Freaks & Geeks coming to BluRay!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

danner, mikeyt and drasil like this.
  2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I bet it's going to be widescreen but NOT due to cropping, but because there was enough image on the original film...

3. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Great news.

Now, if only they'd get My So-Called Life on Blu.

93curr likes this.
  4. Great

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

now we need a reunion movie!

johnny q and guy incognito like this.
  6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Shout! Factory ‏@ShoutFactory
    We're doing Freaks & Geeks on Blu! We have the film to work with and it's happening!"

"prazzers ‏@prazzers_
    @ShoutFactory @JuddApatow What film?"

"Shout! Factory @ShoutFactory
    @prazzers_ @JuddApatow The original film the series was shot on."

guy incognito likes this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This is definitely good news for the fans of the show but remember this is Shout! Factory we're talking about.

The same company that delayed Dog Soldiers when it said it found better source materials which turned out to be two 35mm prints of a movie shot on Super 16.

Ringmaster_D likes this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Awesome news!
    >>>

"The Freaks & Geeks Blu-ray Collector’s Edition from Shout! Factory contains:
    - All 18 episodes in both original aspect ratio (1.33:1) and widescreen (1.78:1)
    - Special features disc, complete with extras from both The Complete Series DVD set (2004) and The Yearbook Edition set (2008)
    - New booklet packed with a letter and Q&A from creators Paul Feig and Judd Apatow, essays, and memorabilia

Highlights from the special features disc:
    Museum of Television & Radio Panel Discussion
    Complete Script for a Never-Shot Episode
    Three Full-Episode Table Reads
    Deleted Scenes
    Original Cast Audition Footage
    Raw Footage
    Mr. Rosso Live in Concert
    Sober Students Improv Players
    Tales of the Secret Service
    NBC Promos and EPK
    Behind the Scenes
    Seven Minutes in Heaven
    Graduation
    Thanks, Goodbye
    "

Source:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12...d-details-revealed-for-the-blu-ray-collection

[​IMG]

supermd, Synthfreek, Reese and 5 others like this.
  9. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm curious if they've been able to retain all the music licensing from the previous DVD set. I seem to recall seeing a few episodes on IFC a while back that used generic replacement music in place of the licensed stuff.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I would be very surprised if it didn't. both of the existing DVD sets contained all the original music--it took four years for the first one to be released because Apatow refused to issue a set without the music entirely intact.

danner likes this.
  11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Dang it! I already bought the ORIGINAL limited year book edition (and my photo is in it) - but I'll end up buying this too.

MikaelaArsenault and mikeyt like this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Rockin' good news.:goodie:

I do kind of wish they'd used the Yearbook packaging for the BluRay, though. It just looks so gorgeous on my shelf. :love:

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I still curse them for reissuing the yearbook as a non-limited edition with everything the same on the inside. That thing wasn't cheap either.

JohnBeas likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So the only new bonus content is in the booklet?

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

And high def transfers!

16. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It is and I'm happy about that.

17. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Not certain about this, but I recall that there were one or two songs that couldn't be cleared on the original set....can anyone verify?

18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

Apatow had originally wanted to use Neil Young's 'only love can break your heart' over the montage that ends 'noshing and moshing' (episode 18)--the aftermath of the Schweibers' party and Daniel going to Kim's house after the punk club. Apatow said he was sure enough the show would never air that he didn't think the license was worth the expense. it didn't air, but when they put together the DVDs, they needed to fill that space, and they didn't have the money for Young. so, they used Dean Martin doing 'you're nobody 'till somebody loves you' for the sequence instead. it's still great, but I think it changes the entire feel of the episode. if you imagine the Neil Young cut, the montage shifts from darkly funny to more plaintive, which is closer to the overall tone of the final episodes.

other than that, though, they wrangled all the licenses. there are something like 120 pop song cues over the entire season.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    amoergosum and dirwuf like this.
  19. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Due to arrive March 22, 2016. Amazon has it here.

johnny q and tomhayes like this.
  20. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Pre-ordered, because if the price drops Amazon will adjust it.

For Physical Items:
    Whenever you pre-order a physical item displaying the “Pre-order Price Guarantee” message on the product detail page, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date.

21. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I haven't cracked open my yearbook DVD set in a while, but I'm pretty sure most of this stuff is new:

Highlights from the special features disc:
    Museum of Television & Radio Panel Discussion
    Complete Script for a Never-Shot Episode
    Three Full-Episode Table Reads
    Deleted Scenes
    Original Cast Audition Footage
    Raw Footage
    Mr. Rosso Live in Concert
    Sober Students Improv Players
    Tales of the Secret Service
    NBC Promos and EPK
    Behind the Scenes
    Seven Minutes in Heaven
    Graduation
    Thanks, Goodbye

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly never remember watching table reads or panel discussions and I thought I had watched everything on the old set.

22. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

Yes, I certainly remember that rip-off. The original yearbook edition was only available online (I think it was $125). They absolutely promised it would never be reissued then a few years later thats exactly what they did. As soon as I heard about them reissuing it I immediately sold my "out of print" yearbook edition on ebay for $200. I still haven't gotten around to re-buying the yearbook reissue although its been available a number of times for under $50. All that being said Freaks and Geeks is one of my favorite shows and I've got the blu-ray on preorder.

23. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I bought one of the "limited edition" yearbooks as well. I subsequently found another copy on the shelf at a Fry's Electronics. This was several years before the yearbook was reissued, so it was definitely the limited edition version, but it was after the yearbook was supposedly sold out. It was priced at $39.99, which had to have been a mistake (I'm guessing it was confused with the regular, non-yearbook version). I bought it, intending to resell it to defer some of the cost of the copy I'd purchased earlier, and wound up selling it on eBay for over $200 to a guy in Australia. He was thrilled to get it, since the website that had offered them when they were still available did not accept international orders.

24. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the "special widescreen" presentation will be? Do they have the means to actually recover new visual information from the film masters, or will this likely just be a re-cropping that reduces visual information from the original 4:3 presentation?

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Best show ever.
    Fine with my DVD set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.