Frank Zappa Song By Song Thread (1966-96)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 21, 2018.

1. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Yup, that is true. Lisa Cohen.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Haven't read through all of the posts yet. We're Only In It for the Money--did we get into a big discussion about the redone bass & drums version from the 80s? . . . Am I the only weirdo who prefers that version?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

It's a shame the Persuasions didn't include it on their Zappa album. I did see them sing it at founding member Jerry Lawson's final appearance and it killed!

mcchocchoc and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

No we haven’t.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, she is the one asking “what would you do daddy?”

SOONERFAN and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. mcchocchoc

No discussion about that. I prefer the original mix, but I also very much enjoy the remix, new drum/bass version. I was familiar with the original lp before the 2-fer cd was released.
    A lot of folks heard that cd first and many of them like that version more.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard it first. I wouldn't say I like it more, but I can enjoy it.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Zappa in 1975/76 singing the "all your children..." outro. Always enjoyed that.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I knew the original version for a long time before the redone version, but I still prefer the redone version. To me the redone bass and drums helped the songs "come into clarity." I like the redone Ruben & the Jets a lot, too (although I know we haven't gotten there yet).

mcchocchoc and Zoot Marimba like this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Whilst on topic... Has anyone seen this news? —

The rare mono mix of "We're Only In It For The Money". Pressed on vinyl for the first time since 1968 as a collectable variable picture disc, featuring four versions of unseen art from the Vault (and one exclusive picture in Europe). Mastered by Bernie Grundman in 2018. Just in time for its 50th Anniversary. Hotcha!

RSDBF '18 Special Release: Frank Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That last picture is from HEAD. (By the way, movie and soundtrack are on my list for retrospective threads.)

12. Zoot Marimba

Absolutely Free:

Now we reach Absolutely Free. If you thought Zeppelin invented the “title track of an album other than the one it appears on”, you are wrong.
    The track starts with a very beautiful piano by Ian before Suzy said she will not do publicity balling for [you] anymore, which is alone that came from Gary Kellgren. The piano starts to gain some punch, accented by tambourine. Roy’s bass ties the track together while a harpsichord adds a baroque touch to the track, the drums adding a marching beat to the track, the track growing warped before it finally ends.
    Absolutely Free is an awesome track and one of my favorites on this record and within the Mothers’ repertoire.

13. mcchocchoc

Excellent track, also one of my favorites from the album. This song, like most of the album, is really fun to sing along with.

Here's a slightly longer instrumental mix . . .

rufus t firefly and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Wait a minute!......
    I'd like to add THIS to "What's The Ugliest....."-------

Back in the day (we're talking '81-'83) I had SEEN "..Money", but never heard it...
    I was a regular listener of "The Dr. Demento Show", and, one fateful night, he played the "Reprise" version...
    This was the first time I heard ANY of the album....
    I do recall once (ONCE, mind you) a local rock station actually played "Brown Shoes..";
    I could tell the "Verve-era" Zappa would be 'right-up-my-ally', but of course, back then, those album were high up on the walls of used records store, going for upwards of $50 bucks, or more.
    Thank God for Dr. Demento... I got to hear at least ONE SONG for "..Money".....
    I knew this album would enter my life.....
    That was life before the internet, kids!

15. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Doors did it too, with "Waiting For The Sun".

Zoot Marimba and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mcchocchoc

That's the truth. I remember paying $50 and more for a lot of early Zappa/Mothers lps during the early/mid 80s. I also remember buying many for very cheap prices during the early/mid 90s. Crazy.

Zoot Marimba and mark winstanley like this.
  17. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

I think "Absolutely Free" would have been a good song for Yes to do.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For sure, i remember paying over $350 each for the first two old masters box sets .. but if you could even find zappa in Perth West Australia, it would have cost more than the new boxes

Zoot Marimba and mcchocchoc like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

That is true; but Zappa did it before them as WFTS is on Morrison Hotel, which is 1970.

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

I’m curious as to whether younger listeners
    understand what is meant by the line
    “There is no time to lick your stamps
    and paste them in”.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Zappa in typical fashion starts with some beautiful piano, then explains the first word of the song, which then comes in as a slow polka at first. Obviously with Zappa there are a few tempo variations. For the most part this is a fairly smooth and pretty song ...
    As for the message, I'm not altogether sure .... I get the impression he is making fun of transcendental meditation, which I believe was big in the hippy movement, but I'm not sure...
    Anyone know?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Who Needs the Peace Corps?

