From NAS or Mac to Audio Note DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bandoro, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandoro

Bandoro Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Calling all HiFi genii!

I am hoping to finally achieve and all Audio Note setup to incorporate an AN DAC 2.1x but have hit one stumbling block...

My music collection is either vinyl - handled very easily, or digital from a Mac or NAS server - not so simple it seems! Has anyone had good results connecting to an AN DAC with anything other than a CD transport?

All I can think of is to go from my Squeezebox Touch which has a digital co-ax out. Not exactly HiFi though!

I'd appreciate any thoughts and experiences you may have had.

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

What's wrong with going s/pdif from your Squeezebox to the DAC? That's what I do, and it sounds wonderful. Just use a good s/pdif connector. (I use a Black Cat cable)

3. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

How far is your music collection from the DAC? Are you using WiFi or a direct connection?
    Does the DAC have an USB connection?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Squeezebox Touch via digital coax is really your only easy (and best?) solution. Should be plenty HiFi. You're getting an identical output from the Touch that a CD transport would provide.

IanL likes this.
  5. Bandoro

No USB on the AN DACs so that isn't an option. The NAS would be connected to the Squeezebox via a network cable and everything else by cable, no wireless.

Thanks Ian and Sam, seems like the sensible solution. Good to know you have tried it and it works. I had found various complex, and expensive, ways to go USB to S/PDIF but I think dusting off the Squeezebox is the way to go.

Also seems there has been some development to allow me to stream my HD FLAC files from Qobuz so it looks like a win win!

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Basically with Audio Note DAC's you need to buy a USB to SPDIF converter such as this one http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/235-trends-audio-ud-10-1-usb-audio-converter-review/ or from various other companies - tons out there.

As you know Audio Note generally despises all computer audio playback and their DACs are designed with the intention of being used for CD. So I'd try where possible to get the CD of your favorite music and use computer audio more as background music.

7. Bandoro

Yes, I am aware of their attitude to computer playback, however they do have USB IN on some of their lower-end DACs. For me it's a shame actually, especially these days where HD downloads, FLAC streaming, etc are all gaining greater respect and usage in the 'audiophile' world. If anyone would make a stunningly clean, natural sounding DAC with the necessary inputs to enable (simple) computer audio it would be Audio Note. (Digressing!)

Anyway, ultimately I would also get a CDT for the same DAC. I still have quite an extensive CD collection I'm just focusing on the initial setup with things like CDT waiting for my next spending spree.

8. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

I use a Yellowtec Puc2 Lite from which I go AES to my Audio Note DAC, works perfectly. A cheaper option (with coax) would be a Melodious MX U8 which I als own.

9. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

For me AN's opinion on pc audio seems a bit outdated and hypocrite as computers are involved in the mastering chain of digital audio as well. Furthermore noise issues from a pc can be quite effectively limited with dedicated USB cards and a linear PSU. For what its worth, my audiopc + Puc2 Lite as a transport outperformed a CEC TL-1x easily with respect to soundstage, detail and naturalness of playback .

I'm planning to visit the AN importer in the Netherlands when I have some more free time, I might be able to do some AB-ing with a nice AN transport and report back.

10. Bandoro

Thanks Henley,

Good to hear first-hand experience connection to an AN DAC. Would you say the Yellowtec Puc2 Lite using AES is the better option than the Melodious MX U8 Co-ax?

As for that, sounds great! Please PM me with your feelings and write a post as I am sure I'm not the only one interested in the results.

11. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Wow. I could never do that. I never listen to an actual CD anymore. Removing the transport was the best thing I ever did!

In this case it seems Bandoro can use his Squeezebox Touch in the middle (like a lot of us do with other DACs) and avoid the converter altogether and not have a compromise in sound quality. Of course he will still be stuck with 44/16 on everything.

