Fripp announces King Crimson to return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drasil

drasil Former Resident

this is exactly right. by all accounts, RF has been at odds with the industry since the moment he set foot in it--regardless of anyone's opinions of his beliefs, Robert is an extremely principled and dogmatic guy whose calling happened to place him in an industry known for being capricious and, frankly, unethical. it seems like he was first overwhelmed by these things sometime c. 1974 and it's been a constant back and forth for him since. the recent troubles with universal (selling rights they didn't own to the KC catalogue) are just the craziest and most recent installment of this business.

but don't take my word for it. for those who don't want to go look at pictures of Bill Rieflin nuzzling RF's pet rabbit:

tl;dr: RF had a musical/philosophical idea that presented itself to him as KC, for which there's historical precedent (this is how both 80s and 90s crimso came about). his ability to act on this, though, was bogged down by the intensity of his business disputes, and he was occupied by other projects. however, all of these things seem to be resolving, plus Toyah loves him, and it's financially viable, so let's go!

I am incredibly excited.

Agent57 likes this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This should make people realize that what he says is never final. In '74, the expression used was something along the lines of King Crimson have "ceased to exist." They of course, reappeared in 1981. Then, there was a breakup in 1998 (or thereabouts). Another one occurred in 2004 with a few glimpses since then, including Fripp's informal retirement. The man remained musically active through most the time. So, this should teach us all never to totally count them or him out.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Newsflash (via someone on Progressive Ears who had his address and asked him: Wetton is NOT in the band.

4. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Cool. Nice to see that Collins is aboard. Hopefully that means they will play some of the early-mid 70s material.

6. drasil

drasil Former Resident

so this is the idea in question. I'm interested in seeing how they'll use a vocalist as support rather than front-and-center.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

damn!... I was hoping the 3rd drummer would be Ringo... ;)

8. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Awesome! Can't say I saw that one coming...

9. Say It Right

DGM servers must be overloaded now. Can't access the site from here.

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

3 drummers and it looks like T Lev could be interesting !!!

I'll go with triple duo nice

12. glea

glea Forum Resident

Bill Rieflin, good choice. He's a very nice guy and a great drummer.

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

14. Say It Right

He did an excellent job on The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior with Fripp/Gunn. Better than some of the Projekcts. Still, it's going to be crowded in the back. Pat Mastelloto (just seen him w/ Stickmen over the summer) adds a lot of electronica, and Gavin Harrison is one of top rock drummers in the world at the moment.

Aggie87 likes this.
  15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Rieflin was the best part of "classic" Ministry. His album Birth Of A Giant (with Fripp and Gunn) was better than all the ProjeKcts in my opinion.

Not sure if it matters, but Rieflin also plays guitar and bass.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Excuse my excitement, but I checked Fripp's diary entry from the day before and he was already dropping hints:

Bredonborough.

A sleepless night. When significant decisions are taken, and likely-repercussions reach back and wave – well, I have had sleepless nights of this kind before.

And later:

Into the Cellar for an important call to T Lev. According to Tony, the call made his day, week and year.

tedhead and drasil like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And was part of Fripp's Crafty Guitar orchestra this year.

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I hope they (he) will spare us any undue nostalgia. However, if they'd like to give Larks' I a spin... :cool:

I hope they (he) let(s) the other shoe drop and go strictly instrumental. I guess Levin and Jakszyk can sing some, but either is a full step behind Belew vocally, and three steps lyrically.

I do like the idea of a significant lineup change, but hope it means significantly fresh composition.

Wonder what Ade's thinking about all this...

drasil likes this.
  19. Say It Right

Isn't Birth of a Giant somewhat hard to come by?

20. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Mel Collins. Shall we get the free jazz skronk of Earthbound or the velvet smoothness of A Scarcity of Miracles? I'm dying to hear it.

Agent57 likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Earlier this year when Adrian was planning to tour with Nine Inch Nails, I recall reading a quote where he told Fripp that this would be a good time to reform KC without him. Perhaps Belew leaving NIN changed this, or perhaps not.

22. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I'm very excited. I was getting tired of Belew myself. The new changes meant new styles and singers. I'm totally cool with Jakko taking over on vocals. I wonder what John Wetton was doing there when several of them met not too long ago?

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Good guess!

drasil and Say It Right like this.
  24. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I sort of got off the King Crimson train after Thrak, but I have to say...this is pretty interesting news. Definitely glad to hear that they are rebooting and I will be keeping an eye on this one! Though I think it's too bad Belew isn't involved.

25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

If this isn't the album cover art, they're missing a golden opportunity.

The stuff of nightmares...

friiiiip.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.