Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. soop.broth

soop.broth Forum Resident

On to the next thing to worry about...

I compared the new Mystery Disc liner notes with the Ryko version. Oh boy. The new ones are severely truncated. Many of the blurbs are shortened and some are missing entirely. The ENTIRE first page is also absent, as well as the entire last page ("Fetish Dept").

Now I really wish I hadn't sold my Lost Episodes and Yellow Shark Ryko discs so quickly. Who knows how much material they will truncate from those releases! Maybe Playground Psychotics too?

UGH!!!

3. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

Hi, I'm new here.
    The 2012 UMe remasters are great in terms of the audio quality.
    Unfortunately, however, there are glitches in some releases.
    So far, I found three titles having this problem.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    - My Guitar (at 1:34)

Fillmore East
    - Bwana Dik (at 2:18)

Joe's Garage
    - Packard Goose (at 3:37 and 5:19)
    - Watermelon (at 5:51 and 5:53)

Most of the glitches are quite subtle, and some people might think it's negligible.
    But the last one in Watermelon is loud enough to ruin the post-solo section of the beautiful piece.
    Has anybody noticed this?

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have not yet, but I will give a listen to my Joe's Garage. Thanks.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, now I have preordered Läther also.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's a bummer about "Mystery Disc". And no nice booklet for "Lost Eps" & "Yellow Shark" ? Ouch.

7. soop.broth

Has that been confirmed? Have the Lost Eps and YS booklets been chopped?

8. Hi! I only have WRMF and Burnt Weeny Sandwich so far. I can't hear your glitch on "My Guitar".

But there is one on "Burnt Weeny", near the beginning of "Aybe Sea". You may look up the earlier thread parts for the details.

9. soop.broth

The glitch you're hearing in "My Guitar" is on the master tape. It's not so much a glitch, but an odd note.

The Bwana Dik section just sounds like a bit over a microphone over modulation. There are many on that recording.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There is also one bit in "Little Umbrellas" in Hot Rats that sounds like a digi glitch, but it is on the master (and on my blue label Bizarre LP).

11. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Aren't these new discs you are replacing the same masters as the Rykos? Why would you sell the Rykos for the exact same mastering?

12. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I found Mothermania at my local Best Buy. I have never seen a list of this recent batch regarding the sources used. Is Ahead Of Their Time an analog transfer? If not, I might be complete. :winkgrin:

13. soop.broth

That's sort of irrelevant to the issue at hand... but mostly because some of my old copies were showing some serious wear.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There is only one master of Ahead Of Their Time, the digital one FZ prepared in the early 90's.

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I hung onto my Ryko Mystery Disc.

Scope J likes this.
  16. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

In the case of Weasels and Fillmore, these "glitches" can't be found on 1990 Ryko CDs.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yg9m5d
    This is a short sample of the two versions of My Guitar (1990 Ryko vs 2012 UMe). The playback speed is at 50%, so you can hear the difference more clearly.

17. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

http://www.sendspace.com/file/da1mi5
    And this is from Bwana Dik (1990 Ryko vs 2012 UMe).
    Hope you can notice the little noise at 0:05 of this sample!

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Help me a bit, what should I next do with Zappa-stuff?
    Where to go next?

I have all the 2012 issues and all the upcoming ones I have preorder (all 58 albums + UA + Läther as they are listed here:
    http://theseconddisc.com/2012/10/26...rive-and-details-emerge-next-batch-announced/

Previously I did not have any Zappa-albums and so I havent digged deeper to the live/obscure-release-stuff.
    I dont have any of the so called releases outside of primary-discography (like Road Tapes etc).

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Any releases you particularly like? That would be helpful for suggesting others to buy.

20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

My suggestion would be that you take some time to explore the core catalogue you just collected and get to know it better, as so many of those albums only will bear you fruit over time. Once you are more familiar with them those questions you ask now will answer themselves.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yes, that sounds great for me.
    I have already heard great bunch of the albums but theres still much to listen to.
    So much material to enjoy from anyways.

Is there by the way, any ort of good guide for the albums on internet?
    For whole discography but I mainly for the "next step" after the normal discography.

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Or put another way...

Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is THE BEST.

23. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I never saw the original Barking Pumpkin issue of Mystery Disc to compare to, but is it possible that the Ryko version had additional liner notes compared to the Barking Pumpkin? Since the 2012 UME versions are supposedly more faithful to the Barking Pumpkin versions, perhaps the liner notes follow the same logic? Again, just speculation since I've never seen the Barking Pumpkin version.

24. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Really enjoying the alt mixes on Mothermania.

Them or Us is in heavy rotation as well. Doug Sax mastered baby! Sounds sweet, best ever.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.