Frank Sinatra "Strangers in the Night" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KipB, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Once again, thanks for the informative post.

That arrangement on Sweet Lorraine fits Sinatra like a hand in glove, great track.

2. I have a Reprise Australia stereo LP of Strangers In The Night on the "anxious" Frank Reprise label. Haven't listened to it in a while. Will give it a spin later today.

3. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

I have an extra copy, US pressed, Reprise.. not an RE-1. $10 shipped.

4. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Is the mono "Strangers" available on a cd comp?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not available on CD.

6. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

:cry: I guess I'll have to find the 45.

7. Would love to see it happen. :agree:

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Or a mono LP.

9. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

There's a fair chance that these might become bestsellers.:shh:

10. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Frank Does Tunes That Young People Will Enjoy!":D

11. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Summer Wind" is on the 'Strangers...' LP,correct?-If so,is the mono LP the same mix as the original 45?-I have a rather worn,styrene 45 & I like the mix.I bought a 70s Stranger/Summer reissue 45 (pressed by Capitol).'Stranger' is the mono mix,but 'Summer Wind' doesn't sound like the original 45.I'm not sure if it's a folddown or just a mastering issue.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, basically - that seemed to be the idea. Sometimes recording with that sort of goal didn't work so well, other times it worked out fine, or somewhere in between. With "Call Me", Frank's version turned out really great, but it wasn't done in a commercial manner. Frank (and Nelson) just transformed it into something else - a "Moderns" song, without attempting (what they thought was) the commerical sound of the moment. "Call Me" ends up not sounding "old" now and has aged very well, where something like "Somewhere In Your Heart", one of those type of "Tunes That Young People Will Enjoy!" :), turned out just OK, and basically sounds dated...

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, it's on this album - second song. "Summer Wind" should be the same mix as the mono LP. I've never heard the 45, but I'm not aware of it having a unique mix.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No it is not.

"RE-1" on a CD does not mean it is noise reduced. It does not even necessarily mean there is a difference between it and the earlier version of a CD. Over on another thread we did extensive comparison of Neil Young CDs and found that CDs marked "RE-1" and "RE-2" were digitally identical to earlier versions of the CDs with no "RE" designation.

My guess is that there is just one mastering of this album on CD, and that the RE-1 version is identical to the earlier version.

15. bdvogel

bdvogel Forum Resident

Just for the 'records' (;)) - cannot be Capitol. I'm sure you meant Reprise (or some other Warner sublabel of the time).

Bernhard.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have a 1017-2 SRC+02...don't know what that means though it sounds good...purchased at a Record Theater in Buffalo on May 23, 1993...

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Capitol did some pressing work for Warners/Reprise in the mid-70's thru (at least) the early 80's. Sinatra related, off the top of my head I have at least a couple of copies of SHE SHOT ME DOWN that were pressed by Capitol, for instance.

18. bdvogel

bdvogel Forum Resident

Thanks for that info, Martin - I had never heard about such a thing before! Certainly most interesting. What are the details for the Capitol pressings of "She Shot Me Down"?

Best,
    Bernhard.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Bernhard, "pressings" does not imply that the Capitol name appears on the label or cover; only that Capitol's production facilities were used to manufacture the LP. Along similar lines, if I'm not mistaken, some Capitol LPs were pressed by Columbia.

20. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

so mr. hoffman, you can be hired to do a mastering, and you complete it- then its up to the label to decide wheather or not there actually gonna do anything with it?

ps: i am not a frank collector, but i do have this lp on Reprise mono

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Right. In the same vein, the earlier vinyl issues of the album this thread is about were pressed by Columbia (mastered too).

22. bdvogel

bdvogel Forum Resident

Thanks Bob & Martin - now I have the picture.

Bernhard.

23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I've just received this today and played this album for the very first time. What a strange creature it is! The only track I was familiar with was the title track. I've found half of the album to be entertaining whilst the other tracks just didn't do it for me. I had a feeling that Frank was really not invested in songs like On A Clear Day, Downtown and The Most Beautiful Girl In The World. On A Clear Day is way too slow and you can tell that Frank has no patience for it. He just sounds out of place and bored. Downtown is not a very good interpretation and sounds like he doesn't care much for it. In one of the other songs, I'm sure I heard a flubbed line that was left it.

The musicians are all top notch and I love that organ but this is the first time I hear Frank singing something where he's not delivering a performance. I've read in the thread that the album was thrown together and by some of his readings, you feel it.

I was lucky to find a first CD pressing (Japan for US / WEA-1017 1A5 6x) and the sound was quite stunning. I'm still happy to have it but I know I'll be skipping at least four tracks when I play it.

I will add that Summer Wind and All Or Nothing At All are really nice to listen to. That was a treat to hear for the first time.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There are only 2 1/2 good songs on there!

25. Unfortunately, this was largely a cash-in for Frank's first Billboard #1 single in over a decade...most of the album he was phoning it in...too bad...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.