Galavant (ABC TV Series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

[Moderator Note: Original thread title was "GALAVANT: Worst TV Series of the Decade"]

I'm in shock after watching this:

It's like somebody hired a mentally-disabled person to go watch Spamalot, Glee, Game of Thrones, and Smash and put them all together in one horrible, horrible show.

Critics are already calling this "The Cop Rock of 2014."

Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical and judging it from a 3-minute trailer. Total shock from me. I think this will be the first recent series cancelled 15 minutes after it begins.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    somnar, jtiner, audiomixer and 3 others like this.
  2. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

It will be campy but it will be better then shows like honey boo boo (not saying much though).

sgb likes this.
  3. Vidiot

There's already a betting pool on whether the first episode will even air.

Man, it's incredible how some TV executives just don't get it. I laugh at Monty Python & The Holy Grail from start to finish (including the opening titles), but I didn't even smile once during this trailer. For a big-budget network show (we're talking $3M an episode), this thing is just jaw-droppingly awful.

I don't count reality shows as competition for something like this. Those are a whole different class of horrible.

4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I agree it isn't going to work, but I did laugh a few times. I think something like this might have worked better as a one night TV movie or hour long show. At least it isn't CSI: Camelot.

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

First I've heard of this, but since the only thing my wife and I watch on the ABC affiliate is Jeopardy nothing surprises me about network TV.

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hmm. I dunno. It could be lighthearted, campy silly fun. Like 'Princess Bride' meets 'Glee'? I know, 'Princes Bride' is a masterpiece and I feel dirty even comparing this to that, but the trailer wasn't as horrific as I expected. If anything it seems like a real stretch to make this into a series. Even if the pilot manages to entertain, the other 20-whatever episodes are going to struggle for ideas.

dan c

7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Like scrubs, meets saturday night "love" parodies.

8. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

needs coconuts.

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

not the worst thing I have seen-I appreciate they are at least trying something a bit "out there" even if it turns out to be utter crap- better that than another police procedural or dystopian show about some mysterious event that happens and changes the entire world but no one can figure out what that mysterious event was

MikaelaArsenault, MarkO and Dan C like this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I liked Cop Rock. This could be horrible, but on the surface doesn't look to be as bad as Revolution, and I made it through several episodes of that.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  11. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

On a side note, I remember watching almost 1 whole episode of Cop Rock, and what I remember was a chick sitting at a bus stop bench singing such an emotionally touching song that I was actually moved, and my brain said: 'whoa'.

oh, back to OPs topic: yes that was pretty effen stupid looking, and they were actually trying too hard(?) to be ridiculous... somebody must've owed someone a gigantic favor or a money filled bj or something to get this greenlighted...

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - you're declaring this show the "worst TV series of the decade" and you've not even SEEN IT??? :doh:

13. Vidiot

Watch the trailer. I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

Cop Rock was better than this.

Musicals are a hard sell under any conditions. But even when they're well-done, it's an uphill struggle. From what I see in the trailer, this is not well done.

chilinvilin and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Honestly, any show that isn't a reality program or a by-the-book procedural is more promising than most nowadays. Besides, this could be goofy fun, and the creative talent is hardly lightweight.

I'm curious.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

GALAVANT: Worst TV Series of the Decade?

No.

16. I liked Cop Rock! It was less cheezy than it sounded and some of the songs were actually pretty decent.

17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

*Groan*

18. Oatsdad

The quality of the trailer is irrelevant to the discussion. You can't judge a TV series or movie based on a frinkin' TRAILER! :help:

19. Vidiot

Is it possible to make a good show based on what we've seen in this trailer?

I give this about as much time on the air as Lucky 7. Remember that one from a few months ago?

20. Oatsdad

I didn't watch the trailer and don't plan to bother. My point remains: it's impossible to state that a series is good/bad/indifferent unless one actually watches the series.

Never heard of "Lucky 7". I only watch BDs/DVDs, so if a series doesn't show up on one of those formats, I never see it...

21. Vidiot

Hey, I'm asking a qustion -- I'm not making a statement.

What would be the worst TV series of the decade? I gotta say, Revolution is really, really bad and might make it to my bottom-10 list.

You're judging my opinion and not even willing to watch the 3-minute trailer that generated it? :eek:

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

From the trailer it strikes me as a slight parody of Little Mermaid-on Disney (and derivatives) animated fairy tales, indeed I see it's even scored by Alan Menken... only it's live action when it probably would go over better animated.

Maybe it'll play a lot better than the trailer. The lead seems weakest of all they show, which is concerning, but again it might just be the trailer. In any case I wish 'em luck. At least it's not another of the routine, such as un-reality series, criminal-lawyer-cop-detective courtroom and/or procedural series, soap, etc. Even if it's awful and a bust, it's probably not a contender for the worst.

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and lbangs like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Yup. I'd "judge" anyone's opinion if they based it on incomplete information. It's like reading 10 pages of a 500-page book and making a decision about it.

I think it'd be odd to call a TV series the worst based on a single episode, but to base it on a TRAILER? :crazy:

24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

"No" is a perfectly acceptable answer to your thread title question, "Galavant: Worst TV series of the decade?" By "No" I'm saying I don't think Galavant will be the worst TV series of the decade. Based on the trailer, it's got the potential to be a lighthearted romp with comedic influences such as The Princess Bride, Shrek, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Enchanted, etc. It's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, and it has the potential to be a complete failure, but it could also be a surprising hit.

As for TV series that could be considered "Worst TV Series of the Decade," here's a short list of this decade's worst TV shows as compiled by A.V. Club. If Galavant is superior to even ONE of these shows, then the answer to your original question is, "No."

The Marriage Ref (NBC
    $#*! My Dad Says (CBS)
    Gravity (Starz)

Unforgettable (CBS)
    Retired At 35 (TV Land)
    I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Fox)

¡Rob! (CBS)
    Oh Sit! (The CW)
    Work It! (ABC)

Dads (Fox)
    Do No Harm (NBC)
    Low Winter Sun (AMC)

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

"Worst TV Series of the Decade" is obvious hyperbole, and sometimes hyperbole is used to grab attention, as in "wow, this person doesn't go around calling everything the worst of the decade, so this is worth reading..."

Obviously any viewing experience is subjective, but I for one saw this thread and thought "hrrrmm, Vidiot and I both seem to like that "Helix" show while acknowledging its shortcomings, so this might well be really really bad if he's willing to even throw that hyperbole around."

I'd also say that while trailers (for TV or Film) shouldn't be used to judge a show (even though that's kind of what the makers of the trailers want, right?), it happens FAR more often that a "good" or "decent" trailer ends with an actual show or film that is awful, and far less often that I catch a trailer that makes some look gawdawful that turns out to be really great.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.