fun with turntables (no, really!): spring VTF vs. counterweight?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi guys/girls

Just out of curiousity I rebalanced the arm on my 'table (a Thorens TP14/25 arm) using the spring-loaded VTF thingy instead of the counterweight.

I'm noticing a slight difference in the sound.. it appears 'tighter'. Not necessarily better than it was, bass might've suffered a bit. Or maybe it's actually got better (more focused) and I need to get used to it.

Some of the sizzle (good sizzle) on the highs appears to have gone, and midrange might be just the slightest bit more recessed.

Surprisingly, I'm finding the 'table more susceptible to footfalls NOW, as opposed to what I'd thought. Soundstage might've lost a bit of depth too, but I've done very little listening.

I thought about posting here to see if you guys had any interesting comments, anecdotes, suggestions, whatever.

Regards

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One of the reasons the Rega 250 arm is thought of so highly (and is a choice for modding) is that it doesn't have a spring. I've never made the sprung/unsprung comparison, but many people seem to prefer no spring.

John K.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

No choice on my arm: both the VTF and anti-skating are adjusted by weights. :)

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Breuer arm had instructions to apply half the tracking force by counterweight and the other half by spring loading and this is one of the greatest of all tonearms.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

An interesting idea. I'll give it a try. Maybe it makes for the best of both arrangements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.