Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely - Deluxe Edition - October 19, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Jun 4, 2018.

1. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

As someone who adores this album, I will add my two cents. I can no longer stomach the 'mixed for a new generation' or 'at least it keeps the artist in the public eye' bull. I can't stand the new mix. The vocal sounds incredibly unnatural. Pinched, no dynamics to the voice, and mixed too far forward. The orchestra sounds decent but it really doesn't matter. I also detect a faint hint of no noise every now and then, though I cannot say that 100 percent for sure. Then the reverb used on the vocal... It's like a hint of the old with an attempt at being more modern. The traditional chamber echo is mixed totally mono center. Then there is some weird late 80s early 90s type echo with it, reminds me of those Columbia albums from that Era, a la Tony Bennett or Manhattan Transfer, though not nearly to that degree. It sounds totally out of place. In the end we get slammed with sound instead of enjoying the subtle nature of this album. I played an a/b of the 2018 to a good vinyl rip of the original, volume matched for a friend of mine . Didn't say a word about either and she knew nothing of the new remix, although she had heard the album before. Just asked her which sounded better. Immediately she chose the 58 original. I asked why and she pointed out the same things I don't like about the new mix. That's my take. Maybe for the 75th we can finally get the original stereo, even if it has to come from a safety. I'm not Walsh bashing either. I would bet left to his own devices, a much different product would have emerged.

Tribute, Shawn, Brian Mc and 5 others like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont do FB. Can you post the review here?

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I like and enjoy the new remix, but in general, remixes of vintage material will always be problematic. So I understand. Just the fact that they exist lops off 50% of the audience or something. But it's what I often call (rightly or wrongly) a "Pro-Tools" effect that also emerges. Perhaps due to the loss of tape saturation and a blending and aging of the recorded waves into the organic matter -- and then whatever new sonic qualities are inherited by the boxes and wires and DAWs -- a sightly artificial and sterile quality often emerges. If any additional work is done in this new sterile sphere, like adding reverb etc., then that can really change things.

When the remix of Angel Eyes surfaced, I was not surprised that I detected those qualities. But overall, it was quite interesting and I went with the HD Download to get the most out of the opportunity to hear and enjoy the full clarity of this material -- and I have been justly rewarded. I think the mix is a nice balance between the stereo and what the mono achieved. And on that spectrum, I feel like it is conceptually closer to the mono. It doesn't have to replace anything of course, and my opinion could change over time, but I was able to really enjoy what it offered.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Well, I have held off on this release fearing this was the case. Thanks.

5. samhill

samhill Well-Known Member

If someone is familiar with this massive 49 page thread, can they give me the boards general opinion on this 60th anniversary stereo release? Cut from original tape? I have an old copy, but it's beat to hell, and i'm trying to decide if I should just purchase this new release for under $30, OR bite the bullet and shell out close to $100 for the mofi version of discogs? I can spend the extra 70, but don't really want to if this new reissue is excellent. Thanks.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Two words....GO MOFI!

7. AJH

AJH Senior Member

To me, all that digital manipulation, especially bringing certain instruments to the front, and making Frank’s voice much harsher sounding, not only destroys the original mood of the album, but it seems to wreck the beautiful soundstage and imaging that was present on the 1987 stereo release. This new remake just isn’t something I can tolerate.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  8. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Stereo: new remix from the three tracks. Some like it, some hate it. Orchestra sounds nice. Vocal not so much. Hit with processing and mixed too loud, too far forward. Reverb also different. I prefer the original. Second would be the 87 Walsh cd.

Mono: seems slightly more compressed than the MOFI. No one seems to hate it though.

Bonus tracks: pretty cool

bgiliberti, .crystalised. and samhill like this.
  9. samhill

samhill Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies! :cheers:

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes! "Angel Eyes" session itself is worth the price of admission.

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I still like the new stereo remix. My ears suck.

Jimijam, Pants Party and RSteven like this.
  12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hey! If you like it that's great. ENJOY! :righton:

RSteven, adriatikfan and CBackley like this.
  13. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I'm with you ALL THE WAY, if you know what I mean. I think the new stereo version is fantastic, so clearly there is a divide among the faithful on the sonics of this release. Gosh, what a surprise!

CBackley likes this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I think it is great that each of us hear things differently. I cannot argue one bit if someone hears the exact same piece of music entirely differently than I do. That is what makes art so wonderful.

So, I blew a gasket when on the the new mix I first heard the trombone solo on "It's a Lonesome Old Town" dialed up so loud I damn near jumped outta my seat! That's just me...

