Friday Music to release 'complete' LP version of David Bowie '1. Outside' for Black Friday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grouploner, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ooh, good question. I trust them much more than Friday.

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been happy with the Bowie albums they've done so far. If I wind up buying 1.Outside tomorrow it will be my first Friday Music purchase.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yesssssssss!
    Well.... I saw that they are doing Dylan's "Empire Burlesque", so apprently anything is possible at MOV these days ;);););)

Ben Adams likes this.
  4. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I think concept albums like this are better on CD where the music flows uninterrupted.

omar ravenhurst likes this.
  5. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

Totally. The vinyl fashion (which has peaked) has left the CD outside (oh dear...pun only slightly intended) when there are many fine examples of albums that were designed for CD and really can't possibly work as intended on vinyl.
    I'd mark 1. Outside as an example for sure. Better then to have put out Excerpts as the Black Friday vinyl item.

I wonder if there is or should be a thread on this topic. There was a very definite period '91-'95 where artists were really getting into the 70+ minute environment of CD and, kind, of, making artistic statements with it before CD's length became 'ho hum'. It went on kind of invisibly because only the traditional early adopter artists noticed the length advantage at first.

I'll cite a couple of examples to kick off. Prince's Symbol album is a concept album for CD. I think it probably did come out on vinyl as well but it was good that Prince adopted the format artistically because his addition to the canonical 'double albums' list with Sign of The Times had been followed by several two-record sets which didn't fit with that idea of making a double.

Also, The Fireman's debut Strawberry Oceans Ship Forest came out as double vinyl and CD. The double vinyl seems to be Youth's original concept of a set of discrete mixes for 12" vinyl (as was commissioned by McCartney before they became a duo as such) while the CD captures perfectly why McCartney saw it as a concept album. The continuous nature of CD is more than important here. It actually makes that album work properly as a kind of trance environment.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    elgoodo likes this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

however there are pauses/periods of silence on Outside that appear to determine where vinyl side breaks were scheduled to be.

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Based on what exactly?

8. omar ravenhurst

Sales of record-players more than sales of vinyl. I haven't looked into it but a friend who runs a record shop says it's not going to grow with current upward repricing by record companies because retailers will be the first to get burned on that. The record companies have moved too quickly to capitalise on interest. Unsurprisingly.

9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I stopped buying anything Friday Music puts out when it says "Impeccably mastered by Joe Reagoso" He's not a mastering engineer, he's an ex PR man for Warner Bros. The music is flat & lifeless. You never know who's pressing their vinyl unless it has the RTI sticker on it. The stuff Kevin Gray does is... well.... it's Kevin Gray....
    Now, if Steve did the mastering...... I'd be all over the Friday releases (at least the ones I like)... No Hoffman?..... screw Friday and the digital files they rode in on.

jimhb and Nostaljack like this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And Heathen was pressed by RTI and was a quality disaster anyway. So you can't even trust the damn RTI stickers anymore.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'd rather have "2. Contamination", thanks....

marc with a c and scobb like this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, if your "friend who runs a record shop" says so, it must be true.

Turntable, NaturalD and Ben Adams like this.
  13. omar ravenhurst

I wasn't presenting evidence at an inquisition. Check yoself.

14. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Did this come out? Only saw the Friday Earthling at the shop today.

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yes, bought one myself.

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

And how do they sound?

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Haven't played it yet. Bought a lot of stuff yesterday. Hoping to get this album on the turntable today or tomorrow.

timnor and audiotom like this.
  18. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Great

Can't wait to here your review

I totally missed Outside when it was released and I'm a huge Eno and Bowie fan up till Let's Dance

19. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I didn't see this at any stores I went to, only the Earthling reissue, which I didn't get since I have the MOV version. I have the MOV version of Outside, but I'm tempted on this one since it has the full album. Since it's gonna run $50 after shipping, I'm gonna hold off until some reviews come in on quality. I saw the Hours reissue and the cover looked horrible, very blurry. I didn't pick it up since I'm not that big of a fan of that album.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Here's the thing.

There are only two official vinyl versions of Hours ... the MoV and the Friday. Technically, the MoV is the first UK vinyl release, and the Friday is the first US vinyl release, but they both have that blurry, blown up look.

If you ever want Hours on vinyl (I know you said you're not a huge fan), you might as well pick one of the two while they're in print, because you're not going to find a version with a better cover.

For what it's worth, I have the MoV version and it sounds great, much better than the CD to my ears. More engaging. The album's gone up in my opinion since I got the vinyl.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    e.s. likes this.
  21. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

i preorder lp from amazon.uk and have not dispatched yet. i paid the fastest shipping , and i do not know what s going on . i can't find how to ask question to amazon.uk. there are only prewritten responses. does anyone know how i ask amazon whats going on. my outside is needed tomorrow will be in my hands.
    does anyone know if there's a problem? ebay has 100x better customer service/help.
    i would be grateful if anyone knows how to get to the real amazon customer help, or someone knows if theres a problem with this lp.

although i want to learn how to ask real customer help, i don't need pre-written answer that i don't any help

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Played this last night. Don't know what others' experience is, but my copy was flat, clean, and quiet. I didn't do any sound comparisons, but on first listen, it sounded good.

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You know me, "flat, clean and quiet" are the magic words. If I see a couple of other people also chime in with this, I'll wind up getting it.

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Ah, and this might be of interest: Instead of blowing the pages of the booklet up to LP size, the pages from the CD booklet have been reprinted four per page on the interior of the tri-fold. It works fine, but does seem a bit slapdash on an aesthetic level.

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I know what you mean but it was going on a lot earlier than that if you don't just consider mainstream / pop or rock music.

Co-creator of "1:Outside" Brian Eno released his "Thursday Afternoon"album, on CD-only, in 1985, featuring one 61-minute ambient track. The sleevenotes discussed the possibilities the CD format presented for the actual music rather than discussing the sound quality aspects, and in interviews at the time he correctly predicted the change / freedom the format would soon bring.

Ben Adams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.