Frequency Response for Maxel XL II 90's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Om, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

I have the opportunity of getting my hands on a Harmon Karden Citation II tube amplifier with it's frequency response exceeding audible range. I would be hooking it up to my Kenwood KX-1030 tape deck. I wanted to get this equipment setup for my newely obtained collection of low generation SBD dead tapes. My question is could the tapes have picked up that high and low of a frequency response to take advantage of the Citation II's large bandwidth?

*Most of the tapes are Maxel XL II 90's & XL II S 90's, a few C90's.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Om

Okay, figured it out. The Citation II has a Max frequency response of 40kHz and a minimum of of 2kHz. These Maxel's can reach at their best a high of 18kHz, not sure on the lows. In that case, the Citation II might be a bit of an overkill due to the limitation of cassette tapes.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Virtually any SS amp will have bandwidth to at least 100kHz. The Citation has exceptionally wide bandwidth for a tube amp. But it is still less than most SS amps.

However the fact is that the bandwidth of an amp is one of the least important things to impact an amp's subjective sound quality. The Citation II is a great amp. Whether you will appreciate its qualities this with your recording of the dead is unknowable. But if you do like it, I can guarantee you that it has almost nothing to do with its bandwidth.

However, if you are after tube sound, the Citation II might not be your best choice as that amp does not sound overly"tubey".

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Most cassette decks would have a flat frequency response to about 18khz at -20db. The exception would be TOTL decks like Nakamichi which could reach 24khz. However most of that is meaning less because most people don't record at such a low level.

5. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I had a Tandberg set up for XL-1S and XL-11S, both having great frequency responses above 20kHz. If I remember correctly (it's more than 25 years ago), the XL-1S had a better frequency response, and weren't the good type 1 better at the low end.

6. Om

I wasn't asking about other tube amps I was asking about the max and min frequency response of those maxel cassette tapes. I'm not the one claiming the large frequency response is important in the tube world, Harmon Karden marketed the large bandwidth of this amp in such a manner claiming it to be a game changer in the world of tube audio. In any case seeing that the Citation II's bandwidth is near double the bandwidth any cassette tape could ever reach, even past the audible range of the human ear, I think we can both agree their marketing campaign was hogwash. Weather I will enjoy the sound of tube amps I have yet to determine, I have a feeling I will seeing I like my music like I like my beer, a little on the warm side.

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

The only potential connection between the two is in the marketing.

jeff

8. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I think it would only be as good as the heads on the tape deck.

quadjoe and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This. And it's Maxell.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Not to deter your upcoming transfer efforts but I've found that nearly all circulating dead sbs ate pretty easy to find from the best sources. I've only come upon a few from my own collection that were better than what's been around. That said, have fun! Also keep in mind the azimuth will probably be off from whatever machine the tapes were originally recorded on. That's one of the big reasons folks try to get their hands on nak dragon.

Om likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Om likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Ok sorry if I misunderstood your question. But then why even bring the question of the citation II's bandwidth into the equation? Whether you view HKs ad campaign as hogwash, and its bandwidth as overkill or not is irrelevant since it will almost certainly have lower bandwidth than whatever SS amp you are currently running.

The HK is a great-sounding amp, regardless of its bandwidth. But somehow I suspect that you'll jump on me for this comment as well.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

and more specifically, the setup. For example, lowering the bias current can extend the high frequency response.

That said, most end users will not be able to do much tweaking without taking the unit apart and knowing what to do.

14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

We do not have to record at -20 dB to obtain a flat response. In practice, a deck with a measured flat freq response to 22K at -20 dB, will produce a flat response for music at a VU level of 0 dB, give or take a few dB. The audio spectrum of music is the typical bell curve, the mids at a reference level of 0dB will contain higher frequency content typically at about -20dB.

If the high frequency content is not above -20dB the result of the recording will be flat.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The problem I see with tape this narrow and heads this small is that the high-frequency response isn't uniform. What you get is a "wavering" with even 15kHz or 18kHz frequencies. With a solid pro 1/4" half-track reel deck at 15ips, it's pretty consistent provided the machine is perfectly aligned. Cassettes... not so much. Not even a Nak Dragon or CR7A or anything can really change the laws of physics.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Om

I did not know what those Maxels were capabable in bandwidth, if it could reach and therefore take advantage of the large bandwidth of the Citation II's or not. However my question was specifically towards the maxel tapes, only wanted to know the max and min response to determine if bandwidth would play a role in sound quality. That because I get this amp with it's larger bandwidth the sound produced will be that much better.

I read some online reviews claiming that the amps precise and accurate sound is partly due to it's large bandwidth eliminating artifacts such as phase shift at higher frequencies.

All the amps I've been interested in getting far exceed the bandwidth of those Maxels. I have since realized that frequency response is not a determining factor when it comes to sound quality. I was already aware of the Citation II's flat but accurate sound presence.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  17. Om

Too bad Sony Elcasets never took off.

Nate likes this.
  18. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Thank goodness.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No cassette machine made can do any response over 16,000 Hertz at any level above -20 VU referenced to 185 nanowebers/meter flux level. o db vu or higher is realistic operating levels referenced to same flux level.

20. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I can't hear 16,000 hertz - my bandwith thus is the limiting factor-

timind and Om like this.
  21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

You really thought cassettes might have more bandwidth than an/any decent amp? Practically every amp made in the last 50 years has more bandwidth and flatter response than a cassette.

22. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Couldn't have said it better myself.:)

jeff

23. Om

My assumption was that because it's an analog format the bandwidth must be larger than a CD. I was wrong.

24. Om

I take it adjusting the azimuth yourself for each new tape (700 tapes) with a voltmeter would be a pain in the neck. :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I'd say for analog formats, practical limits, bring generous

cassette 16khz
    reel to reel tape 30khz
    LP 25khz

theoretically they can all go a higher, but accuracy and noise become issues. Or other things, in the case of LP you can definitely record much higher almost to 50khz but in reality you can't play it back on most equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.