CBackley, RSteven and SBC like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But, I could be suckered into buying all of the Capitol albums again on CD if they were done in the deluxe gatefold 7 inch cover style that the Elvis Presley FTD series did. Preferably with the truly best available sound. For a class artist like FS, why not have a class product? This reissue CD pakage looks like a radio promo item.

16. Lwalsh

Lwalsh Forum Resident

My fellow Hoffman forum members,

It is not my policy to join in on the discussions here as I rarely have anything of substance to contribute. In this instance I feel compelled too. Mr. Lutthans is incorrect in his assessment on how the final mix went in regards to Only The Lonely 60th Edition. The original 3 track recording was used. No additional syncing was attempted, And why would I ? On this tape was a stereo pair of the orchestra, and Frank Sinatra isolated on his own track, with Orch bleed. The stereo pair was Mid-Side decoded sent through the orig. chambers, which still survive, at Capital studios. The vocal was sent through a different chamber and remained mono. Vocal balance is an organic thing and will differ from each pass made as that’s how I mix. Mr. Lutthans is entitled to his opinion but he is not entitled to disseminate false information, so for him to state ‘he knows for a fact’ and then states something that is not true is irresponsible and that is why I chose to respond. I serve at the pleasure of the Sinatra estate and consider it an honor to do so. I also appreciate the comments I find here as your input does gauge how I am doing. As I have said in the past and to quote “your riding high in April, shot down in May” is appropriate to use here. I’m in awe of the performance and the technical skills demonstrated on this seminal work. The original musicians and technicians deserve ALL the credit on this musical masterpiece. ENJOY it and enjoy the Sinatra cannon as millions of others do in this world. My best to you and yours!

Larry Walsh

17. Mr. Walsh, let me thank you for all the hours of Sinatra listening I've done over the years to your good work on CD.

It's always enlightening when we hear more information directly from the source on how an album was mastered for any particular release.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Jimijam, CBackley, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just want to echo everything @PhantomStranger just said and express my thanks to both Mr. Walsh and Ron McMaster for doing what I think was a fantastic stereo remix and remaster of this truly iconic album from Mr. Sinatra. I also highly respect @MLutthans for his expertise, but sometimes we all get a little lost in the details and we cannot seem to see the trees from the forest. I am not an engineer and never was one, but I think I have some pretty great ears. Nothing in this discussion before or since really affects what my ears have told me, but I do find that a great many members of this fine board are thoroughly impressed with this Deluxe remaster of Sinatra's magnum opus. Obviously there are some Sinatra experts that like their old versions and they can surely cling to those babies as there is nothing wrong with that either, but I think that Mr. Walsh and Mr. McMaster should be commended for the fine effort and work that went into this amazing release. I personally would like to see more efforts like the one that was done for the 60th anniversary of Only The Lonely and not less.

19. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Mr. Walsh, Thank you for your thorough reply to this thread. I have yet to personally hear the new mix, But I certainly appreciate the care and thoughtfulness that goes into an "updated" mix of an old classic. Our host did stunning work along the same lines with a few of the Nat King Cole records from the same era. Since this record is a favorite of mine, I will pick up the new version and let my ears be the judge.

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@Lwalsh --

Thank you for posting here. I have deleted my post, as it contained errant information, apparently, and I never want to peddle in those wares. My sincere apologies. For weeks, I have been resisting posting here about the set, but have been getting requests for my input on a routine basis. I truly wish I had followed my better angels and just continued to say nothing. I think that will be my future stance.

Thanks, with apologies,
    Matt Lutthans

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

We all hear things differently and sometimes jump to incorrect conclusions. My thanks to both @Lwalsh, for his work on this reissue, and @MLutthans, for his dedication to the Sinatra discussions here at SHF.

scobb, Jimijam, stevelucille and 16 others like this.
  22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Major thanks to you, @Lwalsh ! I bought this new Only the Lonely edition on both vinyl and deluxe CD, and I’ve been listening to them a ton since release day. My wife is not a huge Sinatra fan, but she stopped the other day while I was listening to the new stereo mix and said “what album is this? It’s fantastic!” When I told her what it was, she replied “well now I understand why you have like ten copies of this album.” That was a major victory. :)

EVOLVIST, Simon A, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  23. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Well, that clinches it. I've been on the fence since it was released but what the hell, I'll pick up a copy of the new LP. Happy listening everyone!

RSteven likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MLutthans "High in April...shot sown in May"? Not you, my friend. We have differed quite regularly here over the years. But I have and WILL ALWAYS continue to enjoy your invaluable contributions to this forum.

Carry on... :targettiphat: