Future Nirvana releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vern, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

So today a previously unreleased studio recording of Sappy surfaced (part of the Nevermind sessions at Sound City), considered by many hardcore fans to be a holy grail of previously unreleased material.

At this stage there is really very, very little previously unreleased studio recordings left to release. Be interesting to see in future years what the Cobain estate and label will decide to release.

I reckon it would be AMAZING to get a vinyl box set released of all studio recordings, not found on their albums and other releases.

2. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

As with most unreleased "holy grails", that was a let down. Thanks for sharing it, though.

Turntable likes this.
  3. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Sounds really good to me. Thanks for posting.

dino77 and theMess like this.
  4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

thanks...

is this one new too?

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  5. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I liked it. And yes I'd be down for a copy of that vinyl box for sure.

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The two big things for me are the rest of the acoustic demos, and the studio Do Re Mi.

I doubt any of the acoustics left are the quality of Do Re Mi, but I certainly want them.

I also want the studio version of Do Re Mi. It was never finished, and I don't know how far along it was, but I really want to know what direction Kurt was headed.

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am glad to finally here this. The released version is SO much better. This one does not have much energy.

8. Vern

That mix is, yeah. Think I prefer it to the already released one. Such an amazing tune.

I reckon like an RSD 7" with this an Old Age would make for a really great release.

9. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Thanks much for posting this, didn't know about it. It'd be great if a full album's worth of stuff like this came out... I know there's also more PRO shot live show vids, I'd love for more of those to come out, I love rocking out and partying to Nirvana DVD's........

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Like the new "Sappy" a lot! Of course it's not a "holy grail", it's just an outtake, but solid enough.

12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Hm, did I miss something. Gather there are two versions of Do Re Mi:
    1) Acoustic demo as released on With The Lights Out
    2)
    Basement demo with Pat Smear and Eric Erlandson March '94

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Out of all of those new tracks, I like the VCV one the best.
    I think it's pretty clear that out of all of the times that they recorded "Sappy", the In Utero version is the best. I'm glad to finally hear the Sound City one, but it isn't as good as the final one.
    To me, the only thing left to hear is the version of "Do Re Mi" that Kurt recorded with Eric Erlandson and Pat Smear in his basement. If indeed it truly exists.

Vern likes this.
  14. Grunge Master

Pretty sure those are the only 2, and I won't believe the basement one until I hear it, if only because it seems to good to be true!

dino77 likes this.
  15. Vern

Oh it definitely is a holy grail, trust me. Of all the Sound City recordings, Sappy is the ONLY one of this session never to have been heard until now.

16. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, always great to hear something new!

I remember the thrill of rushing out to track down a copy of INTO THE BLACK, one of the first multi-disk Nirvana bootlegs, when it first came out and being floored by some of the greatness it contained (longest of shots: anyone else here participate in a usenet forum in 1994 dedicated to trading Nirvana tapes?)

On a related note, the director of MONTAGE OF HECK has indicated that he went through about 200 hours of Cobain's "home tapes" and is hoping to release some of that quite soon. http://pitchfork.com/news/60598-kur...nreleased-cobain-song-for-theatrical-release/

17. Grunge Master

The entire "Outcesticide" collection is still my favorites out of my Nirvana boots.

18. Grunge Master

Now that I've been thinking about it, the only thing left to hear from either Nevermind or In Utero that hasn't been heard is "Lullaby", which is an instrumental that they jammed on during the In Utero sessions.

19. Vern

There's also "Song in D" during the Nevermind sessions, but it may not actually have been recorded.

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The Outcesticide series is great. I haven't gone back to see what has been officially released, but I'm pretty sure most of the live cover songs haven't.

So far as future releases go, I'd like to see a live Nirvana series, but I don't know how many shows were recorded officially - most of the stuff I've heard is audience tapes with the occasional radio show. 1989-1991 are probably the best years and it's obvious that Kurt is enjoying himself.

Grunge Master likes this.
  21. Grunge Master

You know, I don't think that it actually exists. I think maybe Butch Vig has gotten it mixed up with something else. Actually, VCV kind of matches up with it, because he describes it as a 'jangly, REM type song'. I remember when they had the 20th anniversary of Nevermind, and he brought it up, Krist and Dave looked at him like 'What the...?'. It'd be incredible if it turned up, I just don't think it's real.

22. Grunge Master

That tour they did with Sonic Youth in the summer of '91, and the tour they went on at the end of '91 to support Nevermind, he's really enjoying himself. By the beginning of '92, he wasn't digging it at all (and of course, it doesn't help when you've become a junkie). Those performances, which are a mix of Bleach and Nevermind, are fantastic.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Thanks for posting. I like it! I'll take any new Nirvana they want to release.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  24. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I was too late, all taken down :( I was especially interested in "Sappy" as I still don't understand why it wasn't on Nevermind deluxe.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I assume it was purposely held back for a future release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.