Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

First copy - are you planning on more?

aza14782, aoxomoxoa and JediJoker like this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh no, I just meant that I never had that MFSL version before as I could not find it available to purchase when I searched for it. It's a lovely looking package and I love the soft sleeve for the disc and the gold disc itself. It's a pleasant sounding remaster as well, but I just don't think it can compete with the new mono or stereo remix on the new deluxe version.

marmil and JediJoker like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I found one yesterday for $1.99. NM

The lettering on the top side/label has plain black font. Plain silver background. I’m not sure if it’s the “best” copy, but it sounds just fine to me.

mpayan likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

It should be remembered that the MoFi Gold CD packaging was a huge disappointment at the time of release in 2008. Capitol/EMI insisted that the liner notes, label, and outer sleeve artwork/printing duplicate earlier Capitol CD issues. (They even duplicated an error in the recording date of “It’s a Lonesome Old Town.”) The usual MFSL limited edition numbering was disallowed.

If you examine the fine print, you will see “℗ 1998 © 1987” on the back cover, and “℗ 1998 © 2002” on the label, neither of which set of dates is correct. It was made to appear as if manufactured by Capitol Records: If not for the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING banner and a small sticker on the outer shrink wrap, you would not know you were buying a MoFi CD. “Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab” was not printed anywhere, except on the inside stock cardboard folder.

The package (not the sound quality) was a source of many complaints. It was rumored that the legal demands were the reason MFSL abandoned further Sinatra remasters for many years.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It's so funny that you brought this up as I almost PM you Bob as those conflicting dates on the cover and label confused the hell out of me. I also was slightly disappointed in the sound quality, at least compared to the new deluxe version, and I thought with those strange copyright dates and lack of a MoFi label, I might have gotten a bootleg or something. I noticed the gold disc though and figured that it was probably the real deal. Thanks, @Bob F for clarifying these issues as it was a total head scratcher.

paulmock and Bob F like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The 1980s CD and the vinyl copies that I own, mention Voyle Gilmore as producer. I don’t see his name on the deluxe CD or the 2 LP set. I could have missed it, but if not, why has his name been omitted?

7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Voyle didn't produce this album; Dave Cavanaugh did.

8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

This is my remix of "Angel Eyes". As I used the new stereo version and the mono mixed with the channel on the left side, it stayed like this. It is far from perfect and how I wanted the final result to be, but I think it's worth it. Soon I will try to do a new remix but with the original stereo version. The biggest problem was the synchronization of the mono with the stereo, since the first one is faster than the second in its execution.

9. Bob F

The Siriusly Sinatra channel on Sirius/XM satellite radio is currently airing a special for the album’s 60th anniversary, hosted by producer Charles Pignone. Upon happening upon this yesterday, I was surprised to hear the opening begin with some session material which is NOT contained in the new deluxe edition. The intro to the title tune began with Sinatra talking to conductor Felix Slatkin:

Frank: “The whole orchestra should be fairly light from the beginning of the vocal—the top, you know, the entrance of the vocal. Felix, from about bar eleven on, let’s keep the orchestra fairly light, until we get to the beginning of the crescendo…”

This extra 25-second bonus studio clip appeared at the start of “Only the Lonely” in the excellent 3-CD set, The Capitol Years, issued for Sinatra’s 75th birthday in 1990. I believe it is unique to that box set.

(I presume the Sirius/XM promo special will be repeated, but I cannot find a broadcast schedule online.)

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I thought about that "chatter" when 1st playing the new release. I guess it was proper excluding it unless the whole track was reprised later in the package.

Bob F likes this.
  11. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The radio special can be heard on the internet on PRX: Public Radio Exchange.

Simon A, RSteven and Bob F like this.
  12. Bob F

Thanks, Ron.

Link: Frank Sinatra - Only The Lonely 60th Special by Michael Krumper on PRX

Sim2, Pants Party, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  13. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Who does he think he is? Some kinda singer telling Felix how to do his job :)

Is there any other chatter on that Capitol Years set, Bob?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    RSteven likes this.
  14. Bob F

Yes, four tracks:

“Close to You”
    “I Got Plenty o’ Nuttin’”
    “Only the Lonely”
    “Come Dance with Me”

15. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I've always wanted to find a way to stitch the chatter from the intros to Close to You, Only the Lonely and Come Dance with Me onto my MP3 (320kbps btw, y'all) versions of these songs. Nice little prelude before the album begins. Oh well. Maybe some day.

16. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Definitely off-topic, but simply convert everything to .wav files, copy/paste the relevant chatter onto the start of the songs in an editor such as Audacity, and save. Better yet, make sure everything is lossless to begin with.

OR, just use The Capitol Years versions :cool:.

17. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Interesting; this is one of my favourite tracks from the Capitol years. I'll have to find a way to listen to the chatter.

18. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

HE knows HE is Frank Sinatra you *****!

19. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

20. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Daft question possibly, and apologies if this has already been answered, the double LP spreads the whole album over two discs - so is it 45rpm? I'm hoping the album will arrive today :)

21. Bob F

33⅓ RPM

JediJoker likes this.
  22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

There's a missed opportunity - when I first saw it was two LPs I though they might put the mono mix on one disc and the the stereo on the second, but I guess it's a long album at almost 60 minutes - still, 15 minute sides at 45rpm would have easily been achievable and we would have had the benefit of superior sonics at 45rpm..

CBackley likes this.
  23. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Those are still, somehow, after almost 30 years, the best sounding versions of pretty much every song on that set. So glad I got it on vinyl.

When I moved to New York earlier this year, I could only take a select amount of my record collection. And the vinyl iteration of that set sure made the cut.

Simon A and Tommyboy like this.
  24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

That's debatable.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Bob F

That may be a stretch, but the 2-CD deluxe set price is dropping. Down to $20 today at Amazon.

[​IMG]