Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok kids. I fianally spurged the $25 for the 100th anniversary of Sinatra At The Sands. I was reluctant but I have two mono copies and I think this an album that shines in stereo. Well, I was spot on and this UME version is a winner. I sold my MOFI when I was hard up for cash and this sounds every bit as good.

In other words.... in other words
    I
    love ....
    you !

(UME sands)

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hmmmm...managed to get a sealed UMe for pennies on the dollar. It remains sealed.....Hmmmmm...

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Just ordered the Reprise Collection CD box off of discogs. Been meaning to do that for awhile. :D

CBackley likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It’s a winner in my book.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I still don’t have She Shot Me Down on vinyl. I need to rectify this shortcoming soon, because I love that album. Easily my favorite later Frank album. But I’m torn between ordering the recent UMe reissue or tracking down an original pressing. Does anyone have advice for which option is better? (I tried searching here and the SFF but I didn’t see any direct comparisons.)

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With some patience, you can probably find a used copy for $1. Most used copies are mint or near mint.

aoxomoxoa and CBackley like this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks. Do you suggest an original pressing over the reissue?

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't have a vinyl reissue. New CDs may be had for about $5. I see importCDs selling the new vinyl for about $9. Why not buy both? Then when you see a mint original, pick that up. It is not an expensive disc.

CBackley likes this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m not sure where you’re looking, but this seemed too good to be true. The UMe vinyl reissue of She Shot Me Down retails for $25. The price I see at importCDs is $20.14, plus $2.99 standard shipping.

CBackley likes this.
  10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I found it on eBay via ImportCD for $12.54 when I looked just now, the actual website was higher. I did, however, purchase a still sealed first edition release of SSMD on discogs for $5, plus postage .... everything was mint except the corners were a tad scuffed like they sometimes get. Very satisfied and happy ... happy hunting!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I could not confirm what precise edition importCDs is offering, but it is on Amazon USA's page for the vinyl, listed under marketplace. Amazon has multiple vinyl listings. ImportCDs often offers blowout prices on Amazon or Ebay which do not appear on their own site and they can disappear fast.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When they sell on EBay, their price may be a tad higher than on Amazon marketplace, because they often include free shipping on EBay (while they can charge $4 shipping extra on Amazon) So you got their best blowout (with the shipping included)

Benno123 likes this.
  13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have ordered from their eBay store but not website. Overall very happy with shipping speed (it could help that I am just a state away) and sturdy packaging.

14. Bob F

Okay, sorry, I missed that. The Amazon listing is for the UMe edition, at $8.55 + $3.99 shipping—close to half the price at the importCDs website. A bargain.

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Or order it from them on eBay for $12.54 and get “free” shipping ... haha!!

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I suspect Amazon started a policy where marketplace dealers could not avoid Amazon fees by offering lower prices on their own site. Some years ago, importCDs offered the best prices on their own site. Not anymore. Amazon can track this stuff easily.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'm rather surprised to see UMe spending the big bucks to buy a 1/4 page add in the A&E section of today's LA Times to promote the Baby Blue Eyes album.

aoxomoxoa and Bob F like this.
  18. Bob F

Can anyone post a scan or photo?

teag likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Let me try...not very good at this stuff at times.

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It is in the CALENDAR section. Hope this one is OK for you @Bob F :wave:

Bob F likes this.
  21. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

It is not even a gate-fold cover.

22. Bob F

:thumbsup:

23. Bob F

It’s back: Sinatra in Japan – Live at the Budokan 1985 [DVD+2CD]

The following has just been relisted, for release May 23, 2018, from Universal Music. This appears to be a Japan-only release to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Frank Sinatra’s passing:

[​IMG]

CDJapan » Sinatra In Japan: Live At The Budokan 1985 [DVD+2CD]
    Amazon Japan » www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07B5W1TTR
    Universal Music Japan » www.universal-music.co.jp/frank-sinatra/products/UIBY-15088

Features:
    • DVD + 2-CD set is for sale exclusively in Japan.
    • Previously-issued DVD contains portions of Nippon Budokan performances from April 18 and 19, 1985, as televised in the original Japanese TV documentary.
    • Japanese version DVD includes a first-time Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio track, along with commentary by promoter/producer/director Danny O’Donovan and live photographs from Sinatra’s visit to Japan.
    • First worldwide CD release of the complete unedited Nippon Budokan concert from April 18, 1985, with newly remastered audio.
    • CD 2 includes as a bonus track a studio recording of “Strangers in the Night” which is the theme song for an upcoming Japanese TV drama series.

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Nice...but is there really anything "to write home about here"? Maybe I am missing something. Just the 4/18 complete concert maybe???

kennyluc1 likes this.
  25. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Encouraging that Universal Japan is going it's own way with a Sinatra release. Perhaps Universal EU will follow suit.
    Will DVD be playable in US?

paulmock likes this.