From The Original Master Tapes "For The First Time!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

When will this ever stop? In the latest issue of ICE, it states that the new "Deluxe Edition" reissue of "Who's Next" will present the album "from the original master tapes" for the first time on CD. Later in the magazine, we find the entire Police catalog being remastered "from the original master tapes" for the first time also. Then we see the Jefferson Airplane and AC/DC catalogs being reissued again, only five years after the last "definitive" reissues. This is getting ridiculous!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Just a way to try and make ya buy 'em again. We got Steve's and we need no more. I've enjoyed Steve's (re)mastering style since the early 80's. Lately I've been doing some comparisons with my family and Steve's been the favorite pick 100% of the time! Just today my wife commented....Amazing!:thumbsup:

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree.

4. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Re: Re: From The Original Master Tapes "For The First Time!"

Of course. How many times has the same stuff been reissued in a variety of configurations (remasters, deluxe editions, compilations, box sets, etc)? The labels, particularly Universal have to continue to make money off their catalog, hence the endless parade of reissues.

Look at "What's Going On," which was recently reissued for what must be the fourth or fifth time in the last ten years. Can the difference in sound quality be that much different than the most recent reissue from a couple of years back? Doubtful.

Rule of thumb: If you're happy with what you've got, be it a disc mastered by Steve or whoever, then stick with it. No one's forcing you to buy every new version that comes out.

:eek:

5. Michael

Re: Re: Re: From The Original Master Tapes "For The First Time!"

I have most of the DCC's early stuff. I'm hunting for some missing titles. I enjoy Steve's (re)mastering above the OLD, NEW, NEWER, NEWEST releases. I can listen for hours without ANY ear fatigue...I find that a plus all on it's own...:thumbsup:

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yes, this is getting tired. Amazing how it takes a few decades after the introduction of digital audio to somehow miraculously *find* master tapes major labels should/do have in their possession since the beginning. There are exceptions, of course, but The Who? Come on! Airplane? Ridiculous! Police? O U T R A G E O U S !! They sure had no problems finding the multis of those when they put out that mid-'80s comp(still my fave Police CD, BTW)with the remixes. Now we're to believe they never had the 1st gen stereo mixdowns to work with for the box? They were at ABBEY ROAD all along and couldn't take the time to find that out before now? An attempt to take the public for total suckers. They won't find them here, but then, here is not where they're fooling anybody. This shtick is too much. It would be one thing if the majors had something else to offer--say, a sensible way to remaster or remix the music--but most of the time, they don't. Even Sony/Legacy, better than most, subjects many of its releases to minor NR and Eq adjustments that just aren't necessary. No wonder Steve gets so many raves around here. Even if this weren't his forum, all you have to do is look at the level of his competition. [FYI: Police redos being done by--drum roll--Bob Ludwig].

BTW, Paul, how about these last few notations from The Who piece:

Andy McKaie:

"You're not only getting new material, but the original material sounding even better. The technology of making reissues - remixing, cleaning up, and everything else - has improved so drastically in the past six or seven years that we have a better product now than back then." ...

At the end of the article: "This will most likely be the final Who Deluxe Edition set..."

Well, we can only hope....

And then threatening us with 'a single-disc version of THE WHO SINGS MY GENERATION' and of course the SACD coming next month.

Well, McKaie--whom I did correspond with a few times back in the '80s--has his opinions on sound quality, we have ours. I'm with us. If MY GENERATION is anybody's idea of sonic improvement, we're doomed...and while Steve is right, that basically we should wait and listen before making any premature judgments or comments about WHO'S NEXT, the track record is a very dire one, and there's no reason to expect better this time out.

ED:cool:

7. BradOlson

I am sticking with whatever version I have in my collection.

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

If we all resist the Pavlovian impulse to whip out the plastic when we hear the magic words "dramatically improved quality," Mr. McKaie and company will stop the endless "master tape discoveries" and "upgrades."
    As for Who's Next, my $7.00 Canadian import CD will do me fine.
    Just say no!

9. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Today in a record store I saw a bootleg called "The Collector's Who's Next," or some such title, claiming to be direct from "the original German master tape" -- "the only stereo master tapes in existence" of that album.

Brazen, and incomprehensible; two great tastes that taste great together.

10. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I think I'm getting sick...

Let's face it, for most of the major artists, I think we already have the definitive versions in our collection. There's no need to fall for this crap.

11. BradOlson

I don't fall for this crap at all. If I want bonus material, I can just do a library request and burn some CD-Rs of the bonus material.

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Well people, of course what we're seeing is nothing new. As you know CD sales have been sucking the big one for a couple of years now. With only a small handful of new releases doing big numbers, what do labels have to bolster their bottom line? Drum roll, please...CATALOG!!!!! What better way to generate income but to have you buy your favorite album by your favorite artist(s) yet again! I'm not totally against this but when you've seen how many classic albums have been handled it should be a crime. If record labels realized that if reissues were properly mastered and packaged in the first place, that they might, just might, continue to sell well infinitely? Just a thought. Any comments?

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe we should have the FTC look into the matter of false advertizing. I thought about this the other day, too! I'm serious!

14. Michael

I agree...:thumbsup:

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I would love to see that.

Someone tell Hillary Rosen at the RIAA that if they can sue a 17 year old high school student for downloading some music, WE can sue the record companies for false advertising.

Oh, would I LOVE to see this go to court!!!

16. BradOlson

In fact, I did just that for the bonus material on Hank's "I Saw The Light" remastered CD, checked it out at the library through ILL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.