FX's "Legion"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

What do I win?

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

50p. It's on it's way.

It's funny as one of those comic book panels that is burned into my memory is a fight between Professor X and the Shadow King, from Uncanny X-Men 117, and Professor X says to him "shields can protect you from a frontal attack but this is a domain of the mind" or something, which I always thought was pretty cool.

But the image of the Shadow King on that cover looks very much like the version they used on the 'blackboard':

[​IMG]

xdawg likes this.
  3. I'm loving this show so much, but yes , I'm confused most if the time. I'm just going with the psychedelic non linear experience and enjoying it.

Ep 7 that Bolero segment was one if the wildest and coolest scenes on television.

Kyhl and vince like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm so behind. I've got 4 stacked up on the DVR. I think next week is season finale.

5. So a short series ? I'm digging it even though it's confusing. A wild ride. Ep 7 is wild.

6. chacha

Yeah, I saw Noah Hawley on Kimmel this week and they said it ends next week. I'm glad you're digging it. I do too but have no idea what's happening.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There's a super guy with a monster in his head since he was really little that acts like it's a bunch of monsters. He and his super friends are trying to evict the monster while staying free of some kind of tyrannical government afraid of their powers. I think that's about it. :D

Vidiot, Mazzy, Lonson and 1 other person like this.
  8. So basically Marvels version of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Kyhl and Vidiot like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I WAS kinda expecting to hear that song...

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Now that's funny.

11. This might me the only ongoing story show in the history of television that you can watch in any order. :tiphat:

12. chacha

And text and talk at the same time and not affect the comprehension!

Mazzy likes this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Argh, cliff-hanger season ending! I hate those. Will I remember "they're heading south" and "help me!" when it returns for season two?

14. vince

Alright, people who've read the comic...
    give me comparisons!

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was only a pseudo cliffhanger in the sense that the S1 storyline was fully resolved and a setup for season 2 left you wanting to know where it will go next.

You can just rewatch this episode before starting season 2, which is what I intend to do - no need for memory! :)

I thought it was a very good episode, capping of an excellent season of impressionism, style and substance, which is not an easy thing to pull off given a mind-games type theme. A great cast also helps of course.

JimW, beccabear67 and vince like this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I may have missed some issues here and there but as far as I can tell it bears very little resemblance to the comics. The character is essentially the same, and we know Professor X is his dad, and the Shadow King exists...but apart from that it seems all created from scratch. Like the other 'mutants' are not people I know from the comics, they seem all made up, and this Government thing is made up.

To me it's like they have taken the basic concept of David and built a new world around him. Perhaps later on it will tie in to more canon stuff.

17. vince

Oh...that's interesting...
    So this whole 'teaming up' of the mutants and the 'government' is totally a new 'idea'?

18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Jermaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza need to be in a show where they travel the world together solving crimes and singing and dancing. I'd watch it.

Kyhl, Lonson, dynamicalories and 3 others like this.
  19. vince

I'll admit, my brain felt 'weird' when David said, "War is over..",
    and, I heard 'if you want it' in my head, like, a millisecond before he said it!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

A little disappointed they went with 'Breathe In The Air' for the final episode. After last week's 'Bolero' I was hoping for 'Carmen' this time, myself.

Did we ever got an explanation for why Lenny's gender was changed? I mean, I know the producers did it when they got a chance at casting Aubrey but they made it clear in the show that Lenny was male while the two of them were drug-addled homeless ne'er-do-wells but she seemed pretty much solidified as female when she was killed in the wall in the pilot, so it can't just have been the King messing with his head. The characters even commented on it and everything!

In more worrying news, the home video is up on Amazon, but it's only showing as DVD - no BluRay. Let's hope that's not as good as it gets. [​IMG]

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But that is the reason and the only reason. It was purely a creative decision.
    I don't know anything about the comic - never read it including X-Men. To me this was a standalone piece of work which I appreciated without baggage. Like a book adaptation, you need to accept that the product is based on the original work, and is not a carbon copy.

Jim B. likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Looks like Amazon is showing a Blu-ray now too:

[​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Interestingly, one very early review I read of this show seemed to be under the impression that the show is legally unable to reference anything to do with the X-Men.

But the show is a Fox production, which I would presume would mean it's produced under the same rights/license that gives them the rights to X-Men characters (e.g. Deadpool).

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

But why mention it in the series if the decision was already made before they started shooting? Why have them reveal in David's dreamscape that Lenny's male and have Syd comment on it if you're not going to work it into the plot? Why not just show her as a her in his memories? Honestly, I was expecting some kind of reveal in the finale that explained it. Possibly a flashback that showed that the Lenny who was killed in the wall was a guy all along and that David's parasite was making him see him as a her? Not a big deal; it just seemed to me like a mystery we were supposed to be paying attention to.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Well, Deadpool didn't go out of its way to include a whole lot of X-Men either. Maybe someone with more inside info (like, say, Vidiot?) can chime in.

I'm guessing that having a character being mentioned would be fine (it's not like every other TV show out there doensn't have characters making pop culture references) but actually including a Marvel character as a guest would require a royalty payment of some kind (probably nominal.) And if a specific actor was already associated with that role, that would have to be worked into the budget. Easier for a second season when the first is already popular than when the show is still in the pilot stages. Plus, you know, most writers are hoping for their show to stand on its own two feet and become a thing in its own right rather than rely on reflected glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.