Frank Zappa/John Lennon-Fillmore East

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the songs on the sometime in new york city album with Zappa and Lennon are the only songs they peformed that night at Fillmore East?

2. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Except for "Well," it's a stretch to call them songs : )

There is a bootleg with the complete John and Yoko portion. It's the same songs, just not shortened like the released version on Sometime in New York City.

There's a famous story about this tape. Zappa had a state-of-the-art storage vault, in his home I believe, and the John and Yoko master reel was the only one that ever came up stolen. Of course he must have been talking about *after* the record came out.

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Originally the J & Y portion of the concert was slated to be included on the Mother's at Fillmore East album, but John wanted the tracks on his lp and Zappa relented. The Lennon's mislabled one of the songs played which was actually Zappa's "King Kong", or at least it started out that way before turning into a free-fall jam and Yoko babble.

Zappa's mix of the J&Y appearance was released on CD sometime in the 90's on the "Playground Psychotic's" CD, and as a token of his appreciation, he titled the last jam of the set as "A Small Eternity with Yoko Ono".

dlokazip and Muddy like this.
  4. Tone

Tone Senior Member

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There are different sections of it missing from both the version Lennon released and the one Zappa released. Don't know if any parts are missing from both.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think both are missing the last verse of "Well (Baby Please Don't Go)" as it gets more and more ragged until they go into the improv part.

Here is the original video (the one posted by Tone tries to synch the video to one of the official mixes).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    dlokazip and Rfreeman like this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I know there's a mix in circulation that uses Lennon and Zappa's mixes plus two audience recordings to present the entire encore.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

dlokazip and Rfreeman like this.
  9. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I just watched it for the first time in my life. who knew the babygoat crying for it's mummy was actually Yoko Ono?

10. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Mr Zappa wasn't too happy with Mr and Mrs Lennon.

11. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Everyone.

(Except you, I guess :))

12. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I once heard Yoko Ono's contribution to that show descibed as "The Death Yodel" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.