Full List of Motown "Compact Command Performances" CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I have Compact Command Performances "Marvin Gaye, Volume 2: 20 Greatest Hits" TCD06201TD (more fleshed-out artwork)

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I'm already collecting them - send me all you have NOW!!! :D

I don't think we generated a complete list - the thread kinda sputtered pretty quickly...

3. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

So, was the art for this series based around the Temptations album Back to Basics?:

[​IMG]

4. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

I found a Grover Washington Jr. - At His Best - disc - Made in Japan at a local shop for $5. If you want me to pick it up I can. I know they had other ones, I actually took a picture of the disc with my phone since I wasn't sure it was rare or not when I was there this past weekend. I found this thread after searching about the series. The other disc is made in Japan also (looks just like this listing on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/At-His-Best...351114209462?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item51c009a8b6.

Of course, they had their monthly buy 2 get one free sale this past weekend. I am quite sure they have others also, if I look. Are you primarily looking for just ones made in Japan?

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  5. A few months ago, I had difficulty finding such a list online, so I hunted down as many as I could. I'd intended to scan in all the artwork and post everything here on the forum, but this list will work just fine instead.

Mastered by John Matousek, outline artwork:
    Commodores - 14 Greatest Hits - 1983 - Motown 530 096-2
    Marvin Gaye - 15 Greatest Hits - 1983 - Tamla 6069
    Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5 - 18 Greatest Hits - 1983 - Motown 6070
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 18 Greatest Hits - 1983 - Tamla 6071
    Diana Ross & The Supremes - 20 Greatest Hits - 1983 - Motown 6073
    Four Tops - 19 Greatest Hits - 1984 - Motown 6106
    Gladys Knight & The Pips - 17 Greatest Hits - 1984 - Motown 9044
    Al Green - 14 Greatest Hits - 1984 - Motown 6111 (green-colored spine and back cover)
    Temptations - 17 Greatest Hits - 1985 - Gordy 6125

Mastered by John Matousek, cartoon artwork:
    Grover Washington Jr. - At His Best - 1985 - Motown 72366 (photo artwork, not a cartoon)
    Marvelettes - 23 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Tamla 9056
    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - 24 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Gordy 9057
    Mary Wells - 22 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Motown 6171
    Teena Marie - 14 Greatest Hits - year unclear - Motown 72527
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Vol. 2 - 22 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Tamla 6202 (mastered by Bob Robitaille & Russ Terrana)
    Jr. Walker & The All Stars - 19 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Motown 6203 (mastered by Bob Robitaille & Russ Terrana)

Weird rerecordings, not the hit versions, cartoon artwork:
    Little Richard - 15 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Motown 6208 (mastered by Ken Perry)
    Duane Eddy - 21 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Motown 6218 (mastered by John Matousek)
    Jimmy Reed - 18 Greatest Hits - 1986 - Motown 9065 (mastered by Ken Perry)

Generalizing, these discs have a lot of stereo, little or no mono.
    As a result, there are mono Motown collections out there that sound WAY better, simply because the mixes are so much better. FYI, here's the Motown-in-mono thread - http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5051

6. Oatsdad

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Diana Ross [solo] Compact Command Performances Motown MCD 6072MD is missing from the 1st section.

8. True - I don't have that one yet.

9. Experimenting with embedding images...

This is the Commodores release, listed on the BSN discography as Motown 6068, released February 1984. I have two copies of this, one pink, one black, and both have identical artwork. This is what we're calling the outline artwork. The forum only allows 5 images per post, so I left out two from the fold-out booklet.

Let me know if there's more interest in the images. I have a bunch.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

snowman872 likes this.
  10. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Why the different colors? Is that some way to mark which is "original" and which is a later issue? I think mine are chrome, or silver.

11. Don't know. I mistakenly ordered two copies from different sellers, and that's what showed up.

Kristofa likes this.
  12. This is an example of the cartoon artwork.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

snowman872 and rxcory like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It is the only good version of the original Supremes recordings if you want them to sound like the original vinyl versions. I can't believe how much they ruined the original recordings since, actually removing much of the reverb trying to make them sound more modern, I guess.

snowman872 likes this.
  14. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

So, are there are Made in Japan AND Made in Germany versions available as first releases? Is this for all of the Compact Command Performances?

15. earshot

earshot Compact Disc Digital Audio

16. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Let's Get It On: Motown Compact Classic issue, 1998 remaster (with alternate version of "If I Should Die Tonight")

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Rare Earth - Get Ready

Cover has the outline

18. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

19. earshot

earshot Compact Disc Digital Audio

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

21. Oatsdad

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have a few of the Compact Command Performance CDs, but I also have a few called 'Great Songs And Performances That Inspired The Motown 25th Anniversary T.V. Special'
    Is there any overlap between these 2? What about mastering comparisons between these 2 series?
    Would love to get some of those early Motown 2fers (2 All-Time Great Classic Albums).

Darryl

23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I noticed some of these are duplicates. Not to get too far off topic, but I didn't see a separate thread about these.
    Made myself a list of the ones I'm looking for.

The Temptations ‎– Cloud Nine / Puzzle People (Gordy ‎– GCD08016GD)
    The Temptations ‎– Psychedelic Shack / All Directions (Motown ‎– GCD08022GD)
    The Temptations ‎– A Song For You / Masterpiece (Gordy ‎– GCD08035GD)
    The Temptations ‎– Live At The Copa / With A Lot O' Soul (Gordy ‎– GCD08037GD)
    The Temptations ‎– Wish It Would Rain / In A Mellow Mood (Motown ‎– GCD08054GD)
    Michael Jackson ‎– Got To Be There / Ben (Motown ‎– MCD08000MD)
    The Jackson 5 ‎– Third Album / Maybe Tomorrow (Motown ‎– MCD08011MD)
    Four Tops ‎– Reach Out / Still Waters Run Deep (Motown ‎– MCDO8007MD)
    The Jackson 5 ‎– Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 / A B C (Motown ‎– MCDO8019MD)
    Smokey Robinson ‎– Being With You / Where There's Smoke (Tamla ‎– TCD08001TD)
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles ‎– Going To A Go-Go / The Tears Of A Clown (Tamla ‎– TCD08004TD)
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles ‎– Time Out / Special Occasion (Tamla ‎– TCD08043TD)
    Diana Ross And The Supremes And The Temptations ‎– Join The Temptations / Together (Tamla Motown ‎– ZD72502)
    Four Tops ‎– Keeper Of The Castle/Nature Planned It (Motown ‎– MCDO8046MD)

Sorry for getting sidetracked Colin. Now back on topic.
    Is there any overlap between the 'Compact Command Performances' & ' Music Insipered by...'
    CDs? What about mastering comparisons between the 2 series?

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.