FunkyTownGrooves to reissue Diana Ross' RCA catalogue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Torontotom, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Thanks for the track listing! I was hoping for a few more unreleased tracks, but I am glad for what they are using. Glad to see "Fight For It" on Swept Away. Never heard her version of "Sweet Soul Music" so looking forward to it.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love the Swept Away 12" version. Darryl Hall's vocals are quite prominent in it.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the track lists. These look to be very good. So, where to pre-order them? :)

4. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I love Jeff Beck's guitar solo as well. One of my favorite of her RCA years.

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Wonderful. Thanks for this.

7. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Well only one unreleased song and a lot of 45 and 12 mixes. I was hoping for more vaulted stuff but still its nice to see the catalog getting the treatment it deserves.

Oh, and for those who haven't picked up her albums post 1991 I would say to grab Take Me Higher or Every Day Is A New Day (the UK Version since it has the remixed hit version of Not Over You Yet). Both have some great underrated gems on them. (see: I Thought That We Were Still In Love, I Never Loved A Man Before, and Carry On.)

I dare somebody to contact Funkytowngrooves customer service after these are released and claim Silk Electric is defective because you Turned Over the disc after Diana instructed you to and nothing plays......;)

mosogotamravip, Grant and JDeanB like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I never realised Tell Mama and Mr Lee were bonus tracks! They were on the UK CD and I assumed they were on all formats. Everywhere. It's weird for me to think of the album without them...

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I think the album made more sense with the two bonus tracks included, which is why I bought the UK import disc years ago. I'm disappointed that the reissue follows the American release, but when I mentioned it to them on Facebook, they wrote "not possible, it is licensed via Sony USA - The UK/EU release was EMI"...

10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was hoping there would be more unreleased tracks but it will be nice to have the remixes. It would have been great if they could have made Red Hot Rhythm and Blues a two-disc affair - with disc one being the album with bonus tracks and the second disc a DVD of the TV special.

11. KeithH

Thanks. Going direct looks reasonable in this instance, as I saw Why Do Fools Fall In Love for $9.98.

I don't have any of their CDs. Do they print quality inserts?

12. Bobby Morrow

I honestly had no idea it was a 10 track album anywhere! I had the UK EMI CD at the time of release. Later, about 2005, I bought a Japanese reissue because I thought it would be remastered (it wasn't). Still, I'll just programme the new CD in the same order as the old one!

13. pghmusiclover

Actually I seem to recall there was maybe a longer version of "Dirty Looks" (and maybe another track) on the US version.

14. Bobby Morrow

Don't say that. I'll have to track it down!

15. pghmusiclover

I'm assuming it will be on the reissue if they are using the US masters...

16. Bobby Morrow

Yeah. I have to say I'm really looking forward to these reissues. For the amazing career she's had, Diana hasn't always been treated well with CD releases.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes they do. I have the Syreeta reissues and they do a really nice job. Liner notes too.

18. Bobby Morrow

I realised that I do have one of FTG's releases... Aretha Franklin's Who's Zoomin' Who. Nice special edition, though I have to say I'm not overly keen on the album itself!

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Yes, as Bartels 76 said, nice booklets. I have ordered direct a few times and have been pleased by the service.

20. KeithH

Thanks!

JDeanB likes this.
  21. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Just discovered a discount code for these at this time. "ROSS10" is worth a 10% discount.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I will be getting all except "Eaten Alive". Someone mentioned "Baby, It's Me" on Motown. I read where it is supposed to be issued as part of a boxed set of her Motown albums in October. Also, Hip-O is no more.

JDeanB likes this.
  23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I have the SHM of Baby It's Me plus the 2 Lps on 1 CD (BIM/Touch Me In The Morning). I read on the Soulful Detroit forum that the BIM reissue with bonus tracks will be issues, but is scaled down to 1 disc. And it is listed as 'coming soon' on the digital booklet for Funny Girl. So...here's hoping...

Grant likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I really liked the SHM-CD of Baby It's Me. The one of Ross is good as well. I'll probably get the extended version when it comes, but having never owned the original CD, the SHM will more than suffice.

JDeanB likes this.
  25. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

The UK version of Red Hot got the 45 edit whereas the US version contains the full length album version. I presume they went with the edit in the UK so they could better squeeze Mr. Lee & Tell Mama onto the vinyl without losing as much dynamic range....

Andy Skurow did say on John Perrone's "Nightflight" radio show that he listed Baby It's Me and Supremes A Go Go in the Funny Girl digital booklet to help push these sets out there into the marketplace as he wants them out as much as the fans do.....

mosogotamravip and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.