Full List of Motown "Compact Command Performances" CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I like to collect these titles and would be curious to see if we have or can compile a full list of them. Before I post the ones I have, I figured I'd ask if someone's already done this.

If so, let's see it! If not, let's start a list!

2. Oatsdad

3. Oatsdad

2.5 hours and no replies - I guess KeithH is at work! :D

4. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I have The Four Tops and The Supremes outline drawing. I can't comment on the others, but I'm very happy with mine.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Busy week. Traveling. I am checking in periodically on my phone today.

Suffice it to say, there are 647 such titles, all pressed in Japan by CBS/Sony.

:D

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I definitely remember the outline titles coming out first. I had Marvin Gaye, Smokey/Miracles, and the Supremes for sure.

7. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

I believe these are what you refer to as first wave, all were made in Japan. From what I can remember these were the first Motown/ Tamla/ Gordy CDs issued.
    The Commodores Compact Command Performances Motown MCD 06068MD
    Diana Ross & The Supremes Compact Command Performances Motown MCD 06072MD
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Compact Command Performances Tamla TCD 06071TD
    The Temptations Compact Command Performances ZD 72365

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you're collecting '80s Motown CD issues, don't forget the CD3 series:

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Japan's Manufactured for the US market by Sony CSR? Japan Manufactured for US market by Sanyo? Or complete list including "stock" US discs - in effect a master list of all "Compact Command Performances". The latter is what I'd expect given the title, but your thread titled "List of Early CBS CDs" had some defined parameters so want to see if that is the case here

10. Oatsdad

Not being as specific here - sorry I scarred you with my absolutes in the other thread! :D

As long as the CDs are from Motown and called "Compact Command Performances", I'm interested in building a list.

It'd be good to have an annotated list that discusses cover differences - "outline art" vs. "full art" - as well as available pressings and whatever else. The bold part above is the only strong criteria here, though!

11. Oatsdad

I'm most interested in J-for-US Motown CDs, and I'm especially interested in the "CCP" line. I never see 3-inchers in the bins!

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes me too! I have many of those 80's CDs...IIRC, there is a series called "Package of Hits? fabulous stereo!

14. Michael

15. Michael

and you have them all, right?

16. Oatsdad

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Diana Ross & The Supremes Compact Command Performances Motown MCD 06072MD is Diana Ross solo. I only know as I very recently found the Japan for US Sony/Japan 3xCSR. There is a a Supremes as well but not sure of the cat #

18. Oatsdad

The Supremes CD is MCD06073MD. I have the Japan CSRX3 pressing of it but not the Diana Ross solo one - I don't think. They have nearly identical covers! :)

19. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I can't find my Supremes, so my sister must have it.

Al Green "outline" version - 6111MD Digitally compiled by John Matousek. The paper says "Made in USA" the disc says "Printed in the USA"!

The Four Tops "outline version" - MDM9042 or 9042MD depending on where you look. Album compiled by John Matousek. Made in USA.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've got the Mary Wells one. It's the best Wells compilation by far.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I have 6 CDs in this series:

Grover Washington Jr. "Full Art"--MCD09045MD--Compiled and Mastered by John Matousek--Disc Made in U.S.A.

Diana Ross & The Supremes "Outline"--MCD06073MD--Album Compiled by John Matousek--Disc Manufactured By Sanyo Japan--Matrix MCD06073MD 512030

Marvin Gaye "Outline"--TCD06069TD--Album Compiled by John Matousek--Disc Made in U.S.A. [BMG Club Edition]

The Temptations "Outline"--GCD06125GD--Compiled and Mastered by John Matousek--Disc Made in U.S.A. [BMG Club Edition]

The Commodores "Outline"--MCD09039MD--Album Compiled by John Matousek--Disc Made in U.S.A. but says Manufactured By Sanyo--Matrix MCD06068MD C7A08C

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "Outline"--MCD09041MD--Album Compiled by John Matousek--Disc Made in U.S.A.

22. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

24. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

Let me know if you when you want to start collecting these, I might be able to help locate some. Did you ever get a compete list?

Also, I wonder how these compare to the Motown Compact Classics and The Composer Series?

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Here is another one:

[​IMG]

snowman872 and rxcory like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.