Bandoro likes this.
  12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

NAS > Chromecast Audio > DAC (via optical). Carries hi-def up to 24/96, with 24/192 probably to come with a firmware update. All for the princely sum of $30

13. Bandoro

Nice idea but no Optical IN on the Audio Note DACs. S/PDIF or AES only as far as I know. Also, I think I'd prefer to go wired rather than wireless. I think my dusty Squeezebox will do the trick... if I can somehow stream Qobuz through it.

14. Bandoro

That won't really bother me. The AN DACs are stunning with 44/16 and make me question the need for anything higher... though I do have some.

I haven't used a CD transport in about a decade now, it would be nice not to have to again if I can help it. As I said, I may do in the future but I'm in no rush.

15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It costs £4,600 and doesn't accept USB? :wtf:

16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

That's sort of how I feel about my Line Magnetic DAC. It caused me to shelf the plan for an SACD player. The LM does handle 192/24 though, so I do get that nice extra boost from my HDTracks downloads.

Tubes in your DAC is where it's at!

17. Bandoro

Ha, ha... I know! It seems mad initially... then you hear them!!!!!

IanL likes this.
  18. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I would say that just as CD drives come in many different qualities and price ranges, so do computers/streamers. So yes, just using any off-the-shelf computer isn't going to bring out the best in an Audio Note DAC (or any other DAC IME). But if you invest some money and effort, I think you can get better playback for less money with computer playback. The CAPS range of servers designed by Chris Connacker at computeraudiophile.com (using SoTM usb cards) is one way to get good sound with computer playback. Buying one of the extreme solutions from Item Audio is another. Getting an Auraliti or one of the Aurender streamers is a third route. The Aurenders span a huge range in terms of price, and from what I've heard, with a corresponding difference in performance.

So to sum up, I don't think one can generalize about computer playback. In fact, I'm surprised to see that some reviewers just use e.g. an ordinary MacbookPro when reviewing DACs. Sure, if most of their readers would like to know what a given DAC sound like with a MBP, then it makes some kind of sense, but not if the aim is to get a sense of how much can be wrested from a given DAC. I know from experience that a MBP is simply inferior to even a moderately purpose-built computer.

19. Bandoro

Having visited the Bristol Show this weekend I saw, and heard, a number of rooms using the Simaudio Moon 180 MiND. It is described as a streamer but in fact it seems to be more of a 'renderer', as there is no DAC, amp or other unnecessary gizmos. All-in-all it sounds very interesting. It would allow me to connect my NAS to my Audio Note DAC via XLR and select my tunes via their app. It seems neat and a potentially perfect solution to my needs.

Here is some more info for anyone interested:

Product page Canada

Product page UK

Review

20. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Generally, and for quite some time, you are correct, RGA, HOWEVER,

At AXPONA next month in Chicago, Audio Note will be introducing a push-pull EL34 integrated with a built-in USB DAC and remote volume control. It's called "Cobra" after the Shelby muscle car.

21. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

It looks good David - I think a lot of people like all in one solutions these days. For a time I was considering a similar kind of thing from Grant Fidelity called the W30GT also based on a car name or engine name (not really a car guy so I forget which). But it was a 40 watt integrated tube amp with a DAC and had the luxury of preout and main ins - which is pretty cool to use it as either a power amp or preamp. It makes upgrading later far less costly and in general integrateds tend to be a little better at one thing over the other.

It was pretty tempting at the time and it was actually designed by Ian not just a Chinese copy. Grant Fidelity W30GT Integrated Amplifier Fully featured and revolutionary…not just evolutionary! Review By Nels Ferre »

22. td19

td19 Forum Resident

I have used my AN2.1x Signature for over three years with my Antipodes media server,with an Audiophilleo2 between them ... been very happy with the combo.

Bandoro likes this.
  23. Bandoro

I heard this at the Bristol Show last week and I was very impressed... Not quite impressed enough to change my mind about getting an OTO Phono SE Signature, but impressed enough to entertain the thought for a few minutes!

24. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I'm sure it will sound amazing. However, I would not buy an integrated with a DAC built-in. I do like the idea of the remote volume control though. Have that on my Line Magnetic and couldn't live without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.