Frustrated!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

Hello everyone, a long time lurker has now come into the light.
    I have enjoyed this forum for many months now. I used to post in BSN but got tired of all the flaming and bad mouthing that took place there, so haven't posted there for over a year.

I decided to enter the realm of SACD about a month ago, based on some of the comments from this forum. I bought the single disc equivalent of the Sony 775 here in Canada, the SCD-XE670. It has everything that the 775 has, except it being a single disc changer. I thought it was a great baby step into the world of SACD, at least until we see that the format is here for awhile, (I had a Beta once).;)

Getting on to this thread about the Stones releases. I live in London, Ontario, just about the worst place on the planet to find any music other than "Boy Bands and Bellybuttons". The Stones releases are nowhere to be found up here, in fact most of the stores don't know what you mean by SACD. Faced with a choice of ordering online or going to the US, I opted for a road trip to Michigan today. I did my homework by calling different Borders stores in the Detroit area, and found that the one in Novi,MI had four of the discs I was looking for..HR,MHR, ENHM,12x5. I picked Borders over Best Buy, and some of the others, because I had a coupon from a hotel chain magazine that gave me 20% off my total purchase. The two hot rocks were going for $31.99 - 20%, and the single discs for $16.99 - 20%.
    The big surprise when I got there was the other discs were all there as well, so I also picked up the Singles Collection and Now. Needless to say, I was one happy camper coming back across the border. All the packaging was in one piece too, no discs floating in broken plastic!

I'm just now putting the first Hot Rocks disc in the player, and I am impressed with the sound of the SACD layer, at least compared to my old Hot Rocks cd. I do here the difference in Ruby Tuesday, and the different stereo mix of Satisfaction. However, to these amateur ears, the new discs are a definite improvement, all be it with a few warts. I may just go back next week for a few more.

BTW, I did stop at one of the Best Buys just to check prices. With my discount I did do better at Borders, and the Best Buy did not have four of the five discs I wanted. The store I was in had also filed the new discs in the regular cd section for the Stones, not over in the Multi-Channel area where they kept the rest of the SACD's. No salesperson in the place had a clue about the discs, I had to find them myself.

Anyway, happy hunting everyone, and I hope you all get as much enjoyment out of these discs as I am getting!!

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Welcome, PapaJay.

This is slightly better than that other BB you mentioned.:D

Mud- (new himself)

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I did, but my luck didn't carry that far.

4. PapaJay

PapaJay New Member

Welcome, PapaJay.

This is slightly better than that other BB you mentioned.

Mud- (new himself)

Thanks Mud, this is always the first forum I read when I turn the PC on. I have learned more from Steve and the folks here than I ever did over at the other one. I do think BSN has improved though, since Mike C took over editing the posts.

Cheers,

PJ

PS: Sure looking forward to Steve's new CCR, Zombies, and Everly Bros SACD's. I've already told my wife that those are the discs I want for Christmas!

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Still no Stones!!!

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

6. musicfan37

Five of the six discs showed up. Yea!!!

7. musicfan37

Waiting for that sixth disc.

The sixth disc shipped two days after the five and it's not here!:confused: You think I'd be happy with getting five of them, but no. I WANT THEM ALL!!!:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.