From HIT PARADE RECORDS Hard To Find Jukebox Classics, 2 disks 1956-62, 1963-64: 58 stereo tracks..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Bill Buster of Hit Parade Records and I go way back to the early DCC days of "Beach Classics" in 1987. Bill found us the cleanest version of CALIFORNIA SUN back then that I'd ever heard so we gladly used it on our CD.

Bill is excited about these two new discs, just issued, and I got my copies today. Very fun newly created stereo on all tracks, and when a true stereo mix from back in the day comes on either of the disks, I have to stop and think about it. That's a true compliment to Bill and the sound producers Mark Mathews & Walt Weiskopf.

First thing: The sound is NOT brickwalled or slammed/smashed/pinched/squeezed/pounded/overmodulated in any way. Good going, gents.

Now, as a music purist, I usually can't stand any tampering with mono material. Most of us crazy collectors have the mono versions of these songs either on CD or on 45's or LP's so we are covered. That being said, hearing them in stereo is a trip. They did better this time in keeping the echo levels and EQ in check.

Someone else after me will type the 29 songs on each disk but there are some great things on here, very nicely programmed and fun to listen to because (at least at first) we have NO idea what is coming next.

Let me say right off the bat that there are five or so of my old true stereo mixes on here from various projects over the past 35 years and I'm glad they were used. They sound just right now, thanks to some level balancing and good programming sequencing. Also, Bill, if you're reading this, the Dean Martin/Ricky Nelson thing originally came from me so I'm glad it's being put to good use on a single disk.

There are some fun songs, some sad songs, some rockers, some pop, some British Invasion, some Doo-Wop, something for everyone and every one of the 58 songs in stereo, I had to really ponder as to what was what, as I mentioned above.

So this is a fun listen, great party disks, all classic songs, stereo mostly for the first time. It's amazing what they can do these days.

Hit Parade 12320 and Hit Parade 12321. Buy 'em and have a stereo oldies makeout session with your sweetie pie.

2. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

If this is about those previously discussed discs, it would be too bad. There is nothing "true stereo" about them. DES seems to be a new-fangled Duophonic or "electronically rechanneled for stereo" process. Hope I'm wrong.

Pelvis Ressley and rod like this.
  3. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Steve-

Thanks for posting this. I ordered these titles last week and hope they grace my mailbox soon. The DES work I have heard from Bill, Mark and Walt has been, for the most part, wonderful. I suggest those who think this is just a rebranding of duophonic pick up one of these titles and let your ears decide.

Grant likes this.
  4. mono2STEREO

mono2STEREO Forum Resident

Thanks for the kind words Steve! First, here is the track listing for Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1956-62: 29 Amazing Stereo Hits:

[​IMG]

1. Reet Petite (The Finest Girl You Ever Want To Meet) - Jackie Wilson [STEREO DEBUT]*

2. Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]

3. Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis [STEREO DEBUT]*

4. Sea Cruise - Frankie Ford [STEREO DEBUT]*

5. Shout (Parts 1 & 2) - The Isley Brothers

6. Please Please Please - James Brown [STEREO DEBUT]*

7. Silhouettes - The Rays [STEREO DEBUT]*

8. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - The Tune Weavers [STEREO DEBUT]*

9. Let Me In - The Sensations [STEREO DEBUT]*

10. Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) Doris Day [STEREO DEBUT]*

11. Chances Are - Johnny Mathis [NEW 3-TRACK STEREO MIX]

12, It's Just A Matter Of Time - Brook Benton [STEREO DEBUT]*

13. Patricia - Perez Prado [NEW 3-TRACK STEREO MIX]

14. All I Have To Do Is Dream - The Everly Brothers [STEREO DEBUT]*

15. Wake Up Little Susie - The Everly Brothers [STEREO DEBUT]*

16. It Doesn't Matter Anymore - Buddy Holly

17. Hello Mary Lou - Ricky Nelson

18. Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - Elvis Presley [STEREO DEBUT]*

19. Stupid Cupid - Connie Francis [STEREO DEBUT]*

20. Mother-In-Law - Ernie K-Doe [STEREO DEBUT]*

21. I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges [STEREO DEBUT]*

22. Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon [STEREO DEBUT]*

23. Tallahassee Lassie - Freddy Cannon [STEREO DEBUT]*

24. Mashed Potato Time - Dee Dee Sharp [STEREO DEBUT]*

25. The Angels Listened In - The Crests

26. Till Then - The Classics [STEREO DEBUT]*

27. I Love How You Love Me - The Paris Sisters [STEREO DEBUT]*

28. Devoted To You - The Everly Brothers [STEREO DEBUT]*

29. My Rifle, My Pony And Me - Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin [STEREO DEBUT]*

*Digitally Extracted Stereo (DES)
    Audio CD
    Label: Hit Parade #12320
    Sound samples for all tracks and additional information available here: HARD TO FIND JUKEBOX CLASSICS – 1956-62: 29 AMAZING STEREO HITS

And... the track listing for Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1963-64: 29 Amazing Stereo Hits:

[​IMG]

