Friday The 13th film poll

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Somewhat Damaged, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Part 6 was the best of them. My very general opinion of the films:

Friday The 13th – 1980 [Average]

Friday The 13th Part Two – 1981 [Average]

Friday The 13th Part III – 1982 [Below average]

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter – 1984 [Average]

Friday The 13th: A New Beginning – 1985 [Terrible]

Jason Lives: Friday The 13th Part VI -1986 [Good fun]

Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood -1988 [Below average]

Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan – 1989 [Terrible]

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday – 1993 [Average]

Jason X – 2001 [Good fun]

Freddy vs. Jason -2003 [Beyond terrible]

Friday The 13th -2009 Remake [Below average]

NOTE: About the typo of “the” being capitalised in the titles, I copied and pasted the titles from elsewhere.

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have a soft spot for III because it’s in 3-D and it’s fun to see that way. I found II and one of the later ones (VIII?) to be a bit of a slog to get through. The rest I found to be surprisingly entertaining. They’re generally “lighthearted” for movies about death and mayhem. I guess I give the nod to the first one just for kicking things off.

enro99 likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Went with "2" because I like the skinny-dipping scene! :D

Boomy, clhboa, gitters and 2 others like this.
  4. How many folks here have watched all of these? A handful? I think I watched the first 2 and never had any interest beyond those. I did not vote in the poll.

Gumboo and beercanchicken like this.
  5. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

This should be the poll! "How many have you actually seen?"

clhboa likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

I've seen - and reviewed - all of them. I like 2, 5 and 8 best!

beercanchicken likes this.
  7. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I'll need to try to watch them all this winter or October

8. I had a feeling you would be one of the handful....:agree:

9. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Part 2, because Amy Steel (the lead) is a genuinely good actor. (A rarity in these movies :)).

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

When they were actually coming out in theaters, none. When they were making their debut on premium cable channels, I saw I, II and IV. At some point, I saw III in 3-D at a theater that was doing a midnight 3-D movie series over the summer. I later got III in a field sequential bootleg DVD which I can watch in 3-D on my TV. Then just a couple of years ago, I caught up on the rest of the series via Netflix.

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. Thanks. I'm happy to be proven wrong and discover these films are loved more than I gave them credit for.

Pinknik likes this.
  12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I was too, really. None of the suffers from being a great movie :D, but most of them are fun if you like that sort of thing.*

*For better or worse, I do.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Friday The 13th – 1980

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

2 always seems to get fan love. Man I thought it was dull. Might have to try again some time.

beat_truck likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Yeah - when you run a movie review website, you're probably more likely than others to have seen a lot of movies! :D

Though there are horror franchises I've not watched at all. I've never seen any of the "Saw" flicks, for instance...

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I only ever saw the first one. Saw the first 3 Halloween movies, but none after. Only the first Hellraiser, Child's Play and Phantasm. Some of these franchises just go on and on.

17. Oatsdad

Yeah - a lot of them! Horror movies are usually cheap and profitable, so studios milk 'em forever!

I've watched all the "13th" and "Elm Street" movies because I reviewed big old boxed sets for my site.

I did see many of both franchises when they came out, though. I think I saw all of the "Elm Street" flicks "in real time" but probably bailed on the "13th" franchise by the end of the 80s...

Pinknik likes this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've seen everything but Jason X and Freddy Vs. Jason. Most of them multiple times. I really like everything through part V, and the enjoyed the attempted re-boot in 2009.

Having to pick just one favorite, I'll go with part II. And any fan who hasn't seen the Crystal Lake Memories documentary should - its' fantastic!

19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I have seen every film in the franchise, voted for Friday the 13th Part II. Parts I-IV are decent overall and that's where I end things in the series.

yesstiles likes this.
  20. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I've seen them all as well, and would agree I-IV are the high points. I get the love for VI, it's got the winking, self-referential style and a sense of humor, but at that point the series went pretty campy and wouldn't return.

I could also see just recommending Parts II, III and IV as the "Jason Trilogy"...and it's funny how these three movies are supposed to take place on three consecutive days. (Even though Jason like doubles in size between parts II and III.)

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Pts. 1 and 2 were the best. Part 1 had Kevin Bacon ffs! I give it to Pt.2 because of the inventive killings and for the fact it recaps some of the first film. I do wish the killings weren't cut off so quickly. Apparently there was some pressure on the studio to pull back on the gore.

22. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I love these movies and play all of them around this time of year. I like Jason as a monster, very zen.. I root for him most of the time! Anyway, I get them mixed up in my head, even after re-watching all these years. I think I like II and III the best, but I enjoy the first run up to and NOT including Jason Takes Manhatton A Cruise. At that point I stop paying attention and just enjoy the campiness, no pun intended.

23. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I like Part 2 the best-good atmosphere and a scary opening.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've seen all of them at one time or another. I think I will pick Part 2. It's the most creepy. I saw it at the drive-in when it came out, and parts of it still give me the creeps.

[​IMG]

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My brother and I used to marathon all these films on Friday the 13th.

New Beginning, Jason Takes Vancou...I mean, Manhattan and Jason X are definitely the low points of the franchise. Part II, the original and New Blood (even though it's obvious the MPAA took their pound of flesh) the high points though I like Part III for all those cheesy 3D shots (especially the eyeball gag).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.