Galavant (ABC TV Series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Empire pulled a 3.8 with 9.9 million viewers for the premiere episode. Will have to see how it does as it progresses.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, no way did I ever predict Empire would get huge ratings. That was a big surprise for a lot of people.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I thought it would. . . Terrence Howard. . . Taraji P. Hansen. . . these weren't actors with just a smidgeon of name recognition. Also I think America was ready for just this type of show, based around African-American enterprise and music.

My biggest beef with the show is that they made Howard's character a gangster thug that made good, is offing his old buddy, etc. I wish they had kept the "drama" to "Nashville" levels. "Nashville" is a good show, soap opera, decent music, characters you begin to care about, even the worst of them. Lots of intrigue and dirty dealings but not murders et al. I think "Empire" would benefit if it stayed inside that sort of box with less extreme dramatic events.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife had this on when I went into the LR...I wasn't interested...

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My wife, myself, and both my teenage daughter and son all really liked it! That almost never happens! We'll keep watching, I love having a show that's not trying to be ridiculously hip or another procedural drama. At least they are attempting something different.

MikaelaArsenault and Deesky like this.
  6. Vidiot

Like that never happens in the world of hip-hop. Wasn't it only a couple of months ago that notorious gangsta rap label owner Suge Knight got shot six times at a nightclub? This crap goes on all the time in LA. You don't see anything near this much violence associated with rock or country or pop.

I'm kind of in shock, because 8 million viewers stuck with the first couple of episodes of Galavant, so incredibly, people seem to like the show:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/abcs-galavant-tvs-oddest-new-show-1420750793

We'll see how the ratings do tomorrow for the second batch.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't find it at all incredible. It was fun, charming & lighthearted. What's not to like?

MikaelaArsenault and Dr. Pepper like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My family enjoyed the second episode better than the first! It would be nice if the quality continued to improve. We'll see.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My beef is it will lead it into storylines I'm tired of viewing, wanted them to work a bit harder and come up with more interpseronal, less sensationalistic material. That would benefit them, imo.

I'm not surprised at all that Galavant was so successful in its slot but I've canceled the series on my DVR, just too vapid for me.

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's kinda stoopid?!? :agree:

MikaelaArsenault and Lonson like this.
  11. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It's mind blowing to me that this show would be remotely considered worst show of the decade. It certainly won't make best of lists, but it's better than a lot of crap on tv and a nice change of pace from same ol' sitcoms and tired crime scene dramas and definitely better the scripted non-scripted "reality" tv.

I'm guessing some people haven't watched tv in 20 years to even come up with such a thread for a show like this....

12. audiomixer

Ever heard of pay TV? :p

13. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

What all of you haters are failing to realize is this was based on a true story.

14. audiomixer

...with 21st Century bad jokes?!? :biglaugh:

15. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

Just like the one I made.:shtiphat:

16. audiomixer

:righton:

Roger Meadows likes this.
  17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Gee, I thought it was worst then that.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It may be silly, but it isn't stupid. There is a difference.

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:rolleyes:

20. Vidiot

No, it's not better than a lot of other crap on TV. It's really, really bad.

I agree that reality TV is worse, but I don't compare scripted TV to reality. Totally different animal, just as a game show or a news show isn't in the same category.

Allen Michael and audiomixer like this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think 99.9 percent of what's on TV is crap. I don't rant about the shows I don't like. I just don't watch them.

Andrew and Lonson like this.
  22. audiomixer

Not much of a difference.

23. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

That doesn't change my point.

Fine you can leave that out, that still doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of poorly written shows and sitcoms that do tired, unfunny crap like 2 Broke Girls and the like.

Honestly, I simply think that this show is ok, but I know people that like this kind of show and at least it offers something from the standard sitcoms out there.
    I watched the pilot and found some funny stuff, but could take it or leave it. My point is there are truly terrible shows out there and this isn't terrible. It might not be memorable, but nowhere near "worst" levels.

24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I could give you a whole list of shows that are stupid but not silly. Arrested Development is a good example of a show that is silly but definitely not stupid.

Deesky likes this.
  25. audiomixer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...never liked "Arrested Development".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.