"Frasier" Reboot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 25, 2018.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Niles is only funny when he's miserable and frustrated, but it'd be too mean to kill off Daphne, so I would think that if they bring him back, he'll be divorced. Perhaps Daphne takes everything in a divorce and he's broke and has to move in with Frasier. And then Daphne could probably turn into the unseen Maris character, appearing only in one-sided phone calls. But then again that seems rather mean to Jane Leeves, who probably wouldn't mind being in another network television show even for just a season or two.

Ah, who knows at this point. My personal suspicion is that they will only bring back Frasier from the old series and have an entirely different supporting cast. Anything else just smacks of a retread, and the whole thing about Frasier to begin with (I think) was about how elegantly they took this character from Cheers and gave him a whole new context.

SomeCallMeTim and The Hud like this.
  2. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Whoever they bring back, the writing will be the key. It was so good on the original.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I really need to catch this show on Netflix. Especially since I love Kelsey in Everything else I’ve seen.

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

You mean you don't have this series imprinted on your brain like everyone else who remembers the 90's? :laugh: Well, you're in for a treat. The first few seasons especially are a tour de force.

5. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I remember around the time that the original show ended Grammar speculated that an updated show would have an older Frasier moving in with his now adult son Frederick. I do not know if he was joking or serious, but that could be a possibility.

SomeCallMeTim and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And quite a few episodes that are tour de farce! :) Really great stuff.

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Not sure why people need to basically write the show off before they see it. Is it likely that they will better or even match the original? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean that the show needs to be terrible and not even worth attempting. They just need to make the right choices, and they've got some good building blocks to work with. Some people in this thread have already mentioned some interesting possibilities. And I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that want to see some of these characters again.

I'm curious enough that I'd watch at least the first season.

At the end of the day it's just a sitcom, and a failed revival will not somehow tarnish the original.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Maybe not, but it could do. Take a younger viewer that has never seen the original but has started watching the new version. If the new version is 'on the nose', that person might never consider watching the original (superior) show because they were underwhelmed by what they saw.

And besides, it just smacks of desperation in this era of perpetual reboots and remakes.

9. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

“On the nose” indeed. Almost everything he does smacks of desperation.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It is. And you're not making it any easier.

11. A combination Cheers / Fraser revived show could be great!

12. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Avery's great misread thread titles Pt.2,682:

"Frasier" Robot Being Explored by Kelsey Grammer & CBS TV Studios

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They already had a Cheers reunion on Frasier.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IIRC, he asked on social media what people would think of a reboot/continuation of Frasier and people unanimously said to just leave the great legacy of that terrific show alone.

Maybe he's looking for some quick cash as I'm sure somebody would pony up the dough, betting people would tune in.

Personally, I think it's done and over. It was a magical time for that show which could never be duplicated so why even bother?

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I just hope this renewed interest in the show leads to a nice Blu Ray release for Frasier. The show currently looks like crap on all platforms and formats.

vzok, Deesky, DreadPikathulhu and 3 others like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

People forget context.

For instance, the show worked because of the characters' ages and the times they were in. Frasier was in his late 30s when the show started. He was divorced, getting acclimated to a new city and home life, and dating. Rekindling a relationship with his brother and father. It was also still a time when cell phones didn't ruin almost every possible scenario.

Now, Frasier would be in his *60s*, is either presumably happily married (which would be boring) or his wife would be out of the picture (probably dead to illicit empathy from the audience), and dating at that age considering the long history of the previous show would look pathetic, cheap, and easy.

His brother grew up via a character arc and has a wife and child which create more responsibilities and far less time for wine-tasting or any other rich person time-wasting exercise. He can't just pick up and leave whenever he wants to go an adventure with his brother so I'm guessing he'd have to be divorced with the kids and Daphne being back in England. That'd open the door for possible appearances for Jane Leaves.

Considering the crazy leaps in technology and how much more prevalent it is nowadays, I can't imagine many episode ideas which wouldn't require a big amount of disbelief. And I'm guessing quite a few would involve Frasier being out of touch with technology.

17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I suppose, but that person should be smart enough to realize that they are two different shows and that passing judgement on the first show isn't fair.

When I say the old version can't be tarnished, I mean that it was created and exists on it's own merits. It was started, had a run, and was completed. What they do 20 years later doesn't change what happened in those episodes. If that show is as strong as people say, then it still is, even if the main character is brought back in some failed new show.

18. Strat-Mangler

It's because the show was on STARZ. Nowadays, there'd be a better possibility for success if it were on Netflix or Amazon.

But STARZ,...? Not surprising.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Kelsey played Frasier for twenty straight years, on two shows. Surely that’s enough.

Simon A, milankey and OldSoul like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Three if you count the Wings appearance.

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sounds like a terrible idea and just a money grab to me. The original Frasier was done to perfection--leave it at that.

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

My feeling just my opinion is cbs needs some new badly management..
    Bring in eager younger people who are willing explore new options.
    Recycling old shows is desperation and lacks real creativity.. and many long time viewers
    will go else where.
    Fraiser worked because it was 90's just like Friends & Seinfeld.
    You can't bring back that time or feelings of era once around thats it.
    I miss the 90's but it's gone.

Benno123, OldSoul and Bachtoven like this.
  23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

True, but although the latter seasons are a very mixed bag, there are some worthwhile episodes. "The Doctor is Out" (featuring Patrick Stewart) is a classic.

dkmonroe and OldSoul like this.
  24. dkmonroe

I definitely like the whole thing - I actually first started watching it during the period where Jane Leeves was pregnant and they were dealing with that in the weird way they did. :laugh:

SomeCallMeTim and Peace N. Love like this.
  25. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

You're overthinking it, Fraiser worked because it was 'good'. And it doesn't appear they are recycling anything, the premise and setting will be different...we're just going to be catching him at another point in his life. It may be good or it may be lousy, but I'm curious to see...

And one of the original show's writer/producers is open to it...

By Ken Levine: Will there be a FRASIER reboot?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim, AKA, brownie61 and 2 others like this.