Frank Zappa - "One Size fits all" / Discreet LPs without the skip in "Inca Roads"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member Thread Starter

As many of you will know, there are a lot of early copies of the "One Size fits all" LP which have a skip in "Inca Roads" at approximately 4:40 into the song. Is there a reliable way to identify "OSFA" Discreet LPs that do not have this fault?

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Um ... I bought the LP on day-of-release in June 1975 and there's no skip on my copy.

3. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I have gone through two copies with the skip, but my current copy does not have it.
    Deadwax info on side 1:

31874-1B DS-2216 KENDUN B

There's also a whole bunch of matrix numbers scratched out.

I no longer have the faulty copies.

4. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

This is interesting, back when I first started buying Zappa in the early 80's, pretty much all of the (save for a few strays) 60's/70's catalogue was out of print.
    "One Size" was one of the few I picked up new, but Inca Rd's had a skip in it, I remember looking at the vinyl & seeing nothing wrong with it, so I did what we all did back in those days, stuck a coin on the arm & it played through ok, in fact the old coin on the arm trick worked a treat because the album never skipped again on any turntable, but there was/is an audible click there now (I still hear/expect the skip when playing the CD, but of course it never happens!)
    I just assumed I had an iffy copy, wasn't aware there were loads of 'em.

5. Sheik Yerbouti

There are many websites which cover this topic with at least two sentences. However, none of them says if there's a way to tell non-skipping "OSFA" LPs from those that have the mistake in question.

My own copy is a somewhat strange animal. Although it has German Discreet labels on both sides, side one was pressed using a US stamper. Unfortunately, it does have the skip in "Inca Roads".

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I think Kendun B stampers are clean while the Kendun A's have the skip.

7. Sheik Yerbouti

That corresponds with D Schnozzman's posting #3. In fact, my "OSFA" LP with the skip has "Kendun A" in the deadwax.

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

That was at least my personal experience with OSFA on vinyl. I would be on the lookout for Kendun B copies.

9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

That's similar to my experience, however I didn't get to the record store till a day or two after the LP's appearance. :righton: No skip on mine.

I hitchhiked about 50 miles from rural Tennessee to Nashville to get the record ! Oh those were the days ! :winkgrin:

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

My copy has KENDUN-A in the lead-out and I could find no skip on IR.
    Not all copy with KENDUN-A have skip?

11. I like the AU20 cd pressing, sounds flawless. Try that one.

12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Slightly OT, but has there been such an issue with the US Bizarre pressing of Hot Rats? My copy skipped in the first seconds of Peaches En Regalia. A replacement copy I found cheap had the same issue, on the same spot...

13. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

IIRC the skip is in the middle of the vocal chorus at the end of the guitar solo (the "da da da da da da da" bit). It's in between two vocal lines so if you were unfamiliar with the piece you might not notice it (and it seems it went undetected on at least one test pressing).

If you know the piece, however, it's dead obvious. I still get anxious when that part approaches.

So if you know the piece and you didn't notice the skip, I'd say that at least some KENDUN-A copies don't have it.

Skip would be at around the 4:41 mark in this clip (which does not have the skip)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg6X2hsl52E

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No skip on my copy.

15. I bought one last year that had skips all over, sounded otherwise just like my other US Bizarre original, yet looked mint even on close inspection! Since it was sold (not sealed) in a strange modern-looking, perfectly clean cover, I assumed in the end it was a counterfeit and returned it to the store.

16. My Canadian pressing of OSFA is fine on this.

This is the first time I hear about this issue. If I ever can upgrade for a "Kendun" one I will be on the look-out, thanks!

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thank you very much for detailed information. :wave:
    I think it went through well but I'll re-check it another day.

18. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

I had the skip on mine for years (since it came out) and had no idea others had it too!!! However when I got my Audio-Technica 95E cartrige and played it, it went through as though the skip never existed.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

My Koetsu has no problem either.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I picked up a beautiful, visually mint copy about 8 months ago, and this solves a mystery. Pressing flaw. Dang.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Went through 2 Kendun A copies, both had the skip, second time got another LP, bought one 8 months later, which was a Kendun B, no skip!

22. Sheik Yerbouti

Thank you very much!

23. Bobbeyo

Bobbeyo Active Member

My copy has MASTERED BY CAPITOL/ DS-1-2216-J2 and the name jay.It doesn't have the skip. Nobody mentioned it so I was wondering if anyone had any info. It's in beautiful condition in and out. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.