Frank Sinatra - Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by powelb, Apr 8, 2013.

1. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Can someone provide a link to the above mentioned 2-fer?

2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

This is the one I need a link to. Thanks ahead of time.

3. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

4. DaveM4964

DaveM4964 Forum Resident

I've always preferred Dean Martin to Frank. Better entertainer, actor and singer. Just my opinion.

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ That's the UK link. It's also available from the US Amazon store: http://amzn.com/B0000073TP

As mentioned in the Best Sounding CDs thread, the track listings at both Amazon sites are wrong:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

How about a compilation of mellow Frank songs?

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I was wondering today, (and I haven't gone through this whole thread)- is there a good, comprehensive box set that covers his whole career, that includes all his hits and best tracks from all labels and eras? Or is that non existent?

9. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

If it was me I would go wtih "September of My Years", a great album, what I think of as Sunday Morning music especially if it is raining. ..
    There are a lot of good places to start though, maybe one of the Capital or Reprise greatest hits kind of things would work best for someone not familiar with the catalog..

bozburn likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Non-existent. You would need four separate box sets for each of his original labels: Victor, Columbia, Capitol, and Reprise. Plus odds and ends. (And even then, the best Capitol box would be less than comprehensive.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    joeislive and Smartin62 like this.
  11. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

You can get the various "Best of ..." box sets fom Colombia, Capitol & Reprise. A bit pricey, but reasonably comprehensive for the non-avid fan.

The Essential Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra RCA (2 CD set)
    The Best of the Columbia Years 1943-1952 Box set (4 CD set).
    The Capitol Years Box set (3 CD set)
    Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Collection Box set (4 CD set)

These are the ones most people like. Has all of the hits from each era. I know, sounds like a lot, a bit pricey, and it still only scratches the surface, but is comprehensive enough to satisfy you unless you get "bitten" (like I was) and want to hear it all.

Click on Bob F's link for "Franks Albums" to go to a truly comprehensive list of all releases for FS. Lot's of inside info on the Sinatra Family Forum. It's what I've used to build my own collection (84 CD's and still growing). Thanks Bob!

There's also this site http://sinatraguide.com/ with shorter reviews.

joeislive and Bob F like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Pick a period in his career and go from there...there are 4 different voices of Frank...

13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm probably most interested in his Capitol/Reprise stuff so I would probably want to check that stuff out . I'm surprised they haven't put out something like the complete Elvis Presley masters set ( which I own and love) but I guess it's a label issue. Although I'm not a big enough Sinatra fan to buy something like that , unless it was reasonably priced ($250 ish but I know that's a pipe dream ) so I guess I will stick to the recommended box sets and some select albums.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You may see something like that released next year (for the 2015 centennial of Sinatra's birth). Until recently, Capitol and Reprise were two completely separate labels. But since last year, both are under the Universal Music Group umbrella, so such a comprehensive box set is a possibility:

See —> Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

bozburn likes this.
  15. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Throwing in my endorsement for these sets as great ways to get a feel for what made Frank so great throughout his nearly six-decade career. Here's hoping, too, that you get "bitten" and seek his album work!

Bob F likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded!

I will add that if I could only have one set, I would definitely choose the Capitol one.

Bob F likes this.
  17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I would start with the BEST OF THE BEST compilation that came out a few years ago. From there I went to NO ONE CARES and ONLY THE LONELY. I haven't explored much more yet.

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Agreed. And despite having been issued 24 years ago, The Capitol Years 3-CD set has arguably the best sound quality of any Sinatra/Capitol on compact disc (short of the recent MoFi remasters).

paulmock, bozburn and howlinrock like this.
  19. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I started with the 3 CD Capital Years box mentioned above. While it is a great way to approach Sinatra's singles, I think I would recommend starting with Wee Small Hours and Songs for Swingin' Lovers if I had to choose just a couple of albums. I really think you miss a lot of his artistry without hearing the songs in the album environment.

While I don't know if the sound quality is any good, I have seen a 14 CD box on Amazon for $39.99. I think I would start there since the price makes it so easy. You can upgrade to vinyl or SACD (of some titles) later if you find SQ is lacking. Outside of Capital, I like his "Sinatra at the Sands" (fantastic on DVD-A if you can find it) and "September of My Years", and the Jobim album. Lots of great stuff in all of the Sinatra decades.

howlinrock likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The sound quality is NOT good, but as you say, the price is right for the bulk of the original Capitol concept albums in an attractive "mini" package. Just be aware: These are repackaged versions of the 1998–2002 "Entertainer of the Century" CDs (= 2000 Concepts box set) without most bonus tracks, mastered by Bob Norberg. Surplus stock of what was once a TV infomercial offer.

21. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I should correct myself - I actually have 163 total discs (CD's & DVD's) spread over 84 titles. And about to add another.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uin-1962-incl-parts-of-sinatra-sextet.374289/

See! Someday you could just as obsessed as we are! Happy collecting!

p.s. I forgot to list Frank Sinatra: The Complete Capitol Singles Collection (4 CD set) to go along with The Capitol Years (3 CD set).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  22. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Is the "2000 Concepts Box" the same recordings that were on the earlier Concepts box that came in the black wooden box? Just curious.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Same recordings, but the earlier (1992) CONCEPTS wooden "breadbox" collected the original CD issues, mastered by Larry Walsh from 1987-1991. These were far superior sonically to the later CD remasters by Bob Norberg, contained in the newer (2000) CONCEPTS cardboard box set. A clear case of newer NOT being better. Avoid the cardboard box set and the equivalent (current) individual EOTC ("Entertainer of the Century" logo) Capitol CDs dated 1998-2002.

bozburn and uofmtiger like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

uofmtiger likes this.
  25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

MFSL sacds of Songs For Swingin Lovers and Where Are You

DmitriKaramazov and bozburn like this.