FX's The Strain

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think this evil existed before the Nazis in The Strain.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Del Torro is makes anti-fascist movies, and consistently uses Nazis and/or falangists as the baddies. I think one of his points with this show is that the philosophy behind fascism is older than the Nazis, but that it perhaps found its soul mate with them and then modern day corporatists. Will be interesting to see how this develops with the new season,

ex_mixer likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hope they got better
    writers for S02 !

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Spring bump

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Maybe a little early, but the series returns on July 12, 2015.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Looking forward to it already

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Official Season 2 Trailer

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

My wife and I checked season 1 out from the library and watched it recently. My wife kept saying, "This is like watching 'Buffy,' only it's bad." Yeah, the show had a few scary moments, but the cliched characters and plot points are so groan-inducing that I found it difficult to watch. Much of the writing and acting are just bad. I can't believe it got picked up for a second season.

9. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I am kind of surprised its not on demand. Why wouldn't FX make this available if they want to get new viewers for a second season?

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Agreed. I've been a fan of vampire fiction and films since I was a little kid in the 70s, I've seen countless tv series and movies over the years and I'm generally rather forgiving...but The Strain just pissed me off. There is no excuse for a filmmaker of his caliber to put out something this hackneyed.

The look of the main vampire was also laughably bad, not the least bit scary, just incredibly goofy.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Anyone watching season two?

Thought the first episode was OK... But more creepy than suspenseful.

12. Bobby Buckshot

DVR'd. Will watch either tonight or tomorrow...looking forward to it!

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

DVR-ing it is the only way to go . . my god, commercials every five minutes.

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Watched 1st ep of season 2. Show is so over the top, cracks me up. I dig it.

wayneklein and ex_mixer like this.
  15. Those children promise to be creepy...

16. It's fun. If you can't enjoy it, ok but the only issue I have is the amount of commercials when it runs on TV. It ain't Hamlet nor will it ever be.

17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Well, I never expected Hamlet, but I didn't expect it to be so inept and cliched either. I couldn't even enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" way. Right from the beginning, even when I found the story somewhat interesting, there was something stilted about the acting that completely turned me off. Then the story got dumb and things just got worse and worse. I can't believe my wife and I sat through that first season. My wife still brings up how bad it was.

Oh well, have fun with the second season. I have plenty of other things to watch.

18. I wouldnt claim the show is brilliant but I find it entertaining. It's jumk but well made junk. It's precisely the way it plays with cliches that kind of appeals to e.

There's certainly a lot of good stuff on as well.

To each his own. I wouldn't compare it Buffy at all a much better show IMHO.

ex_mixer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Just watched the first episode of the new season. Out of the 1.5 hours total programming, the actual show ran 56:12 (or roughly around that area). Yes, I geeked a bit and timed it. So, over a half hour of commercials in the premier.

Good first show, a little slow, but still going to watch. Enough plot lines to keep it interesting. Enjoyed the opening "story time" with Setrakian's grandma.

Watched it with captions running and it was interesting to catch the fact that in the beginning, one of the news shows at the hero hideout talked about how Russia had unexpectedly invaded Latvia and Lithuania. Anyone else catch that? Also, there's 10,000 National Guard troops that have been deployed in the city.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I only remember Dr. Ephraim Goodweather having one son but I guess I must have got them mixed up with each other last season.

21. It's junk, but contrary to popular opinion it's better than the junk The Walking Dead foists on us every autumn.

Then again, I'm a fan of The Walking Dead comic, and know little about vampires (outside of Interview and Salem's Lot), so perhaps I'm more critical of one and a little ignorant when it comes to the other.

22. It's different sort of entertainment. frankly, I don't find either one to be junk. They are well performed, well put together. The Monster a That Challenged The World or I Was Teenage Werewolf are junk.

23. Bobby Buckshot

Vampires > Zombies; at least for me. Although I think The Strain's take on vampires is original, at least in that they've removed the romanticism typically found in these stories.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Jeepers, creepers!
    The commercial breaks are KILLIN' ME!
    I made it to the 52min. point last night, and decided I'll watch the rest later.
    It's like 5 minutes of 'show', and like 12 commercials..... and, this is ON DEMAND!?!?!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

On demand is the worst...Most on demand services don't allow you to fast forward through the commercials.

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.