Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Just got around to spinning this today and damn, it really is a great pressing!
    They sure were skimpy on the recording info - null

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    MLutthans likes this.
  4. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

It's funny but that sleeve looks like a Colombia cover from the blue box. Also I have slight issue them using the cover of Nice n Easy for the photo as it would have been many years after the recording. Just me being pedantic on detail.

5. Bob F

That was the cover of an Italian picture sleeve reissue of the original 1954
    single. The “Nice ‘n’ Easy” pic was timely for the 1959 release.

roda12 and MLutthans like this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This will be me on Monday around noon PST as I put on the Duophonic LP of A Jolly Christmas for @rangerjohn !!!!!

7. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

I like your outfit but those heels are bad for your feet. :)

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wheel in another cart for stereo.

rangerjohn, aoxomoxoa and paulmock like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MMM That's very true! How else will I achieve that wonderful Duophonic effect???

Happy Holidays, Martin!

rangerjohn and MMM like this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you...same to you, Paul, and everyone here that celebrates a holiday this time of year. :)

rangerjohn and ggjjr like this.
  11. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks for the shout-out, Paul! Merry Christmas!

paulmock likes this.
  12. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Officially terminated a week ago. Very sad. Doesn't sound like anything he did were fireable offenses. But WNYC put themselves in a compromised position by mishandling the Hockenberry affair. So, they had to cover their a$$es by firing Schwartz and Lopate.

I've missed his shows very much the last two weekends, and of course his annual Christmas Show, at which many jazz/American standard people were scheduled to appear, had to be cancelled.

I hope that he starts a podcast.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  13. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

What can we expect from Universal Music next year? There are still so many Capitol and Reprise albums that need a fresh remastering.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Can we ever realistically hope for a complete Capitol collection that has all the masters? The albums would be presented as released with the singles, unreleased tracks, etc. on their own discs?

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

16. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Hi Steve,
    sorry for asking a question which does not really fit into this thread and which has partially already been answered. Nevertheless ….. Some time ago Bob referred to your statement that, with the exception of RADD, “everything else Sinatra recorded at United/Western was recorded wet until the 8 track era began. Everything. Double reverb, once at the session, again at the stereo remix."

So, given that ‘September Of My Years’ seems to be the first 8 track available, do I rightly assume that this was the first dry recording after RADD? But the question I consider even more interesting is, why did the 8 track era change the way the Sinatra recordings were done?

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

IIRC, the first album recorded 8 track is CYCLES. The Ellington album was 4 track...

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  18. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Thanks, Martin, for this information. An 8 track Ellington album was offered at eBay in February 2017, the 8 track September of My Years Album was already available in 1967 as shown by Andrew on the Sinatra Family Website.
    So, do I then rightly assume that the production of an 8 track Album does not require an 8 track recording?

19. Bob F

Correct. You're confusing “8-Track” cartridges with 8-track recordings. One has nothing to do with the other. There were 8-Track carts of mono Columbia recordings.

grumpy old man and MLutthans like this.
  20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Right...the format of the recording medium in the studio has nothing to do with release format.

My guess re why the multis on the 3 and 4 tracks vs the 8 track stuff might have more done to them on the spot is because the engineer likely wanted to get the recording more complete during the session vs an 8+ track multitrack where the elements are more separated and can be treated/processed more individually later on.

grumpy old man and paulmock like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MMM As I recall Cycles and Dean's Gentle on My Mind (from the same time period) used a special type of recording system which is listed on the back of the LP. (Haego-Something...yes???) It didn't seem to last too long as I don't recall seeing it listed on any other of their albums.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

They made the mix with HAECO CSG, which puts the mix partially out of phase to help preserve the balances if played back in mono. This was during the phase out of mono records. Thankfully it can be reversed nowadays.

The multis are unaffected by this...

paulmock likes this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, you can really tell a difference on Deans' GOMM in mono. Unfortunately, to my knowledge no mono pressing of Cycles exists. Dean's may well have been the final Reprise LP released in mono.

24. AJH

AJH Senior Member

It messed with the lower frequencies and really made the stereo image and vocal sound "muddy" (for lack of a better term). Listening to one of these recordings on a mono phonograph was also strange listen. This process was not a good idea.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It definitely made the vocal phasey sounding. You need to rotate the phase on a channel 90 degrees to help...

Haeco-CSG - Wikipedia

AJH likes this.