While I identify more with the hippie ethos than I did when I first heard this album 20 years ago, I still love how he calls the hippies out and really makes fun of them. As other parts of this album show, Frank didn't pull punches for ANYONE. Sure, he's a really cynical dude overall, but I appreciate hearing him call everyone out. First up, the dirty hippies. I'm sure it also comes from his LA background and the rivalry of LA vs. SF. The mix is really enjoyable on this song, good separation of sounds. I like how the drums are a bit loud in the mix. Good melodies on this song and there are a lot of them here. Love his ending monologue. This is such a great song.

Concentration Moon

Another abrupt turn for this album. I love Frank doing that. This song is really unsettling. The happy-go-lucky music isn't fooling anyone. It's a really dark song and a scary thought of putting hippies (or anyone) into a concentration camp. "Cop kill a creep...pow pow pow" - who's the actual creep here? Here we are, the very next song after skewering the hippies, and Frank's saying "however...look what the cops are doing, look what Gov. Reagan is doing...". This is a brilliant song, one of the most underrated ones in the catalog.

Mom & Dad

As with Trouble Every Day, it's rare and startling when we get just brute honesty from Frank. There's no weirdness or silliness to hide behind, it's right there out in the open. 2 in a row, ultra serious song. I love how in these three songs he's gone from "the hippies are silly dorks" to "the cops/government are a problem" to "hey, parents, wake up, pay attention and show some sympathy!". This song is really one that got to me when I first heard it. Just a really bare emotional song. Of course, since it's Frank, the melody on this song is gorgeous. He's a stellar songwriter. Really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Telephone Conversation

Short little link, grout. I'm glad it's here, but it really needs to be heard in the context of the album. Gives me the feeling of someone (the gubmint) creeping around Laurel Canyon. Intentional CC from Plastic People? Maybe it just works that way?

Bow Tie Daddy

It's an echo from Mom & Dad, he basically drinks all day and doesn't care about his kids...and he probably doesn't notice that someone's creeping around the house. I love how Frank can say everything about this guy in 34 seconds and it's the perfect length. The old timey quality is a perfect production/arrangement choice.

Harry, You're a Beast

I never really considered that little piano interlude part of the song proper, it's just another link. I love how this first side is set up and especially the transition from Mom & Dad to Harry, You're a Beast. It's almost like you're moving the radio dial back and forth and picking up random broadcasts. I had Stage 1 before Money, so I was used to this melody and it was cool to hear the original with lyrics. The Snorks! That last one cracks me up. I have to point out that the backwards parts are extremely musical. It's not just noise there, it's part of the song and it's actual music. Brilliant. Greatness. The whole OCLT melody is one of my favorite things he ever did. @mark winstanley 's comments made me think that this is a CC link to Any Kind of Pain. Nice call!

What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?

Sped-up doowop, except for the 2nd part which is just really out there. Great elongated melody on that bit. What a strange song. I love it.

Absolutely Free

The piano intro is gorgeous and ties back to the beginning of Bow Tie Daddy. Good golly, this album is expertly constructed. Why not start the vocal section with the definition of a word you're about to use? HAHA, he's incredible. There's really nothing else like this album. I love how he gets really psychedelic on this one, jokingly of course. And of course, the "you can't possibly miss it" FLOWER POWER SUCKS. Then the psychedelic parody keeps going like he didn't just say that. The listing of the reindeer is hilarious. The "unbind your mind" part is a really cool series of up-steps to the discordant reprise of the "lick your stamps" part. Roy's bass note there is perfect. Next comes the chorus and it's wonderful, both genuine and parody at the same time. I love the complexity on this song. It's really all over the place. The ending is fantastic. Damn, what a great song.

23. Zoot Marimba

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

25. Zoot Marimba

Flower Punk:

Hey punk where are you going with that flower in your hair? Another riff on hippiedom, and this song also quotes Needles And Pins by The Searchers, Which was an early sixties Hit.
    The song starts right where the previous track left off, lead by a relentless keyboard and a driving drumbeat, and from the sound of it, both Jimmy and Mundi are on this track, and the dual drummer effect is used to great effect. Lyrically I love the song, dripping with sardonic wit. In the second song the song sounds like it’s scratching and skipping, it’s like what in the f is going on?
    This is another winner for the album, I absolutely love it.
    “Golly do I have a lot of soul”