Fringe (FOX TV sci-fi/drama)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the main reason this giant paradox exists is because Akiva Goldsman works on the show. :sigh:

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I realize I am an old fart now who does not go out and party hard on Friday nights, but between Fringe and Friday Night Lights my Friday nights are real fine. :righton:

3. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

same here

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So glad to finally be able to read this thread! I JUST this very evening watched the last ep of the season (yeah, I know...I got a full DVR this year...!), so peekin-in doesn't spoil any of it for me. Although at my advanced age, blood pressure is a problem, and that Esquire shoot of Anna Torv didn't do anything positive for that...:love:

So, the showrunners thought they were going to have to quickly wrap-up the series in the last five episodes, yet we learn later that we now get a whole 'nother 4th Season. My question is, just how much of the season-ender was part of the intentional series finale, and what were they able to scratch at the last minute to stretch into Season 4? Seems to me that last-minute exposition scene with the Observers telling us nobody remembers Peter, was an awkward bit. On the other hand, Peter telling both Walters and Olivias that the "steam-valve" for both universes is in that one room, is both an elegant finale-sounding explanation, and fresh plot-thread fodder.

At the very least, I hope next season will see both Olivias cooperating - after all, one has a mother, and the other has a sister and neice, so that should give them something to empathize with the other about.

Besides, I'm holding out hope that Esquire could do another photo layout...with "both". :nyah:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Venus Hum - Soul Sloshing

5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

As someone who just recently finished (as well as avoided this thread)...
    whole-hearted agreement here.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Heck, think of all the 'fun' the two WALTERS can have! In fact.... they should change the title of the show to "The Two Walters": One's a 'burn-out' with a vast knowledge of quantum physics, the other's a millitant 'suit', who's lust for power has made him bitter! Oh, what fun times they'll have! :laugh:

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Man, THAT sounds like a CBS sitcom from the '90s...! :laugh:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Sarah McLachlan - Blackbird

8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Que the Odd Couple Theme!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"My Two Walters!"

"Love Those Walters!"

"Walter & Walter!"

"I'm Walter, He's Walter."

Many sitcom possibilities.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

"I'm the Walter with the mistress and the wardrobe bought this century."

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just got into the show...it's good!

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Thankfully the BR is out soon!:cheers:

13. drukgs

drukgs Forum Resident

cheers indeed. And the blu ray is only 36.99 on amazon right now. Not to mention season four premieres sept. 23!

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

So far, I've Netflixed the first two seasons of Fringe with season three waiting in my queue. This is quite an entertaining show. It has that same quirkiness and humor that made the X-Files such great viewing.

15. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

This past season's Fringe final ep is a fitting & satisfying series finale. The series should end there, imo. Anything more will feel forced, for sure. Whedon managed to do it with Buffy, which could have ended at Season 5, but eaked out two more seasons. But Abrams is no Whedon.

16. Just a note--anyone else notice that J.J. is stealing from his old show "Alias"? The Rimbaldi Device was the obsession for the two agencies during the first couple of seasons of the series much as the "Machine" is the obsession between two warring universes here.

It's certainly not the first time and it works better within the context of "Fringe" (once "Alias" fell down that rabbit hole with more involved and elaborate devices, outrageous plots, etc. it lost me as it didn't work within the context of that series) but it does bother me a bit this recycling of the basic "plot" of that series here.

17. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Yeah. I’ve been saying this since the first season. The show is a combo of “Alias” and “X-Files” and Abrams is clearly borrowing ideas from his fascination with ancient artifacts/mythology as he did in “Alias” and also “Lost.” We also get time travel with its dual universe/alternate time lines (Lost). But I’m fine with that. They’re just ideas to build mystery and interest around.

I’m bothered more by the lack of real depth or resolution to these “objects” or storylines and have just learned to enjoy the ride (see “Lost”) with Abrams.

18. Lonson

Received the third season Blu-Ray yesterday. Interesting. This is the first time I have had a set that had a menu that controlled all the discs. When you take out a disc, the menu stays on the machine. It also has one episode that has links within to video featurettes and pop up talking heads in a separate window. Pretty cool, never saw anything like that before.

19. Yeah...I agree that and some plot holes. I agree though I've just enjoyed the ride---it's a good show that could be a GREAT show.

There's another season set that did this as well (can't remember which one off the top of my head) but it is a cool feature unfortunately I also think that's what is making some Samsung players free up (well, that and issues with BD-Live). Luckily, I retired my Samsung player to DVD's and DVD-A only.

20. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

21. Here be spoilers...

Interesting first season opener hopefully they'll answer all the questions about the quasihuman creatures (which seem to resemble what happened to Olivia's partner in the pilot except for the devices...interesting--suggesting that they are somehow tied into Walternate who was MIA here) and the disappearing reappearing Peter Bishop.

So Baldo decided NOT to eliminate Peter from the timestream paradoxically speaking (pardon the pun).

22. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Way too much face time IMHO for natty-nerd, metro-sexual character Lincoln Lee. He even sent Olivia to go after the bad guy(s) while he attended the wounded! I’d rather see a lot more of Olivia and Walter.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i hope they don't wait too long to find peter. i fear this could be the theme all season and that would not be good in my opinion.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

ME TOO! I'm quite bummed , and don't know if I'll keep watching, if it's going to continue to be an "X-Files".

25. Lonson

It's gone all final season of LOST. They better pull that off with a conclusion the fans are going to like more than most (I'm not included) than they failed to like with LOST!

I"m sort of disappointed, feels like a bad choice to me. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.