Frank Zappa Absolutely Free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zinnser, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I still have my original vinyl of AF, love all those early albums.

2. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I'm probably in a minority, but my favorite track from this album is Status Back Baby. Perfect satire.

marc with a c likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

This is like The Supremes...See the way it builds up. Ya feel it?

BABY BABY BABY BABY! :laugh: My pruuuuuuuune is yourrrrrrrrrs

D.H. likes this.
  4. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

So, a couple of questions that probably don't merit another thread... Maybe I can just ask them here.

If I own the Lumpy Money collection, is it worth tracking down any of the other sundry issues of We're Only in It for the Money or Absolutely Free if I'm not a completest?

Also, is the 2012 remaster of Absolutely Free the one to get on CD?

Thanks!

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Absolutely. The old Rykos don't hold a candle to these 2012 remasterings. They've really done Frank's catalog right these last few years.

As for your other question, depending on how much you dig these albums. Lumpy Money features the original mono versions of Lumpy Gravy (without the spoken word bits) and We're Only in It for the Money, which both sound fantastic. It also includes the controversial 80s remixes of these two albums. I think it's worth it to have the stereo We're Only in It for the Money, sans 80s overdubs, though I haven't gotten around to replacing my Ryko there. The mono versions are my go to mixes at this point. I don't think I've ever heard the mono Absolutely Free, but I would love to.

Mechanical Man and jsayers like this.
  6. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Thanks so much!

7. AF and "Sgt. Pepper's" got released a mere few days apart. Isn't it a surprising coincidence that they both are "concept" albums, and both with the tracks not banded and seguing into each others? Either that or a good case of industrial espionage?...

EDIT: ...and both have a theme that's reprised?...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Tristero likes this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Absolutely Free is my favorite of the early Mothers albums, probably because it was the only one I heard for years, until the early albums were reissued on CD. When I got into Zappa in the late 70s, all of the early Mothers's albums were OOP. I found a copy of AF in the college library and made a tape copy. Five or six years later I found bootleg copies of Freak Out and We're Only In It For the Money. The sound quality on those were horrible so I didn't listen to them a lot. By the time the CDs came out, AF was ingrained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.