Front-ported bookshelf speakers - the shootout

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CaptVanTylp, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptVanTylp

CaptVanTylp Member Thread Starter

Hi! I know there are not many front ported speakers on the market, but I'm interested particularly in these. Partly out of mere curiosity - what are the impressions comparing speakers like jmr bliss jubile/silver with vienna acoustics haydn grand se and triangle esprit comete ez? More or less not too far from one another price-wise. And what would work better with a rega brio? For vinyl

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I own Focal Aria 906 and like them, they replaced Kef r300 and can be placed very close the wall with the front-firing flow.

However they are not in your list, but when I compared them with the Triangle before purchasing they were better all over and particularly on human voices and bass.

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I do too, and I do too.

Was going to suggest it! :righton:

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I owned the Bliss Silvers until recently. As is common with French speakers, they can bee a little hot in the highs, but that will largely depend on the partnering gear. The Brio is known for a laid-back presentation so could make for a good match. Despite the enthusiastic highs, JMRs do not sound very similar to Focals, they're more akin to Harbeths which are the brightest-toned descendents of the BBC school.

The Viennas will almost certainly have a warmer sound, all else being equal.

I don't have experience with Triangle speakers but I imagine they're similar to the JMRs. Both companies tend to use waveguides or short horns for their tweeters. The Bliss Silvers likely reach deeper in the bass due to their transmission-line port. The following link is for a dealer who sells JMRs and I'm fairly certain he used to also sell Triangle. Might be worth getting his opinion but I'd take anything he claims with a grain of salt, as I've found I disagree with his some of his reviews and comparisons published under various audio sites/blogs.

Amherst Audio | The Sound of Music

5. CaptVanTylp

Thanks! So let's add the Aris to the mix, how could I forget them! So Aria wins over comete at least? Also which of the four has more "listening spot" or I mean that it doesn't ruin the presentation much if I move myself to the left or right of the listening spot? I heard Jubiles have this trait, how about the ohers?

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I use Paradigm front ported two ways. You won't find a better sounding better priced way to go.
    I take it you want front ported because your using them close to a wall ?

Christopher Sims likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Problems with the Shift key? :)

bever70 likes this.
  8. CaptVanTylp

Well, not super close to the walls, no, but closer than usual. Also my room has two windows. My rack is positioned so that a back firing speaker on the right channel would fire straight into the glass as all the ports are usually in the upper part... And I can't move the rack because one of the other walls is shorter and also has a window and two others are occupied by bookcases(I don't have space for stands either, but the rack is super long so the distance its ok

head_unit likes this.
  9. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

Choice of front or rear firing ports is purely a cosmetic choice. I've built both types and they work equally well. I prefer rear ported due to curious kitties. My large stereo bass tubes are top ported bottom firing. Low passed 24db/oct at 42hz. Pretty much flat response down to 18 hz.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

NSMT PSM (I have an older design, less efficient, different drivers, kinda big for bookshelf, but definitely stand mounters.)

11. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

I currently have Aerial 5T's that are front ported. Great sounding speaker w/no listening fatigue.

zonto likes this.
  12. CaptVanTylp

Thanks! For now I think I'll look into the Aria even deeper, but they have been around for a while... When do you think they could be upgraded? I want to buy them this spring

13. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

As to the Aria line of speakers. I own the 948's. In a candid conversation with a Focal person; they said to me that the Aria were a success in that they allowed the proof of the automated flax material driver process as a winner. They found however that the line was cutting into the sales of the more expensive products. Too good of a value perhaps? And that it would be phased out. Focal has developed models in an attempt to have buyers get into the "standard" line at lower price points. Updates in audio gear are mostly evolutionary (like a new circuit or speaker driver). When a company makes a good product it is a good one regardless of age. Look at all the fondness and audio love given to some vintage items. A fine sounding speaker remains just that no matter if it is tweaked to keep a fresh face in the market or not. I suggest you put aside the need for the latest or greatest version and listen to as many choices as you can put up with doing. I have always ignored statements like "all French speakers are bright" or "any speaker with a metal cone will sound harsh" and "speakers with fabric cones are always smoother". Many comments in forums are made by people who never hear the item play and are passing on "conventional wisdom". Trust your ears and go listen. Make up your own mind. It is my opinion having auditioned the 906's that they are a very good value and one of the best in their class and price point.

14. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I bought mine used (but minty) about six months ago for about $725. (Figure there was little risk at that price.)

They still sound good. :righton:

15. CaptVanTylp

Sorry, English is not my native, I meant like the range upgraded, I mean anyway they do sound good I believe and they are cheaper than used to, but just thoughts, if for example during Munich this spring they unveil the successor would have been nice too

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I don't believe this to be factual.

BeauZooka likes this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

There's some of both I think. Ports can allow some midrange to escape out the port, which can be more audible if front-firing. Rear ports do limit how close to a wall you can get. This issue is overblown, most bookshelf ports and small and don't need THAT much space, especially if the speakers are toed in, but SOME space is needed.

The FRiNgE, Helom and Shawn like this.
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is there a distinction between "bookshelf" and reference hi end stand mounted? If my speakers, which better not be relegated to a literal bookshelf, are exempt from this, then I can retract my point. I can guarantee that no DIYer is building hi end stand mounts in their basement.

19. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

I don't have the Brio, but my Paradigm studio 20's sound excellent 2-3 inches from the wall in a mid field set up. Both Tube and class D amps.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

If you can get JMR Bliss Silvers or their successors, as indicated in your first post, you'll end up with much better speakers of heirloom quality. Aria is not in the same league, not in sound or build quality. The JMRs have hand-wired crossovers of top quality components. Their midwoofers are as good as money can buy and the midrange on par with some if the best British monitors. Bliss Silvers were $3300 when last sold stateside and are competitive with some $5K bookshelves IME. They won't pressurize a large room to the satisfaction of everyone but they can play loud and remain very composed. The only reason one might want a more expensive speaker is if they need something larger that plays with greater scale - that's not really a matter of quality but a simple matter of physics.

21. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

Any decent ported cabinet will always have damping material on at least two interior walls. This will absorb any unwanted frequencies or ringing. Alternatives would be a sealed back midrange, cup mounted midrange or a separate internal midrange enclosure to isolate it and adjust the qtc of your midrange driver. I'd be more concerned about the bass pounding the back of the midrange driver and modulating your midrange frequencies than the midrange leaking out the port. My large 6 cu. ft. WMTMW D'Appolitos use separate internal enclosures for each mid range driver to eliminate any interaction.

22. CaptVanTylp

Thanks! I know they are much more expensive, and harder to get (for me what I researched the closest city would be Berlin where they have them), but also there is the issue of no stands...will they lose too much without the stands? like, which potential would be ruined less? Also, they are a bit tighter then arias, right? Won't be a problem for the brio?

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

They're certainly easier to drive than Arias, at least the Bliss Silvers are, I'm not sure about Jubilees.

I'm not entirely sure how the Magic Stands affect their sound as I didn't have them. I used my Silvers with 24" Target stands, which are of fairly typical steel design with fillable posts. Mine were filled with kitty litter. From what I understand, the Magic Stands function as a Helmholtz resonator and extend the bass into the upper 30s. I've only once seen a pair for sale in the States. Regardless, you can get great performance from them with any decent stands. I've also used my old Advents as makeshift stands with good results.

24. CaptVanTylp

The truth is that I won't be placing them on any stands at all...just on a long floor-standing rack (my room shape and the locations of those windows don't allow for stands...)

25. CaptVanTylp

Also, while I haven't listened yet, will the Haydns be much better than the Arias? They are as easy to get for me as the focals (jmr is the hardest of all to get)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.