Friedkin's SORCERER coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in April

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ben Adams, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

jupiterboy and Paul J like this.
  2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

How does it compare to "Wages of Fear", the movie it was based off of?

3. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Heard about this a few months ago,glad to see a date finally,Can't understand the hate for this movie ,one of my favorites.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

And a great Tangerine Dream score

head_unit and amonjamesduul like this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've seen them both and think Sorcerer is much better, certainly one of Friedkin's best.. I'm still baffled why it wasn't a big hit commercially and with critics, though the title probably didn't help.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

They are both excellent films and are deserving of being considered on their own merits.

I haven't seen Sorcerer since the mid-80s on a pan & scan VHS copy, I'm REALLY looking forward to watching it again as it was intended.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's good news. This is a tough movie to watch -- really, really tense and scary -- but it's a good film that deserved more success.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. About bloody time! Correct aspect ratio would be a big plus as well! A pity that Roy Scheider's not around any longer to contribute some thoughts in a commentary track on the film. Friedkin was supposedly a monster during the shoot but it also WAS a difficult shoot in the middle of nowhere.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

are there added scenes?

10. sfsloop

sfsloop Member

Great news, a definite buy!

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A must have!

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Orig is better. Remake better score and no slouch potato in the grunt spinning wheel drama either.

13. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've been passing around my DVD at work. This is a stunning film. Best news of 2014 yet.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This will be a "must-buy" for me. Awesome movie :cool:

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I remember seeing a bit of this movie many many years ago as a small kid. Never seen it since so hopefully it will appear in a Netflix queue in due course.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'll have to watch my DVD today....great film. I actually saw it in a mostly empty theatre back in the day.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Small kids and old ladies are adverse to B&W. The original is still the best if buck nudity doesn't spoil yer viewing that is. :)

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw the movie at Flushing NY's famous historic RKO Keith's Theater back when it came out. Stunning movie, stunning place to see a movie. The movie still sticks with me long after 1977.
    I have the DVD.

19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Thanks for the headsup. Looking forward to this one.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I actually kind-of like the new poster for SORCERER. The oil-fire explosion with the image of Roy Scheider's face is rather compelling. Yes, I like the iconic truck image too, but this will do. I'm just happy to have the film restored and proper aspect ratio.

[​IMG]

Harry

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never heard of it...

Will have to check it out.

24. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I have this on pre order, one of my favorite films, looking forward to finally watching it in widescreen.

Next on my BR wish list ''Hell In The Pacific''.

Roninblues likes this.
  25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It was the victim of poor PR and bad timing. SORCERER was released as the next Friedkin film after the mega-hit THE EXORCIST, and movie posters just didn't give much of a clue as to what SORCERER was about. Given its title, it's understandable that the public might conclude that it was another foray into the supernatural, so when early-goers were confronted with the actual film, they were disappointed and gave poor word of mouth.

Much of the opening minutes of the film are of disjointed stories that seemingly have nothing to do with each other, and they take place in different parts of the world, and much of it has subtitles. That alone probably sent the unsuspecting public for the exits.

In the intervening years, after cable runs and home video, it's garnered a pretty decent cult following. It's representation on DVD is from a horrible mastering from the LaserDisc days.

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.