FX's The Strain

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Catching up on this one. Still enjoying it. The direction is pretty tight. That shot after Gus takes out the sentinel at the warehouse where he's looming above on the ledge in silhouette looking down at his crew below was excellent. I also like how they're advancing tension between the Master and Eichhorst. Not to mention the new organization of society with promos on how lucky they are is a nice touch. I haven't seen Eph obsessed with drinking either. That he actually brought back that liquor bottle for trade seemed to underscore that he's moved on at least from that habit. Only complaint is too much Zac and that looks like it's going to continue. Can't win em all I guess.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Interesting turn for Quinlan, and a bit out of character for him to shoot an unarmed/incapacitated man. Got a feeling the writers wanted to put some distance between his character and the audience, so something must be planned for him. Also a comment on the split story lines - they help spread the story out and fill time, but how do we actually/really know that these stories are happening at the same time? Perhaps we get an update on Setrakian's condition in the next episode, but his relative short screen time thus far in the season is odd. I'd rather catch up with is character rather than Zac's.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

All in all, this season is boring. It's run it's course it seems.

4. Bobby Buckshot

I wouldn't go that far, but they're certainly taking their time setting it all up. I don't watch real-time, so that helps b/c I get to speed through commercials, which are more abundant this season.

5. shokhead

:agree:DVR:righton:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Thus the final season, and yes, it's boring.

No show is more aptly titled these days. I've had more enjoyable bowel strains.

Yet, here I am...because? I have to see how it all winds out in the end.

vince and shokhead like this.
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Four episodes and only a brief glimpse of Setrakian during a flashback so far is the biggest detractor. I think this last episode reached a spot where there should be increased action. Six more episodes so there's really not much time left. At least there was no Zach in this episode!

Obviously Creem is going to betray Gus, and Gus' cousin is set up as the tragic figure in it all. Also, Miranda aka Dutch is caught. I've seen pics of her character caught in one of those cages she just witnessed. Either she's toast or there's a last minute rescue. Seeing as how they're in NYC, wouldn't surprise me if somehow Gus does the rescuing. Either him or Eph should Eph find his way back to New York. Desai is obviously going to be punished somehow, but at least Dutch getting caught moves this story along.

8. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Am I the only person wondering why everybody seems to be getting by in this "nuclear winter" with no radiation sickness? Shouldn't that be a major concern?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Yes. The answer is Plot Armor, which this show supplies in copious amounts to its characters. Hence why Dutch was able to score against Eichhorst in this past episode when he inexplicably didn't use his super-strig speed to avoid that cocktail.

10. Boy, this show has really fallen off the map.

I actually enjoyed episodes 5 and 6, which is a lot more than I can say for the very slow start. Zac still proves to be the worst kid who has ever lived. Now he has a zombie chick to...man, don't tell me he's going to do that!

I think it's the flashbacks to 1888 that really made the last couple of episodes. The flashbacks to different time periods was something this show did well when it was firing on all cylinders. Now that the show seems to be limping across the finish line, at least the flashbacks gives it some much needed weight.

Otherwise, meh. Let's see what happens by episode 10. If there's any justice in the world, Zac will get his comeuppance in a horrible way.

11. shokhead

Lost interest. DVR and watch it in 15 minutes.

12. Bobby Buckshot

Well, there's only what - 4 episodes left? The preview for the next installment make it seem like the action is going to heat up. The payoffs better be good - need justice for the Master, Eichhorst and Zac.

And yes, Zac is the worst character I've ever seen in a TV show.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. I simply can't recall a show that had this much of a drop off in a final season.

Sure, the show was never high art. It's always been fun, and I loved the way that they juggled multiple story lines.

I hope the show ends with a bang, though. I've come this far, so that's is the only reason I'm sticking around.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  14. Bobby Buckshot

I think some of it has to do with the Zac character. He's abhorrent, and apparently so in the books as well. Nearly every scene he's in is cringe-worthy which I think drags the story down a bit. Would that they'd have somehow found a way to leave that character out. With Quinlan, Gus, and Fet as the main protagonists that get all the focus you'd have a damn good show.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Too late to edit, but I should have included Setrakian in the above. Grudgingly I'll admit that Eph is a decent character as well, sans Zac's involvement. He was a great focal character in the first season, especially in the kickoff episode.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm going to take the contrarian view to most of the posts above. I think this season is a MAJOR improvement--very tight, much more focus on matters at hand and far less on stupid love triangles.

I thought the first half of the first season was best, the second half of that season got progressively sillier, the second season was sillier still, the third season was an improvement and this season is pretty excellent.

And, yes, Zac is the worst kid of all time. My guess is that in the finale. the Master transfers to Zac's body and somehow Eph is going to have to kill him to end everything.

17. shokhead

Last one was pretty good for the last 5 minutes.

18. Bobby Buckshot

I liked this last episode a lot. Plot holes? Sure. Last minute rescues? Yep. But the action was pretty tight and that was a glorious last 5 minutes. Three episodes left I think.

19. Whatever happened the second half of the final is a return to form.

@Bobby Boogaloo - Yes, you're right. Yet, when has the show ever been without plot holes? I would rather have The Strain plot holes rather than The Walking Dead plot holes. Some plot holes just sit better with me than others.

My take on the ending?

I would like to see the whole cast die, except for the atrocious Zac, who kills his father and sits on a thrown high above his kingdom with The Master in his body.

Heh. I guess I'm just tired of seeing the good guys always win. :D

20. Bobby Buckshot

Well, one more episode left. I get the feeling we're going to get a replica of the Darth/Luke/Emperor scene from SW for this finale, but maybe they'll spice it up a little.

I'm interested in how the story will conclude the story for Fet, Gus, Dutch and Quinlan as well since they're more interesting to me than Zac/Eph.

I hope they don't get short shrift. I'm also wondering if this will be a 2 hour finale - anyone know? I can't find any info online about it. FX's schedule page is plain weird. One hour with all these commercials will be awfully short to wrap this up. I'd like a bit of an epilogue for any surviving characters.

21. shokhead

I'm to the point where I pretty much don't care but I suppose I will finish it off with a watch.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Right there with ya'!
    It's been pretty bad, but, I'm here to the end, because......
    you know, I don't KNOW why!!!

23. Bobby Buckshot

Seriously - no info online about whether this is a one hour or two hour finale is strange...does FX not even know?

24. shokhead

The Last Stand is 64 minutes.

25. I'm not reading a few of these posts because I'm an episode behind.

This Sunday we'll watch the last two episodes back to back. Yeah, that should be...interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.