FX's The Strain

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

They show it like 5-6x. I tape it at like 1am. DVR is your best friend.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This past weeks episode was pretty good....I was considering bailing from the show but that episode will keep me around for a couple more episodes at least.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Did it get renewed for S03 ?

:laugh:

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't know. So far this season it's been ok.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm out. I felt that during the 1st season, the more that was revealed, the cornier and less interesting it got. I got midway through the 2nd episode this season when I realized I wasn't interested in any single aspect of the show.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Sticking with it. At least things seem to be picking up after not much happening in the prior episodes this season. Just wondering if Eph shaving his head is a bit of an attempt on Fox's part to try and hype their new assassin movie.

7. Bobby Buckshot

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So the half human, half Vampire guy shows up ready to take down The Master. By any reading of the situation, he's on the level for that--saving two of the protagonists from the spider kids and not choosing to otherwise kill or entrap them.

So what do they do? Fire off some dynamite to foil that plan...Why?

Eph stupidly gives the entirety of their supply of anti-vampire toxin to the military complex guy. The entirety?

And now they aren't just going to make more? It seemed to take about a day to whip up the first batch. Why stop?

9. Bobby Buckshot

No idea. Why not just make it on the sly? I don't think anyone's suing anyone at the moment...

10. tentimesblue

tentimesblue Active Member

I don't understand how some things are just carrying on as if there's not a vampire plague going on outside. Like the Indian restaurant, they don't seem unduly concerned at the events unfolding around them. (or perhaps they are, I'm one episode behind I think)

Also I saw Ant-man last week, perhaps Eph shaved his head for that.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I like the good versus evil elements of this show, even if it has gotten pretty cartoonish in parts.

I think the interpersonal stuff--the love triangle, the bratty kid and his "mom"--drag it to its knees...

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That's my biggest gripe as well. Out in the street it's like business as usual.

Last night's dynamite FX was one of the lamest scenes ever. Looked fake, weak - no dust or smoke. And then the half breed dude tosses a foam chunk of concrete to end it.

Laughable.

13. Bobby Buckshot

Some subplots are definitely better than others. Gus doesn't get enough screen time to flesh out what's going on in his part of the story. On the other hand, Mama Goodweather and brat kid ain't fun, and the Coco story needs to progress b/c it's getting a bit stale. I also seem to remember Dutch falling into the hands of Eichhorst (anyone notice the double "h" here?) back in the series preview and can't help but think her lady friend has something to do with that which would justify Fet's suspicion.

And refresh my memory, what happened to Bolivar's manager? Did she end up being victim or was she creeped out enough to flee? Or, was her character just abandoned? I can't remember....

Steve-oh likes this.
  14. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Yeah, get rid of the kid and a few of the clunky plotlines and it would be better. Really digging the historic flashbacks this season, though.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Historic flashbacks are good. Stuff with vampires is good. Dump the kid. Dump the love stuff. And if there's a point to Coco and Eldritch Palmer, let's get to it...

And, please, no more 25 minute VHS videos of an old vampire story starring a guy with a limp who now works at an Indian restaurant.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    vince and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I'm watching it only because I like the premise and it's not totally insulting to the intelligence. But man, could I ever go off on plot inconsistencies and the irritating bs personal subplots, grrrrrr......

17. I will watch the final season's last episode just to see how much they changed it from the book. Test audiences will not like the book's ending.

18. Bobby Buckshot

See, I need to read these books. I've previewed them and the graphic novels and it looks like Brat and Ma Goodweather play rather large roles - so unfortunately that story line isn't going away anytime soon. It's too bad they couldn't find a better kid actor.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Please avoid discussing the books. I've read the books too but in fairness to those who haven't talking about who may or may not play a larger role down the line isn't cool.

Scope J likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

This past episode was pretty good - Gus storyline developing and great scenes in the hunt for the Occido Lumen (Western Light in Latin, correct?). Even the Ma Goodweather/Brat storyline progressed, and if I'm not mistaken, was that the last of the little vampinos?

Maybe this episode was good b/c of the absence of Dutch? Have to say this season's episodes are actually getting better. Maybe we'll soon get a conclusion in the CoCo soap opera as well.

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I liked it too. This show is better than 90% of the other TV shows out there is what we say in my house. :)

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, this was a decent episode. Thumbs up to the absence of Dutch romance junk. Thumbs down to more wasted minutes on Coco. Thumbs down to the continued rebellious stupidity of the son, but I guess that at least moves the plot forward. And at this point if he still mopes "you just don't understand mom, dad, she's good" then I suggest they put him the in a home for those with intellectual disabilities.

Plinko likes this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

He'd be a full on candidate for Outward Bound at that point. Put him on the train and send him off.

Btw; Setrakian had a great line (among quite a few in this episode): "Get your head out of the skirt and into the game!"

24. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Eichorst is the most sarcastic villain that has been on tv the last few years.

25. Bobby Buckshot

Another good episode, although the "love triangle becoming a square" was painfully obvious. Still, the tough-guy dialogue for Setrakian makes up for it a bit. There remain notable gaps in the different story threads. I do think that a 1 hour time slot (about 45 mins of the real show) limits the story development and delays these threads from coming together. And so we had no Gus or Quinlin this time around, and I prefer their story arc to that of Dutch and her girlfriend (who I'm still betting is on the take somehow).

And apparently I was wrong about the li'l vampinos! At least one left that the viewers know of. And from the look of next week's preview we should have a considerable development on the Coco front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.