"Frasier" Reboot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 25, 2018.

1. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I assume that Niles, Daphne and Roz would all make guest appearances just like the gang at Cheers would visit Frasier from time to time. They would not be regular cast members. That is my theory. I say give the show a chance. It could be good or bad.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A good idea if it's the only way to get the entire original series in true HD and maybe Blu-ray. Last 2 years already exist.

Maybe Frasier's son could channel the grounded crankiness that John Mahoney brought to the show?

4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

My mom heard on the radio today that a Frasier reboot might not even happen due to John Mahoney's death.

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

That doesn't sound right, Mahoney wouldn't have been part of the plan anyhow as the whole reboot idea is to give Frasier a new setting...

7. MikaelaArsenault

That's what she heard.

8. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

How about a show with Maris, Vera, and Lilith from their perspective?

9. I understood it was the other way around, and that he only softened to the idea of reviving Frasier recently.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Niles would have to be in it.

11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Frasier is one of my favorite sitcoms (along side of Seinfeld, Wings, Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker, and Curb Your Enthusiasm), but I don’t really see how this will be of any kind of success given that David Hyde Pierce won’t be reprising his role as Niles. Also, with John Mahoney sadly out of the picture as well, I just don’t see how it’s going to work. The new characters being introduced would have to be absolutely brilliant from the first episode onwards in order to top anything that Pierce or Mahoney had done. I’m not discounting Jane Leeves or Peri Gilpin, but I think their roles in the show weren't as important as the dynamic between Grammer, Pierce, and Mahoney. Anyway, I approach this whole idea with much trepidation.

scousette, Strat-Mangler and enfield like this.
  12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

13. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Do they need to top the original though? I'd be happy if the show was even just very good.

I agree with @dirwuf that we are simply catching Frasier at another point in his life. If you think about it, fathers pass away. Frasier is 50-something now. So his father being out of the picture is normal. It's also normal that Frasier and Niles may now be living apart and that Frasier has an entirely new life. The characters and writing need to be strong but this goes for any show. This one is only noteworthy because it's Grammar reprising his Frasier character but beyond that the show still needs to work as any other show does. If it does it will succeed, and if it doesn't it will fail, whether the main character is named Frasier Crane or John Smith.

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Like with being a teenager once around. After awhile Frasier, got stupid...
    it suffered for being on too long and endless chase of niles and daphney
    get really trying. I couldn't stand her voice after awhile grating..
    Kelsey has been doing broadway for awhile .

a customer likes this.
  15. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

The show didn’t run on fumes because they got married. Divorcing them wouldn’t magically make the show not running on fumes. You just connect the married years with the later years they’re a part of and the non-married with the earlier episodes. Divorcing them won’t make the show better.

Comparing any new characters to previous characters is just going to set the show up for failure. Frasier’s characters were specifically designed to not live in Cheers’ characters’ shadow and the show was very successful because they weren’t trying to live up to Cheers. It was allowed to be its own show and live up to its own merits. This new show shouldn’t have to live in Frasier’s shadow.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Let's just hope Kelsey Grammer doesn't decide to resurrect the trend of former sitcom stars trading in their laughs for hour-long dramas like Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, and Quincy. Characters like Lou Grant and Trapper John made the leap from comedy to drama too. Will Frasier Crane, Psychiatric Detective be coming soon to a TV near you?

Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. dkmonroe

How about Senator Frasier Crane? That'd be a hoot.

18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I would rather he had a show about Stinky Pete. Bring in all the Round Up gang for lots of shenanigans.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely, that would be perfect. It would move the character on from what he did before, giving the show a fresh premise. It would be age appropriate AND would still allow the character to feel intellectually superior, self important, pompous, etc (but with a moral center), all the usual traits we've come to associate with the character. But he would be an outsider learning the ropes and that could present all kinds of comedic situations. Maybe Niles could be his competition for office in the first season, say.

I like the premise a lot.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Have Frasier move to NYC
    and room-mate with Kramer,
    can't miss!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

A guy as pompous as Frasier could only go into politics! :laugh:

But Niles should not be his competition, he should be some kind of campaign manager. This could be a proper version of the U.K.'s "Yes Minister"! :laugh:

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That would also work, but I wouldn't discard the competition angle. The two brothers have always been extremely competitive in just about everything, as was well documented on Frasier. So I feel it would be in character if they competed for the same office.

Depending on how long the show would stretch out this plotline, they could have them competing in the first season (I'm guessing they'd be much shorter seasons now), but then Niles loses in the primary at the end. He could then come onboard Frasier's team and move forward together.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

True, but this doesn’t stop people, including myself, from comparing it to Frasier and what that particular cast achieved. This new show’s success will depend on a few factors with the main ones being the continuity from the older show and if these new characters will be a good foil to Grammer.

25. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Frasier’s appeal was based on the audience appreciating and enjoying witty banter, based on intelligence. The audience was expected to be open to discussions about classical music, books, art, psychiatry, and other topics which are based on at least some education and appreciation of facts, thinking and intellect.

I wonder if that kind of approach could find any audience today.