FYE making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Jan 7, 2016.

1. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

went into my local FYE (inside a mall) to look around....the CD section has been reduced to 1 2-sided upright metal rack, new and used mixed together, maybe 1000 total CD's.

even the DVD/blu-ray section was smaller and on the same type of metal rack.

mostly t-shirts and toys.

probably the last time i will ever go in there.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

I was at a strip mall store recently. I think it is the last one in my metro area, the mall stores have all closed. The CD section is still very large, as are the DVD sections, and there is a decent sized vinyl section. Honestly I'm surprised the store is still around. Whenever I go in there it's mostly dead. Occasionally someone will be buying a movie or video game. I never see anyone buying music, though sometimes I see people browse then not buy anything.

The main reason I still stop in occasionally is for used CDs. Often I can find good older pressings that go on eBay for more than what I would pay at FYE during one of their sales. Buy 2, get one free is pretty common sale they have. The last sale was Buy 2, get one for $1.

melstapler likes this.
  3. jimac51

jimac51 Forum Resident

Update:It seems as the vinyl section was cut in half from a year ago. About 10% of the display seems to be reduced @ 25% off. Similar experience at Barnes & Noble. Racks thinned out. Lots of space holding maybe 12-15 vinyl titles as new releases. This,when a week before Black Friday,stores should be at their fullest. In both,I asked if they had the new Herb Alpert Christmas album. Don't laugh. First seasonal LP in 49 years from an act that,in the past,sold a lot of Christmas vinyl. Also,Herb was touring in the area this past week. Neither FYE nor B&N had one piece either on vinyl or CD,and,as usual,hired help was clueless.

melstapler likes this.
  4. dee

dee Forum Resident

Yeah, me too, I was able to sell some miscellaneous titles there that I had acquired for one reason or another and don't listen to and use the cash from them to buy a few titles I had been wanting.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Hot Springs, AR still has an FYE, the only one I have shopped at in years. I always find something worth buying when I shop at FYE. It is always busy enough that it has the appearance of a store that will remain open, at least for the short term. As far as all of the space taken up by trinkets and t-shirts, I seem to be able to completely ignore all of that.

fluffskul likes this.
  6. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Things haven't changed at the store near me. They have two small racks of vinyl and a majority of what's there is priced at 15-25% OVER suggested list price. Led Zeppelin HOTH deluxe two record set was $54.99
    The rest of the store had an overflow of T shirts and used cds and dvds.

7. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Disappointing Black Friday trip to FYE today, a few sale items in CD and DVD. No used item sales other than the usual buy 2 get the 3rd for a 1.00. No vinyl sales just the usual crazy high price. Noticed a Beatles Mono Vinyl Box for $469.99. With tax in my area that would cost $507.59. Insane crazy. I did buy the Cheap Trick Christmas CD for $11.99.

dee and melstapler like this.
  8. jimac51

jimac51 Forum Resident

If FYE does a decent used sale,it will start post-Christmas. This "buy 2,get the 3rd for a buck" has grown really tiresome this last year. It seemed that during three-day weekend holidays they had a slightly better one. Add to that the ever-diminished value of much of their second hand product. Their algorithms are giving less for incoming yet their resale price rarely reflects just buying one. It appears that if they can't con you into picking up three items,they don't care. My past experience has been to stay out of FYE entirely Nov.-Dec. They want maximum price to pay for the outrageous rent. Especially last minute,a period that Amazon is closing in on while they seem to think that panic buying from around Dec. 15 still exists in 2017. From Dec. 26 on,they have to worry about getting any gift cards redeemed and paying bills. A good bit of holiday themed product is either non-returnable nowadays or they have made deals with the manufacturers to keeps returns lower with incentives to warehouse remaining unsold product at Trans World. Once again,never buy Christmas CDs or DVDs till the 26th.
    I've found this true at Barnes & Noble with books. You will see some new "bestsellers" with pretty decent quantities during the holidays,but some "bestsellers" that aren't the bestest go into clearance Dec. 26th,usually 40-50%, just so the manufacturers don't have them back in their warehouse. Once again,redeeming gift cards is part of that scam. Gift cards are the crack cocaine for retail.

9. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

does FYE still buy used CD's?

and, if yes.....are they at least fair about it?