Frasier discussion thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That seems to be a common sitcom trope. I well remember the episode of Everybody Likes Raymond where he obsessed that someone didn't like him (without giving a reason). And there was a Seinfeld episode where George obsessed about not being liked by Jerry's girlfriend.

2. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

"i remember the first time i drove a moon crane"

gratussi and She is anyway like this.
  3. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Yes.

JERRY: Must everyone like you?
    GEORGE: Yes! Everyone must like me! I must be liked!

And of course Frasier took the bait repeatedly. I recall an early episode in which he took exception to a local newspaper columnist who had proclaimed, "I don't like Frasier Crane." (If Frasier weren't so thin-skinned, his snobbishness might have allowed him to disregard this comment for being "too on the nose.")

Deesky likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I had that episode in mind too.

Another oft used trope is a character's significant other who is frequently talked about, but never seen on camera. On Frasier it was Maris; Vera from Cheers; Bob Sacamano from Seinfeld; Mrs Columbo from Columbo; Binny from Just Shoot Me; and half making the list Wilson from Home Improvement.

5. She is anyway

Are you saying that Kramer's significant other was Bob Sacamano? :)

And then there are those shows that, already well into their run, decide to begin using that trope (Barney Miller comes close with Mrs. Miller, a regular during season one, who, aside from a few scattered sightings, virtually disappears during the remaining seven seasons, but is often referenced), or to stop using it (in All in the Family, we do finally see Cybil Gooley!).

Deesky likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I always enjoyed the comments about Maris and that we never actually saw her made them even more funny because I developed an image of her in my mind that could never have been matched by reality.

I had totally forgotten that Niles married Daphne. I don't remember much about the final seasons.

Trapper J and Deesky like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I know what you mean, though I'm not sure that it's a trope. In those situations the writers don't start out with that in mind when developing a series. Rather it's more likely that the disappearing characters are a result of either not working out, so they get dropped, or they have to move on due to a juicer role being offered elsewhere, or even death, as recently happened with Silicon Valley.

I'm also reminded of Richie Cunningham's older brother who disappeared from the scene early on in Happy Days.

The opposite effect, which is planned (usually when a long running series is getting a little stale) is to introduce new characters as regulars - again Happy Days comes to mind (and many other shows).

She is anyway likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've been re-watching the entire series lately, from start to finish.... currently on Season 6. :)

I had the weirdest Frasier-related coincidence the other day.... I had just gotten home from work and was making myself something to eat, and the entire time I was getting my food ready, I inexplicably had that classic literary joke running through my head about "Euripides & Eumenides"... I had no idea where it came from, it just popped into my head and wouldn't go away. So anyway, I finished putting together my snack and then turned on the TV to pick up where I left off in Season 6.... and not less than a minute into the episode, Frasier makes the same "Euripides & Eumenides" joke that had just been running through my head! What are the chances of that? It was so weird! :p

Trapper J, Benno123, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  9. misko

misko Forum Resident

I'll never forget the belly laugh I had when their father called both of them" a couple of delicate doilies."

10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

There was a fake-out gag well into the series where an incredibly pale, incredibly thin woman was seen apparently waving at Niles from inside the coffee shop, but she gets up and walks past the camera and it turns out Niles is there to meet with someone else (Roz?).

11. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

Watching the earlier episodes again, I was reminded of how good the Niles/Daphne dynamic was... until they actually got together. After that, they seemed to lose the chemistry that worked so brilliantly early on.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think this is a good point in the thread for favorite Maris jokes. Here are a few goodies I found:

- "I'm reminded of Maris's brief flirtation with active wear when I assured her, 'You look fine, darling. Spandex is supposed to blouse!'"

- "Now, what do you think Mrs. Crane would like for dinner?"
    "Oh, you have free reign. Just bear in mind she can't have shellfish... poultry, red meat, saturated fats, nitrates, wheat, starch, sulfites, MSG, or dairy. Did I say nuts?"

- "What's Maris doing wearing jodhpurs? She hasn't taken up horseback riding, has she?"
    "No, no. She wanted to, but unfortunately her little quadriceps are so tight she's incapable of straddling anything larger than a border collie!"

- "What a horrible thing to happen. Can you picture poor Mrs. Crane confined to a jail cell?"
    "Only if they moved the bars closer together."

- "Your wife sounds like a very carefree lady."
    "Oh, yes. She's ounces of fun."

- "We had a set-to on the slopes. She ran. I tried to follow her tracks in the snow, but alas, she made none."

- "I have to admit, I'm kind of curious to meet her. You know, in all these years, I've never actually seen her face?"
    "Well, I haven't seen her most recent one, so this'll be a new experience for both of us."

- "I don't see her; maybe she went back out. Oh, wait, I see her coat on a hat rack."
    "Look closer. Is the hat rack moving?"
    "Oh my God!"

- "Maris had it made after she lost power in a storm. Battery operated, works on a clapper so you can find it in the dark. Only problem was, the poor thing, try as she might, she could never clap hard enough to activate it."

Rocker, The Hud, Ulli and 2 others like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

Interesting that this bubbled back to the top, because I was going through my junk and found a VHS tape where I'd recorded the final episode and the special that was broadcast the same night. This is probably the last time I time-shifted a program!

OldSoul likes this.
  14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Ah, but you left off the best part of that joke!
    After Niles says, "Did I say nuts?" Frasier dryly replies, "Oh, I think that's implied."

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

LOL. That wasn't included at the source I used, unfortunately.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Mal likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

This forum is full of people making up tracklists for albums that don't exist or swapping out band members for other players, though I have to admit that making up 30 seasons of "Roz" is a bit excessive. :eek:

Lost In The Flood, Trapper J and Mal like this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

30 SEASONS? Oy.

19. She is anyway

I wouldn't mind seeing 30 seasons of Bebe.

20. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I've recently started watching old episodes of Fraiser, thanks to Amazon Instant Video, and may be tempted to get the Complete Series on DVD, I like it that much.

But I think this meme sums it up perfectly

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Trapper J, OldSoul and zebop like this.
  21. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Simply put, a brilliant show. I much preferred it to Cheers.

OldSoul likes this.
  22. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I'm Canadian. I'll say this, although I can only speak for myself... As a Canadian I'm used to hearing too many accents to count. But I always thought he spoke with different tones, or fluctuations in his voice, the sorts of things that accompany an accent I mean. But never associated it with England. Now that you mention it though, yes I can see that. And that's usually how it goes, for me at least. I can pick up on an accent, but only pin point it's origin when told so.

Mal likes this.
  23. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

It did look great, agree'd!

How would they turn 4x3 into 16:9 though?

24. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Because this is the "we don't give a crap about the past, or history" generation. Or the "give me give me give me, new and flashy not old and non-new stuff".... What is that? Grain?! I want my movies crisp, sharp, and CGI. None of this artsy camera work crap...

Oh wait, I'm ranting.

25. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Very cool man!

Please explain the rest of that image, specifically the circular things, the abcde slides, and the 1:2.35 / 1:1.85 crops at the edge. And anything else.

I find that fascinating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.