Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! Any thoughts as to why, @Bob F ? That's pretty substantial.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm not Bob, but my guess is that it isn't selling as well as they anticipated.

It was also probably released too early for people to initially purchase as Christmas presents.

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Probably because sales have dropped since release day. (It started out at #1 on Amazon Best Sellers in Jazz; now, two weeks later, it’s down to #5.) And/or price matching. (It was $21 at ImportCDs from the start.)

JediJoker, RSteven and paulmock like this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I wonder how those $400 prints of the cover art are selling....:sigh::ignore:

CBackley and Francisx like this.
  5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I got the deluxe CD on day of release for £15 at HMV, cheaper in Britain than in the US? Madness! :confused:

6. mahanusafa02

You have this fine LP and you want to patch their intros onto some mp3s? I’m baffled as to why...

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, but you’d have to change the sides more often at 45rpm...

o_O

8. Amazon has virtually no retail competition left in the United States for CD sales. They stopped aggressively discounting CD prices here over 3 years ago.

Mr Bass, Sim2, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

True. Some of the other significant on-line dealers (like importcds), though they may sell independently, must also sell through amazon marketplace to survive.

RSteven and JediJoker like this.
  10. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

For Only The Lonely, Triplicate, No One Cares, Shadows in the Night, Where are You?, Fallen Angels, and Close to You on shuffle. No better way to drink alone.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd rather drink alone with a friend that can pour me another. But I do like those mournful love songs for accompaniment.

12. mahanusafa02

So about half of those are Sinatra albums, who are the rest by?

13. mahanusafa02

Got it, looked ‘em up. Thanks!

14. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Posting pics here is a real PITA!

15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Sir, I like your style.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  16. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I have multiple iterations of these albums. I wish I could ad thirty seconds of session chatter onto the mono version which is still the best mix.

17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

There was a large wave of initial-buyers, a drop off and then the artafishal intelligense bot kicked in to fish for the critical mass of cheap-guys.

Tommyboy and RSteven like this.
  18. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I have a play list on my phone that alternates between Sinatra tracks and the same song by Bob Dylan. My wife is outraged at the concept of comparing Sinatra to Dylan. I, however, think that both singers are brilliant artists...and each brings a unique take to the material. There is room in the world for both.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Back on topic: I wonder if Matt has compared the new Sinatra vinyl release to previous issues yet? That comparison will be interesting to see.

20. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

really, seems like nobody else has anything much else to say about the new release...?

smitquest

marcb likes this.
  21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I did a review of this release on my Facebook.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

AJH, RSteven, paulmock and 2 others like this.
  23. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

13 UK pounds (17 US dollars) plus delivery from Amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers.........

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Agreed! The most UN user - friendly I have ever found! You would think by now they'd come up to the 21st century with this issue.

25. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I don't understand what Larry Walsh was saying, but the vocal on the 2018 stereo remix sounds just the way it did on the MFSL mono release. I think it is the mono vocal, but even if it isn't, it's still too loud and cold for my taste. I prefer the '87 Walsh because it gets the mood right. The vocal sounded more recessed and lonely, if I may put it that way. This really reminds me of the situation with the Maria Callas recordings of the same era. They have been through 2 or 3 cycles of remastering since the original Keith Hardwick transfers of the early 1980s, and with each new set of transfers the orchestral elements sound clearer and more distinct, while the voice sounds edgier and less natural. This is not a sensible tradeoff. Frank was known as "The Voice," not "The Guy Singing with Nelson Riddle." But, to each its own, l suppose.

azideam, MichaelM and MarkusGermany like this.