Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Standing Room Only makes me think small clubs? How many did Sinatra play over time?

2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

We shall see... But I wished there'd be a good sounding 70's nightclub concert. It was the only period where Sinatra alternated his concert program with different songs or completely different arrangements.
    For instance, there's a wonderful 70s Nelson Riddle arrangement of "You go to my head" that I wish would see the light someday. Or Don Costa's "Laura".

Otherwise I'm afraid we'll get the same old songs again and again. "Not that there's anything wrong with that!":D:D:D

Benno123 likes this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I own over 50 Sinatra Concerts on cd. I hope there is something released that I DON'T have.

DmitriKaramazov and Benno123 like this.
  4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I would like to see a complete Reprise collection in a compact box-set with the CD's in cardboard sleeves, like was done for Capitol:

[​IMG]

Only in better sound quality, of course.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There is also a gorgeous full orchestra version of "Shadow of Your Smile" ala' Jenkins.

kennyluc1, roda12 and bozburn like this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The odds of them releasing something I DON'T have are very, very slim. My hopes are that the sound quality is vastly improved.

kennyluc1 and roda12 like this.
  7. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I always hope they will improve the quality of the sound on each new release, but usually it doesn't happen unless MFSL is involved. A lot of us would purchase most of Frank's catalog all over again if the sound quality was vastly improved.

Unfortunately, I'm at the point where unless trusted ears report that the sound quality is better than it is on a prior release (or that new material sounds really good), I'm probably not buying any new release. I've been stung too many times to just continue buying material that doesn't sound any better than what I already own or just sounds very marginal.

8. Richard--W

I know some 1950s concerts are on disc already, but my hope is that they will release a box set of Sinatra's 1950s concerts, in chronological order with complete setlists. Such a set would enable us to follow the arc of his progress as a concert artist. The earliest I know of is at the Blackpool Opera House in 1953, which is an unusual show to say the least. They must have tapes we haven't heard yet, don't you think?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Benno123 likes this.
  9. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Oakland '68? :righton:

frankfan1 likes this.
  10. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Stay clear of wishful thinking. If you expect something great, you will certainly be disappointed. So, expect the worst, then you will be pleased of what they will release!!

11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Is there a lot of crossover b/t Capitol Years and Capitol Singles Collection?

Are they both essential? They're both reasonably priced.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Some crossover. Both essential, even with the sonic problems on the singles box.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id like to have THAT in mofi sound quality. Reprise too while theyre at it. Until they put out a proper Capitol digital boxset in the best sound quality, the rest is just fluff to me.

*folds arms and sticks out bottom lip*

Richard--W likes this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Can anyone recommend the new Sinatra At The Sands vinyl? I sold my mofi and need a stereo copy. Any good?

15. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Or that jazz combo version of "Lover, Come Back To Me," from January 1978 at the Sands. One of the strongest performances in Sinatra's career. He just tears the song apart.

Benno123 and roda12 like this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Since 1991 I've had plenty of Sinatra Capitol and Reprise recordings under one roof.

Galley, Richard--W and Beaneydave like this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Cool packaging but I believe these are the much maligned Norberg remasters. As you said, better sound would be great if they did this for the Reprise years.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'd like to see a release of the show at Bill Miller's Riviera in Paramus NJ from 1953. That is a profound recording, from acetates.

19. Richard--W

Me, too.
    This summer, please.

20. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Man, I've always wanted to hear that one. Perchance to dream.

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Don’t hold your breath. Not a chance.

22. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Would love to hear that

Peace and love✌

23. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Does anyone know why Frank only worked with Claus Ogerman a couple of times. I thought his work on the Jobim album and The World We Knew were superb. Such a shame.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

I don’t know if ths is it, but the following has just been listed, for release May 23, 2018, from Universal Music:

CDJapan : Live in Japan 1985 [DVD+2CD] (Title subject to change) Frank Sinatra DVD

Translated description: “Features Frank Sinatra's concert in Japan. The DVD features his concert held in April 1985 at Nippon Budokan. The CD features unreleased tracks with remastering.

(Note that the Japan release date is a Wednesday, so the release of the same or a similar box set might be Friday, May 18 or May 25, in the US and EU.)

paulmock likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    paulmock likes this.