Frank Zappa Absolutely Free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zinnser, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Nothing about the Canadian version on this page, and We're Only In It For The Money is the only Mothers album where there are known notable differences in MGM/Verve stereo pressings, unless I'm forgetting something - but let us know if you hear anything different.

3. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Love this album. It can be called great, I think. I've felt this way since the first time I heard it in the sixties. Original vinyl is best for me but they were never close to audiophile quality, of course.

4. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

This has recently replaced We're Only In It For The Money as my favorite Zappa album. I've been playing this a lot lately. I just had to say.

And I know (I think) the love I have for it will grow and grow and grow (well maybe).

5. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Probably my favorite Zappa album. I laughed my *** off the first time I heard it. It's also probably one of THE best Zappa albums to play in front of your friends and party-goers to get that classic 'What The Heck Is This!!?? reaction.

6. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

One of my favorite Zappa lyrics. The heartfelt lack of conviction still delights.

My first three Zappa records were WOIIFTM in late '67, Ruben & The Jets a couple of months later, and Absolutely Free shortly after that. Frank in his glory days of looking like "a dead tree with suspenders."

AF remains one of his five or six greatest albums. How I rank them depends on my mood that day.

"Think this'll sell in New York?"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I re- sequenced to cdr so that
    the single is at the end , can you believe
    Big Leg Emma was the A side ?

8. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Hi, Skip!
    I got my girlfriend into it through The Duke of Prunes. It clicked with her. Pretty big feat since her fav is 80s Phil Collins. She loves Big Leg Emma too.

Believe it or not I've still never heard Ruben & The Jets. It's always intrigued me though. Gonna have to jump on that soon.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Best heard on vinyl , avoid
    the 80's abomination !

10. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Thanks, J. No CD of the original mix exists?

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Prune! (Pah-Da-Dahhh!)
    If it is a real prune...(Pah-Da-Dahhh!)
    Knows no cheese!
    (Chunka Chunka Chunka Chunka Chunka Chunka Chunka . . . )
    And stands alone. . .(Oh No-o-o-o!)
    Taller & stronger
    Than any tree
    Or bush!

I always heard that the multitrack for AF is MIA, it's the only album not to recieve a remix for Mothermania and other reisues. You can hear tape skewing on "Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin" and gobs of digital reverb to mask all the dropouts and defects on the original master (or what FZ was using for the CD).

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

13. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

This was the Mothers album that started me on my Zappa oddesey way back in the day. I went on to collect every LP since.
    BTW the quote is..."And I know (I think) the love I have for you will grow and grow and grow (well maybe)". :cheers:

14. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I know but I altered it slightly to relate to my post.:wave:

15. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

OK I get it now.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

For Ruben & The Jets (yes), AF (no)

Preface from the original libretto:

Music has always shown how people think and feel, according to John Tasker Howard. He is probably right. The music of the MOTHERS speaks of the feelings of what might be described as THE VAST MINORITY. The feelings of the people on the fringe of everything ... the ones who don't care if they're IN or OUT ... don't care if they're HIP, HEP, SWINGIN' or ZORCH. This is the audience the MOTHERS want to reach... those few who have the power within themselves to cause or motiviate social change but have never used it for one reason or another. If you are reading this and understand it (even if you have short hair and watch TV 18 hours a day), it is time that you realized WHO and WHAT YOU ARE. It is time you realized what the words to our songs mean.

This album was recorded the week before Thanksgiving, November 1966 in Los Angeles at the Sunset-Highland Studios of T.T.G. Inc., in a series of 4 sessions (about 25 studio hours). It was edited and re-mixed in New York City at the MGM Studios in 5 sessions (about 35 studio hours) the following week. The album was finally released around May 26, 1967 ... the reason for the delay? Partly because of this libretto. The original plan was to include within the album, the words in this brochure. The record company attempted to censor the words and a long involved discussion ensued. We were forced to manufacture this product.

The music itself took several years to compose (AMERICA DRINKS & GOES HOME was written in 1964 ... most of the other segments were written before or shortly after FREAK OUT!, our first album, was released in 1966). We hope that this material will help you to enjoy our work on a more personal level.

Thank you
    Frank Zappa
    for the MOTHERS of Invention

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I removed it entirely.

I thought it was cool when I first bought the CD, but those two songs don't really hold up to repeated listenings, IMO. The album proper has much stronger material.

20. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Yes, this.

Wasn't the single supposed to be the Mothers' last-gasp attempt for the pop charts? I just couldn't picture "Big Leg Emma" fitting in with the standard 1967 Boss Hitbound rotation for some reason. :shrug:

21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

22. Thanks Hamhead! I had never even seen that libretto before in all these years!

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Melody-wise, yes it might've. Lyrically, no way :D

There's a big dilemma
    About my Big Leg Emma, uh-huh, oh yeah
    There's a big dilemma
    She used to knock me out
    Until her face broke out

There's a big dilemma
    There's a big dilemma