1. Come A Little Bit Closer - Jay & The Americans [STEREO DEBUT]*

2. Only In America - Jay & The Americans [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]

3. I'll Never Find Another You - The Seekers [STEREO DEBUT]*

4. So Much In Love - The Tymes [STEREO DEBUT]*

5. Popsicles And Icicles - The Murmaids [STEREO DEBUT]*

6. I'm Leaving It Up To You - Dale & Grace [STEREO DEBUT]*

7. Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs [STEREO DEBUT]*

8. Daisy Petal Pickin' - Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs [STEREO DEBUT]*

9. My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small [STEREO DEBUT]*

10. Egyptian Shumba - The Tammys [RARE ON CD]

11. Remember (Walking In The Sand) - The Shangri-Las [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]

12. Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand) - Irma Thomas [RARE ON CD]

13. Sally, Go 'Round The Roses - The Jaynetts [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]*

14. Baby, I Love You - The Ronettes [STEREO DEBUT]

15. (The Best Part Of) Breaking Up - The Ronettes [STEREO DEBUT]

16. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - The Animals [STEREO DEBUT]*

17. Tired Of Waiting For You - The Kinks [STEREO DEBUT]*

18. I Go To Pieces - Peter & Gordon

19. Forget Him - Bobby Rydell [STEREO DEBUT]*

20. Downtown - Petula Clark

21. I'll Be There - Gerry & The Pacemakers [US SINGLE STEREO DEBUT]

22. Needles And Pins - The Searchers

23. Love Potion Number Nine - The Searchers

24. I Get Around - The Beach Boys [STEREO DEBUT]

25. Miserlou - Dick Dale & The Del-Tones [STEREO DEBUT]*

26. Donna The Prima Donna - Dion DiMucci

27. The "In" Crowd - Dobie Gray

28. Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas [STEREO SINGLE DEBUT]

29. Dominique - The Singing Nun [STEREO DEBUT]*

*Digitally Extracted Stereo (DES)
    Audio CD
    Label: Hit Parade #12321
    Sound samples for all tracks and additional information available here: HARD TO FIND JUKEBOX CLASSICS – 1963-64: 29 AMAZING STEREO HITS

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks for posting the tracks. That Reet Petite knocked me away, so convincing I had to double check!

And I REALLY appreciate the stereo correct 45 hit version of Heat Wave. Nice long fade for once.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The 60s disc is more to my liking but I'll probably get both. Supposed to be released next week. There was someone on YT a few years ago calling himself Dr.K who made "stereo" recordings of various mono records that were quite good. The account, alas, was purged.

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't seem to find that thread now. It was just a few days ago...

I will be interested because of comments about Devoted to You.

8. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Ordered mine a week ago. On the way to my mailbox. Always a fine product from these folks.

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ooooo - the Seekers. I'm in!

10. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I'm in for both! Thanks Steve for the heads up.

11. Are these available from Amazon or just direct?

12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

I disagree with naysayers here. As mentioned earlier most of us have the original mono on vinyl or CD for most of not all of these tracks. Technology and software advances have made DES a far better thing than it was a few years ago. I really enjoy most of this "new stereo. Never thought I would have stereo Venus In Blue Jeans and Town Without Pity. If you have not heard recent efforts please give it another try. I will now return to the CBS newly colorized 1954 episodes from tonight's I Love Lucy special.

14. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I've dealt with Mark and Bill while ordering various CDs from them. Great guys, and I LOVE the Complete Instrumentals series they put out a few years ago. :agree:

16. mono2STEREO

mono2STEREO Forum Resident

I can safely say that even a casual listener can hear the difference between attempts from many years ago at simulating stereo such as Duophonic, and today's advanced technology of Digitally Extracted Stereo (DES). I would certainly expect that those who consider themselves audiophiles can hear the difference! It is unfair to lump them together since they share nothing in their approaches. I, as much as anyone, loathe Duophonic and other early attempts at simulating stereo. Fortunately, today's advanced digital signal processing makes it possible to process sound in ways that were inconceivable years ago. I again invite those interested in the technology to visit my website, monotoSTEREO.info, where I provide a collection of resources. I provide links to over 1,400 research papers, presentations, etc. in the field on the RESEARCH pages of the website. As you'll see, there has been considerable research and development in the field of sound source separation. Expect to see increasing use of this technology in the coming years for not only recorded music, but also for movies and television.

17. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Walking After Midnight and White Christmas were enough to make a believer out of me!

Some are so good it's scary.

goroke likes this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

“Walking After Midnight” convinced the hell out of me!

goroke and AppleCorp3 like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I listened to the samples on the website and it sounded like they went overboard with the reverb on some of the tracks. I'll still get these CDs for the songs I think they absolutely nailed.

20. Grant

Let me make it clear that these are real stereo. The technology is not the same as what people used to use to make stereo out of mono recordings. Today they can isolate individual elements from mono and create real stereo mixes from them.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's gotta be tricky to get it exactly "wet" enough to match the reverb on the original. I assume that there's baked in reverb on the separated elements anyway?

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

23. Grant

Ahhh...I re-listened to the samples and came to the same conclusion I did on the last thread: some of the new mixes are too wet.

24. Grant

The thing is that the mono mixes are stamped in my head and that's what I compare these new mixes to. The last one I just re-sampled is "Heatwave" and it's still wetter than the hit single.

The British Invasion songs are absolutely fabulous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.