Funk This. Funk That. What A Beautiful Genre.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

The album by Breakestra called HIT THE FLOOR is great funk too. I'll always remember, we were in Sydney Harbour on this two level deck and I heard this great music. I look down to the lower level and there's a vinyl DJ spinning the sound. I loved it and asked him what it was - picked the album up not long after.

2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Ohio Players live album, Jam, is a terrific funk record. I suspect it's more "live in the studio" more than "live in an arena."

Another great live funk record is the Meters Uptown Rulers: Live on the Queen Mary. There's a couple dead spots on it where everyone catches their breath, but the hot sections are hot.

jhm likes this.
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

My top 1 funk jam evah!

zebop and Quark like this.
  4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I agree, Kool & Gang debut is one of the funkiest of their albums. :righton:

SirNoseDVoid likes this.
  5. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Cymande's first two albums should not be missed!

Paulo Alm and mooseman like this.
  6. MonkeyLizard

7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Really need to get back into my funk phase!! I'll look at these this weekend. : )

Jarvius likes this.
  8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

One of my great finds from 2015, I was trying to find a nice copy for so many years, finally found a nice copy for under $20.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  9. The Gaturs and Wild Magnolias are terrific too.

I can't get with the Meters, they're not hard enough for me.

In my opinion, the greatest funk song of all time is Give It Up (or Turn It Loose), the remix version, from the James Brown comp In The Jungle Groove. That song is everything funk should be.

jhm likes this.
  10. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

The early instrumental Meters records are pretty tough in my book, or some of the stuff they did backing Lee Dorsey (check out 'Give it up', that one's pretty slamming). The later stuff with more vocals is a lot slicker, but I guess that's true of almost all 70s funk bands. Starting from the mid 70s, the production on a lot of these records is technically much better, but a bit too slick for my tastes. I like the late 60s / early 70s sound a lot better.

E.Baba, highway chile and zphage like this.
  11. MonkeyLizard

I love those early Meters albums. Nice and raw, and full of swag. Great music for struttin or to cruise around town.

highway chile, jhm and SirNoseDVoid like this.
  12. Mister President

Graham Central Station: I listen to this song EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

While I still love the Meters, thanks for mentioning The Wild Magnolias. I was blown away when I heard the first two LPs for the first time. Willie Tee (Wilson Turbinton) was "main man" behind both The Gaturs and The Wild Magnolias; I don't see him get mentioned very much in funk circles. The first Wild Magnolias is a mix of "funked up" Mardi Gras Indian standards and Willie Tee originals while the second is pretty much all Willie. There's a "twofer" on Sunnyside that has both of the original LPs and includes a great 68 page PDF book on the history of the Mardi Gras Indian tradition as well as info on the band/recording sessions. Unfortunately the audio was way too compressed for my tastes so I sought out the original CDs on Polydor, which sound great and are much more dynamic. Since the original LPs were put out on Barclay in France, I bet original copies are pretty hard to come by on this side of the pond.

Here's one of their classics (heavy funk indeed):

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I've just ordered the first Bette Davis, first Graham Central Station, and Tower of Power Back to Oakland. Needed a bit more funky vinyl...doesn't exactly count but just scored an original Ann Peebles too.

15. Mister President

That was awesome. Thanks.

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Sorta' just dropped

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Thanks so much for posting this track -- my Friday just got a lot funkier! Saw Big Chief Monk Boudreaux at JazzFest about a month ago, and he's still got it!

Funk, in all its forms, is still the most joyous music in my world.

jhm likes this.
  18. There's not a funk list, alive and thriving without the great Roger Troutman & ZAPP. Forget Hip-hop without Roger Troutman. A funk giant! This is my favorite version of "Heard It Through the Grapevine," even beating out the original.

proedros and Jack_Straw like this.
  19. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Cool track! Hadn't heard that one before.

Now I need to go find 'More Bounce To The Ounce' and give that one a spin!

jhm and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm glad you liked it and I bet it was great seeing Monk Boudreaux. Unfortuately Big Chief Bo Dollis passed away not too long ago, but his son Bo Jr. is carrying on the tradition!

I guess I'll take this chance to post one from the second LP, They Call Us Wild...

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ya but it seems like they usually go for $40 or so. :yikes:

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I picked up that album a couple weeks ago myself... if all their early albums are this funky, then I might have to delve into their catalogue a bit deeper! ;)

(The only track I wasn't crazy about was "Heaven at Once".... it was kinda lame.... but the rest of the album was good stuff!)

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Spirit of the Boogie has been on my wishlist for quite some time, but I've never come across a copy anywhere. I'm hoping I'll luck out and find it at one of the used-CD stores I shop at frequently... I'm sure they wouldn't charge $40 for it there. ;)

24. No No No

No No No Active Member

The whole Parliament - Funkadelic thing (thang?) was just magic.

proedros, ianuaditis and jhm like this.
  25. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Mr. Ronnie Laws from Houston, TX...pressure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.