FX's The Strain

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True. I had lost count. I just want it to move beyond the glacial pace so far.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

My favorite lame exchange of the series so far (I'm paraphrasing):

Gary Arnot: "Thank you for releasing my daughter."
    Eph Goodweather: "Her body was released?"
    Gary Arnot: "No... she turned up on my doorstep this morning."

What I find ridiculous is the father matter-of-factly being OK with is 8-year-old daughter "turning up on the doorstep". By herself. With no warning. Early in the morning.

That one just sticks out as incredibly awful because they keep using the exchange during the "Previously on..." intros on each episode, so I've seen it several times now.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    wayneklein likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, the voice over when she returned home talked about "love makes us believe the unbelievable" or something like that.

But when the daughter was half submerged in the bathtub and obviously not breathing and with dark eyes and the father barely noticed...that was kind of...interesting...

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

OMG ... it is soooo embarrassingly
    bad ! ...... yet i keep watching o_O

vince likes this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm wondering if the choppiness of the most recent episode is due to trying to fit this within an hour of airtime, which is what, approximately 30-40 mins of actual show time? The first show was excellent at 2 hours air time - wish they were all this way. This newest episode had no scenes with the exterminator or goth boy, and as a previous post stated none with the other female survivor - will she even be revisited? There are plot holes as well, as noted above in the spoilers, mainly dealing with the capillary worms' location "post-extraction." I can't help but think the cropped length affects the cohesiveness of the plot.

Love the old man though. Have no idea where he came from in that last scene (shades of the last fight b/w McClain and the baddies in DH2 on the airplane wing), but he's making the show for me. TCB by BTO should be his theme song.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

He's got a lot of vampire killin' and life savin' to do before I forgive him for the Red Wedding...

wayneklein and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

What's the Red Wedding ?

vince likes this.
  8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member Thread Starter

A reference to another show that shared the actor, a reference that can only be explained by massive spoilers...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

ahh , ok thanks

lbangs likes this.
  10. Game of Thrones.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and yet, as bad as it is, 'under the dome' makes it look like shakespeare.

12. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

It's so good/bad, though! Very entertaining, turn-the-brain-off monster schlock. Love it.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

I could be wrong, but I don't think The Strain is hate-watchable, in large-part anyway, unless cynicism evelopes one's life. I haven't been sucked into many shows recently like this one. Aside from Walking Dead, have there been any good horror/monster shows on television recently? ("good" DQ's those shows on Sci-Fi, btw)

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  14. I can put up with a fair degree of silliness in a piece of horror fiction like this; based on the evidence so far, I'm more worried that they're gonna stall out the momentum every so often by getting into the "human interest" crap. Like, does anyone who watches programs like this want to explore the protagoniost's strained relationship with his ex? I didn't think so.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

As long as it ultimately pays off in the main plot, I do.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

I have some predictions of how that story line is going to play out. Will be interesting to see what happens.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The way you guys are complaining about this, I'm not bothered I only wathced the first episode. Too many good shows to keep up with, so I doubt I'll come back to this one.

18. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm out. I made it through the first 3 episodes which got progressively dumber as they went on. What a waste of a great opportunity.

19. Bobby Buckshot

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Although it suffers significant plot holes and the some questionable character motivation, I am still finding this show quite entertaining. It's not Othello, but I think it's a winner on its own terms.

So far, at least.

wayneklein and rene smalldridge like this.
  21. I still like the show and while the pacing is a bit of an issue for me, I think they've done a stood job so far of tying together the various subplots. Bit of trivia--the old man was originally played by John Hurt but he had to bow out due to other commitments. They reshot the scenes with the Harry Potter and Game of Thrones actor for the pilot. Also Del Toro also meant for the pest guy to be played originally by Ron Perlman but, again, he was u able to do it due t other commitments (also not sure if e wanted to commit to a long series again)

Bobby Buckshot and vince like this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

He's quite good.... I can't watch, however, without thinking of his hilarious, but small roles in "Hot Fuzz" & "The Worlds' End"!

23. Yeah I loved his characters in both but Hot Fuzz with his collection of guns, the mine and incomprehensible speaking was hilarious.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I had blotted him out of my mind as Walder Frey! lol

25. Bobby Buckshot

Interesting (and positive) ratings info from Variety. This bodes well for the series to continue and hopefully for other potential horror television projects in the future. If the ratings continue this way, I wonder if they would consider doing a feature film release, a la X Files? I can't help but think that a full length film would lend itself to better editing and story flow.

http://variety.com/2014/data/news/f...ngs-for-hot-new-drama-the-strain-1201264817/#

From the article:

"In a first for a TV industry grappling to get an accurate handle on audience measurement in the DVR era, the network waited until Nielsen issued its “Live + 3″ numbers on Friday to release any ratings data to the press. The “Live + Same-Day” numbers were issued by Nielsen on Tuesday, and reported in some outlets, but they are increasingly becoming irrelevant for a business whose chief advertising currency is sold off numbers that include three days’ worth of DVR playback.

It’s not unusual these days, especially for 10 p.m. dramas like “The Strain,” to jump in rating by more than 50% with just three days’ worth of DVR playback. (The young-adult audience for “Strain” actually swelled by 64%, and could come close to doubling its audience when a full week’s worth of data is included.)

“With the exception of sports, news and live events, Live+Same Day ratings no longer accurately reflect the audience delivery for a scripted entertainment program,” said FX’s John Solberg in a note accompanying Friday’s ratings release. “We believe they grossly mischaracterize the actual audience due to the multiple data streams and platforms. Therefore, our first acknowledgement of any ratings will be on a Live+3 basis and beyond.”

Larry Mc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.