. My point is if a relatively obscure Louis Armstrong album that isn't even on Wikipedia gets this kind of treatment, then "Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely" certainly does.

The setback is that Sinatra's Capitol catalog has been horribly mismanaged for coming on 3 decades now, and UMe just don't seem to either have enough people or have the right kind of people on staff to make it happen. Add in the complete ambivalence by the Sinatra family* to the very idea of studio outtakes and things aren't very bright right now. :cry:

I hope we get a "Louis" styled Expanded/Deluxe Edition and not a, for instance, "Hotel California" one.

*Yes I'm aware that the rights to to Sinatra's Capitol output belong to Universal, but unless I'm mistaken the past has shown that the family tend to be involved with their reissues.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well I love both but as there are different levels of infinity there are different levels of perfection. Wee Small Hours is one Perfection level below Only The Lonely.

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

A deluxe of this very fine album with both mono and stereo along with a high resolution version ( download, blu-ray etc) would be a great way to celebrate the 60th. Just my thoughts but this album and We Small Hours seem to have got lots of mentions in rock/pop press related stuff over the years which is partly how I came to know them. They really are heavy weight records in the world of recorded music. I am very fortunate as I have the MFSL cd of this album along with the black box Capitol albums set. A deluxe with other archival material and stereo and mono would be a great release.

RSteven and MLutthans like this.
  24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

If they add anything previously unreleased like "Guess I'll hang my tears out" (Ultimate Sinatra) I'll be a happy man.

CBackley likes this.
  25. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

The Sinatra family is usually very reluctant to release session material. You can count on less than 2 hands the alternates that have been "officially" released. It would be nice but I'm not counting on it.

MaestroDavros and CBackley like this.